Restoring music after upgrading to ios 5 GM

anon(4742831)

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Backed up my /var/mobile/media/itunes_control, installed ios 5 GM on iphone, did a restore, my apps are back. Then I copied the back folders from /var/mobile/media/itunes_control back to the iphone. No music is on the phone. Ideas?

Itunes reports 6.9 GIG of "OTHER" which I am assuming was the music that I moved back from the itunes_control, but I'm not seeing it, and don't like having 6.9 gig of "other" either.

zackawee27

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Backed up my /var/mobile/media/itunes_control, installed ios 5 GM on iphone, did a restore, my apps are back. Then I copied the back folders from /var/mobile/media/itunes_control back to the iphone. No music is on the phone. Ideas?

Itunes reports 6.9 GIG of "OTHER" which I am assuming was the music that I moved back from the itunes_control, but I'm not seeing it, and don't like having 6.9 gig of "other" either.

My a backup on iTunes and then sync it to you're phone.

anon(4742831)

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
My a backup on iTunes and then sync it to you're phone.

I performed a sync. Itunes shows no music on the phone itself. 6.9 gig of Other data is on the phone. I guess there is no way then to restore the music/artwork that was on my phone, prior to putting ios 5 GM on. I will have to manually copy all songs over again (as I manually sync my music in itunes)....................

Any idea how to get rid of that 6.9 gig of other data? Should I delete the itunes_control folder with SSH, and let it recreate it clean?

Again, had 4.2.8 JB on the iphone. Steps were Backup my iphone in itunes // Copy the itunes_control from my iphone to my pc // Restore the ios 5 GM // Restore the backup on my IPHONE (apps are now back on the iphone) // SSH and copy the itunes_control folder on my pc back to iphone. Left with no music on the phone, just 6.9 gig of other data.

zackawee27

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I performed a sync. Itunes shows no music on the phone itself. 6.9 gig of Other data is on the phone. I guess there is no way then to restore the music/artwork that was on my phone, prior to putting ios 5 GM on. I will have to manually copy all songs over again (as I manually sync my music in itunes)....................

Any idea how to get rid of that 6.9 gig of other data? Should I delete the itunes_control folder with SSH, and let it recreate it clean?

Again, had 4.2.8 JB on the iphone. Steps were Backup my iphone in itunes // Copy the itunes_control from my iphone to my pc // Restore the ios 5 GM // Restore the backup on my IPHONE (apps are now back on the iphone) // SSH and copy the itunes_control folder on my pc back to iphone. Left with no music on the phone, just 6.9 gig of other data.

The only way I know is to manually download them all back to iTunes.. Sorry

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
The upgrade process is multi-step. I had to:
  1. Backup the phone
  2. Install the software
  3. Follow prompts to sync
  4. Restore from the backup (step 1)
  5. Sync

Once that was done, everything was as it was before the upgrade, but with the GM version of iOS 5. If you have a large OTHER category, you need to do the restore from the backup that you just made and then sync again.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner