Total Newb Question regarding VZ Iphone 4 and IOS updates......Need help Please!

Johnny-5

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
If you're trying to go to 4.2.8, this is your issue: you don't have SHSH saved for that firmware, so you will not be able to load it. So then, your only option is load 4.2.10. Since this is the latest firmware, you can do it normally through iTunes; just make sure that before you open iTunes you go into Tiny Umbrella's advanced options and uncheck the box that says something like "set hosts to Cydia on exit". After that, open iTunes, connect your phone, and update to 4.2.10.

(And bear in mind, iOS 5 is right around the corner. You're probably going to want to update again in a week or so.)

Ok so Im downloading the latest firmware so lets see what happens. So now that Im upgrading this 4.2.10 how do I get it jailbreaked as I hear anything over 4.2.8 is not possible? Does that mean Ill have a regular IOS on it till there is a crack for it?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
You'll have 4.2.10, but you should be able to update to iOS5 and jb that pretty soon.
(And if you want, you should be able to have a workable tethered jb on 4.2.10 with redsn0w. See here.)

Update #7: Apple updated the iPad1 iOS5b6 IPSW without changing its version number or filename, so we?re releasing redsn0w 0.9.8b7 to handle both the original and changed IPSW. We?ve also added explicit support for a tethered 4.3.5/4.2.10 jailbreak (instead of pointing at the 4.3.4/4.2.9 IPSWs) and fixed a 4.2.10 problem.

Update #7b: About 12 hours after we released redsn0w 0.9.8b7 with some improvements for iOS5b6, Apple went and released iOS5b7 (what are the odds of that?!?). Even though that redsn0w could still jailbreak iOS5b7, you needed to point it at the iOS5b6 IPSW to do so. Today?s redsn0w 0.9.8b7b lets you point redsn0w directly at the iOS5b7 IPSW instead.

We?ve also added some overall improvements for old-bootrom 3GS owners (where the 24kpwn exploit applies): on those devices, you can tell redsn0w to untether 4.3.5 and lower, or iOS5b7. Old-bootrom 3GS owners can once again choose custom logos, and/or verbose booting (for the really nerdy iPhone3GS fans out there!). And it allows 4.3.4 or 4.3.5 users to use ultrasn0w again (if they have a compatible baseband).

Last but not least, we fixed some lingering Verizon iPhone4 4.2.10 JB issues.

Last edited:

Johnny-5

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
You'll have 4.2.10, but you should be able to update to iOS5 and jb that pretty soon.
(And if you want, you should be able to have a workable tethered jb on 4.2.10 with redsn0w. See here.)

Update #7: Apple updated the iPad1 iOS5b6 IPSW without changing its version number or filename, so we?re releasing redsn0w 0.9.8b7 to handle both the original and changed IPSW. We?ve also added explicit support for a tethered 4.3.5/4.2.10 jailbreak (instead of pointing at the 4.3.4/4.2.9 IPSWs) and fixed a 4.2.10 problem.

Update #7b: About 12 hours after we released redsn0w 0.9.8b7 with some improvements for iOS5b6, Apple went and released iOS5b7 (what are the odds of that?!?). Even though that redsn0w could still jailbreak iOS5b7, you needed to point it at the iOS5b6 IPSW to do so. Today?s redsn0w 0.9.8b7b lets you point redsn0w directly at the iOS5b7 IPSW instead.

We?ve also added some overall improvements for old-bootrom 3GS owners (where the 24kpwn exploit applies): on those devices, you can tell redsn0w to untether 4.3.5 and lower, or iOS5b7. Old-bootrom 3GS owners can once again choose custom logos, and/or verbose booting (for the really nerdy iPhone3GS fans out there!). And it allows 4.3.4 or 4.3.5 users to use ultrasn0w again (if they have a compatible baseband).

Last but not least, we fixed some lingering Verizon iPhone4 4.2.10 JB issues.

Ok so it appears that the 4.2.10 IOS update worked my phone appears to be download and backing up with my settings. So technically what your stating is that I should just wait it out than until IOS5 is out and than jailbreak it when able? Is it worth the jb with redsnow?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
If it were me I'd probably just wait for iOS5, but to each his own. For what it's worth, I've read a lot of reports of the 4.2.10 jb being kind of flaky. But I'm on AT&T, so I don't have any first-hand experience with that firmware.

The one good thing about being on 4.2.10 now is that you can try the jb if you want and if you don't like it you can just restore in iTunes again; no need to mess around with Tiny Umbrella, etc. So you don't have anything to lose except time.

Johnny-5

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
If it were me I'd probably just wait for iOS5, but to each his own. For what it's worth, I've read a lot of reports of the 4.2.10 jb being kind of flaky. But I'm on AT&T, so I don't have any first-hand experience with that firmware.

The one good thing about being on 4.2.10 now is that you can try the jb if you want and if you don't like it you can just restore in iTunes again; no need to mess around with Tiny Umbrella, etc. So you don't have anything to lose except time.

Massie TY for helping me out. Man I was stressing out yesterday with this damn phone! So I wont be able to use 4.2.8 IOS because I dont have the SHSH and thats what my whole issue was correct? Anyways as for jb Ill probably wait it out. Would rather have something that is working correctly than flaky. By the way I have Verizon CDMA if that makes a difference?

One thing that is killing me is that I had a good task manager I downloaded from Cydia which I dont have now but anyways do you happen to know something on itunes that can kill your applications holding the home button or equivlent?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Right, not having SHSH for 4.2.8 means you can't use it now that there is a newer firmware. As for the task manager, there isn't a similar one, but (and you probably know this) you can kill your apps yourself: double click Home button, tap and hold an icon in the multitasking tray, tap the red X on the apps you want to kill.

Johnny-5

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Right, not having SHSH for 4.2.8 means you can't use it now that there is a newer firmware. As for the task manager, there isn't a similar one, but (and you probably know this) you can kill your apps yourself: double click Home button, tap and hold an icon in the multitasking tray, tap the red X on the apps you want to kill.

Yea I know that way was just looking for something more similiar to the one I had prior. I guess I was spoiled on it. Thats cool. So do you know by any chance when the IOS5 is supposed to come out?

Oh another newbie question.....would there be anyway for someone to give me the SHSH file for 4.2.8? Or is it pretty much phone specific? Also is that even possible?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
iOS 5 should be out in a week or so. A jb (maybe tethered at first) should follow fairly quickly if the reports are right. As for the SHSH, they are specific to each phone, sorry. At least now you know to save them right away--live and learn!

Johnny-5

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
iOS 5 should be out in a week or so. A jb (maybe tethered at first) should follow fairly quickly if the reports are right. As for the SHSH, they are specific to each phone, sorry. At least now you know to save them right away--live and learn!

Talk about live and learn! I dont remember my first jailbreak being this much of a pain!!! But yea Im learning as I go. Wow so IOS5 is litterally right around the corner! Cool Ill just deal with this for now and try to enjoy the phone as a regular phone for once and keep up to date with the jb's and IOS5. Thanks again for everything and I may end up bugging you again if you dont mind! :D

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2