Whatever happened to Facetime over 3G in iOS5?

nicksak

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Longtime fan, firsttime poster... be gentle! :)

According to the comparison page between iPhone models over at apple.com, Facetime is mentioned as a feature on both iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S under iOS5, but it also says that Facetime requires WiFi.

Didn't Steve tout Facetime over 3G as one of the features added in iOS5 back in June? It seems to be absent from any product descriptions right now.

Or is it just like tethering - up to the operators whether they want to implement it in the contract?

briankeith513

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Longtime fan, firsttime poster... be gentle! :)

According to the comparison page between iPhone models over at apple.com, Facetime is mentioned as a feature on both iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S under iOS5, but it also says that Facetime requires WiFi.

Didn't Steve tout Facetime over 3G as one of the features added in iOS5 back in June? It seems to be absent from any product descriptions right now.

Or is it just like tethering - up to the operators whether they want to implement it in the contract?

I'd like to know the answer to this as well. Oh well, that's another reason for jailbreaking.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
It's carrier dependent.

You can use Yahoo, Tango, and I am pretty sure Skype right now over 3G for video calls.

briankeith513

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
It's carrier dependent.

You can use Yahoo, Tango, and I am pretty sure Skype right now over 3G for video calls.

This is not true. You could use all of those you just mentioned on every carrier. However, none of the carriers that offer the iphone, offer FaceTime over 3G.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
This is not true. You could use all of those you just mentioned on every carrier. However, none of the carriers that offer the iphone, offer FaceTime over 3G.

It is available on all iPhones, but can be turned on/off at the carrier level. (It can also be activated with JailBreak).

DaPhoneking

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm hoping that Verizon would enable this. You with think with all the Android phones that has front-facing cameras, and you can do this with both T-Mobile and Verizon, they would support the iPhone 4 as well...

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site

Sorry for not being clear. Facetime over 3G is carrier dependent in iOS 5; it is up to every carrier to enable it on their end. Same as visual voicemail, tethering, and mobile hotspot features.

Right now you can use Yahoo, Skype, and Tango for video chats on every carrier over 3G.

nicksak

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for not being clear. Facetime over 3G is carrier dependent in iOS 5; it is up to every carrier to enable it on their end. Same as visual voicemail, tethering, and mobile hotspot features.

Right now you can use Yahoo, Skype, and Tango for video chats on every carrier over 3G.

Ah, that clears it up a bit. Thanks!

zackawee27

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

I agree, leave it up to Sprint, Verizon or AT&T

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Unless you have unlimited data you probably don't want to be video chatting over 3G because you will fly right through your cap pretty quick.

jakej914

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
I seem to recall it being said that FaceTime was going to be enabled over 3G, but carrier dependent. Don't know what became of that.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I seem to recall it being said that FaceTime was going to be enabled over 3G, but carrier dependent. Don't know what became of that.

If you can't do it with your carrier, they're blocking it. What's not to know?

iOS allows it on all devices... so if you can't do it or get a warning/error, it's because your carrier decided NOT to allow it.

Genericmessage00

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Apple and verizon were in talks.

And by "talks" I mean Apple was telling Verizon to enable it over 3G, and verizon was complaining and saying no. They worry it can bog down the network (fair concern). Who knows whats going to happen on the 12th when everyone gets it. Maybe they'll let us!

zackawee27

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Apple and verizon were in talks.

And by "talks" I mean Apple was telling Verizon to enable it over 3G, and verizon was complaining and saying no. They worry it can bog down the network (fair concern). Who knows whats going to happen on the 12th when everyone gets it. Maybe they'll let us!

Yeah but, can you imagine like 2000 people facetimeing at the same time on 3G haha.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Yeah but, can you imagine like 2000 people facetimeing at the same time on 3G haha.

How is that any different from 2000 people using Skype video calling over 3G?

The obvious answer is that FaceTime is built in - so everyone has the app. Skype is available to all, but you have to go get it and install it and set it up, and... and...

Like most things Apple produces, it's just there and it works.

And for many, it's just a novelty - and when the newness wears off, many don't use it again. I bet I haven't used FaceTime more than 20 times total, including a lot when I first got it.

zackawee27

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
How is that any different from 2000 people using Skype video calling over 3G?

The obvious answer is that FaceTime is built in - so everyone has the app. Skype is available to all, but you have to go get it and install it and set it up, and... and...

Like most things Apple produces, it's just there and it works.

And for many, it's just a novelty - and when the newness wears off, many don't use it again. I bet I haven't used FaceTime more than 20 times total, including a lot when I first got it.

Yeah, but when I skype its basically with people on their computer's. Facetime is iPhone to iPhone/iPad (3G) So, Facetime would use up more of the providers 3G

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal