Multiple phones with the same account on IOS5

lucasite

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
So here's the deal. I have an Iphone4, the wife has an Iphone4.
We both obviously have very different messages, and mailboxes.
However, we both share the same itunes account, and the same music is synced to both phones.

So when the ICloud comes out, how will we have our own separate, private cloud for pics, messages. But still share the same music? I want to be able to buy a song in Itunes, and have it sync automatically to both my phone and my wifes. But obviously, messages etc cant be syncd.

Or do you think that wont be possible anymore?

Surely this is quite a common scenario isnt it?

Last edited:

Nicodm

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I can only imagine you would need to turn iCloud off if you want to keep it all there. All though the pictures is iCloud only come on the Photostream, the rest is personal to the individual device. Contacts how ever and iMessage, Calenders etc will all be the same.

DannyMichel

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
You know what? This is an awesome question. It doesn't effect me, but I can imagine it. I think it's something worth looking into for apple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

easyrun99

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
Surely consumers will be able to choose what automatically syncs from, and to, the cloud; much like you can set an iPhone or iPod to sync specific folders in iTunes. It's great question...

lucasite

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I can only imagine you would need to turn iCloud off if you want to keep it all there.
Im starting to think thats the only option. But then you end up sacrificing other features dont you?

I think either you use ICloud to sync just the music and nothing else. Or use ICloud to backup all your messages and pics, but then still have to manually sync your music.

It would be abit of ashame though.

Netherscourge

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure the next iTunes Update will have a new tab that lets you disable iCloud SYNCHING just like you can disable synching with everything else, like Apps, Music, Videos, etc...

I don't use synch anyway, I always wind up losing something on my iPod in the process.

Just do everything manually and you shouldn't have any problems.

trevgriff#IM

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully it works the way regular multi product syncing works now. On my Wife's iTunes account we sync; 2 - iPads, 2 - iPod touches, 1- iPhone 4, 2 - pc's and 1 - macbook pro, all have different music, movies, apps, and books that are specific to each device.

Netherscourge

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully it works the way regular multi product syncing works now. On my Wife's iTunes account we sync; 2 - iPads, 2 - iPod touches, 1- iPhone 4, 2 - pc's and 1 - macbook pro, all have different music, movies, apps, and books that are specific to each device.

Damn, Apple must love you!

lol

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure the next iTunes Update will have a new tab that lets you disable iCloud SYNCHING just like you can disable synching with everything else, like Apps, Music, Videos, etc...

I don't use synch anyway, I always wind up losing something on my iPod in the process.

Just do everything manually and you shouldn't have any problems.

That's doubtful. There's no iCloud tab in the current iTunes 10.5 betas. It will be controlled/configured via the device menu (settings/icloud) and possibly the iCloud site itself.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site

do you have completly different librarys in itunes for the different devices, or just select differnt things to sync? Me and my wife both use the same itunes, and she hates the fact that all of my music is on her iphone (she only has like 100 songs that she likes). The only work around that i thought of was to make her own playlist, and just sync that to her phone.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
do you have completly different librarys in itunes for the different devices, or just select differnt things to sync? Me and my wife both use the same itunes, and she hates the fact that all of my music is on her iphone (she only has like 100 songs that she likes). The only work around that i thought of was to make her own playlist, and just sync that to her phone.

IMHO, that is the correct way to address this issue. My wife and I have separate playlists and sync them to our devices. It's clean, neat and works for us.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
That's what we do for music too. But it doesn't address the issue of contacts, photos, etc...

I can't help with photos. For contacts, I set up groups: MINE and HERS. Obviously all of them get synched, but we filter by group. I use MINE, she uses HERS. It works for us.

Nicodm

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I had a look at iOS 5 GM on my iPod Touch and it does give you the option not to sync certain things but then it also doesn't back them up I think.

GigaS27

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
This is also a big topic for me. Ordered 2 iPhones for me and my wife. Currently share one iTunes account on my PC where i want to share apps/music we download. But since we both have our own google accounts, i want to keep that all separate along with our iCloud accounts...Boy is this going to be a big topic!

ECGcrackberry

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
IMHO, that is the correct way to address this issue. My wife and I have separate playlists and sync them to our devices. It's clean, neat and works for us.
Yes, we use different playlists for each of our family members as well. However, my situation is more complicated and I bet will be a problem.

I want to use 1 phone for business and personal. My contacts, calendar, memos, tasks, etc. are currently synched between my blackberry bold and my office computer (outlook) with blackberry desktop.

I have been told that when I get my new iphone4S, I will be able to synch my contacts, claendar, etc to my office computer with a new library and manually synch my music, videos, etc manually (my playlist) with the family's existing library.

However, will I be able to use the same icloud account for these 2 libraries? :confused:

BTW, shouldn't this thread really be in the icloud forum?

Pmt061204

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
From what I'm understanding if you have the 2 iphones you just set up different icloud accounts for each and set the settings for what you want synced and you won't have to worry about your wife's or your imessage and contacts getting mixed up. At least that is how I am understanding it.

musikaaa

Jul 15, 2009
Visit site
So here's the deal. I have an Iphone4, the wife has an Iphone4.
We both obviously have very different messages, and mailboxes.
However, we both share the same itunes account, and the same music is synced to both phones.

So when the ICloud comes out, how will we have our own separate, private cloud for pics, messages. But still share the same music? I want to be able to buy a song in Itunes, and have it sync automatically to both my phone and my wifes. But obviously, messages etc cant be syncd.

Or do you think that wont be possible anymore?

Surely this is quite a common scenario isnt it?

Heres what you do ---

Sign up for your own icloud account. One for you, one for your wife. When you go through iOS setup on your new phone or upgraded phone, sign into (or make) your own account.

Then, once signup is done, go to Settings->Store sign out of your account, and type in your shared iTunes account.

You now have your icloud account for all neat new icloud features, yet you share the same content from iTunes. It's win win, and it's what I'm doing on my phones and iPads in the household.

Basically, you have your own, personal, icloud accounts, yet you share an iTunes account which will handle your content from iTunes and the iTunes store.

Been running the beta, works like a charm. Youll love it.

Hope this helps! Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods