The Future of Cydia and Jailbreaking

DannyMichel

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Look, I'm not going to pretend to be some expert, or that I even know what I'm talking about as this is concerned, but I think the whole jailbreaking and Cydia thing is pretty awesome. I'm not the most optimistic person in the world though, so i had a question about that. I know how apple is about wanting to get every cent that they can out of people, and we also know that they are aware that a good majority of the pwoplw who jailbreak, use it to get free stuff. We also know that they are aware that there is a good percentage of the people out there who have iPhones do jailbreak.

My question: is it at all possible that they can somehow, if they decide in the future, to crack down on jailbreaking and cydia?

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
IMHO, Apple has already tried this by the quick little iOS updates that they put out every time an untethered jailbreak becomes available. It's all a cat and mouse game if ya ask me. Apple hasn't been successful at stopping the jailbreakers so far and I doubt they ever will.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I've often wondered about that?my best guess is that console devices have bigger lobbying groups behind them since they often have ties to Hollywood and bigger gaming dollars. But I believe the official reason was that jb'ing was allowed so people could use their handsets on a carrier of their choice. Interestingly, it's only legal to do it to your own device.

There are some good points about it all in these articles:
The jailbreaking exemption has its limits | News - Politics and Law - CNET News
Jailbreaking officially granted DMCA exemption | Phones | iOS Central | Macworld

Reactions: DannyMichel

DannyMichel

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I've often wondered about that?my best guess is that console devices have bigger lobbying groups behind them since they often have ties to Hollywood and bigger gaming dollars. But I believe the official reason was that jb'ing was allowed so people could use their handsets on a carrier of their choice. Interestingly, it's only legal to do it to your own device.

There are some good points about it all in these articles:
The jailbreaking exemption has its limits | News - Politics and Law - CNET News
Jailbreaking officially granted DMCA exemption | Phones | iOS Central | Macworld

very good. thanks.
[edit] just read those. interesting indeed. still kinda cloudy as to how they managed to make it illegal on consoles

Last edited:

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
very good. thanks.
[edit] just read those. interesting indeed. still kinda cloudy as to how they managed to make it illegal on consoles

Piracy.

Video game piracy is one of the main reasons to jailbreak a console. Yes there are other things that it can do, but piracy is still rampant. Most people who jailbreak a phone do so for tweaks and customizations that aren't otherwise available and not to pirate games or apps.

Multimillion dollar (or pound, euro, etc) gaming companies lobby very hard every day to stop piracy. That's why it's illegal on consoles.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I really dislike your tone. I'm sorry but I believe the developers who work hard to produce the apps on the app store deserve their paycheques, and Apple is no more money-grubbing than any other corporation. I don't like that you are making it seem like Apple is evil because they want to protect their developers from piracy.

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if that was directed at me, but...

I'm not saying that app developers shouldn't be protected from piracy. They absolutely should. They work hard and have every right to not have their work pirated.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Agreed, and I'm not sure the OP meant it any other way either. To me it just sounded like he was worried that piracy would make Apple crack down harder on jailbreaking in general...

Reactions: DannyMichel

djevolushun

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Speaking to a friend of mine in the industry stated that Apple is trying to add something to their phones that will work like windows with windows updates. If your phone doesn't transmit the correct signal then the phone locks down and can't be used. Apparently, jailbreaking your phone removes the signal or whatever it is and renders your phone useless. Of course I don't know how true or possible this really is but I thought it fit this category. Maybe somebody else has heard of this too.

DannyMichel

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Speaking to a friend of mine in the industry stated that Apple is trying to add something to their phones that will work like windows with windows updates. If your phone doesn't transmit the correct signal then the phone locks down and can't be used. Apparently, jailbreaking your phone removes the signal or whatever it is and renders your phone useless. Of course I don't know how true or possible this really is but I thought it fit this category. Maybe somebody else has heard of this too.
wow, if there is any truth to that, it will cause a major uproar. i barely ever jailbroke my iphones in the past and am on a vanilla iphone now, but i can imagine others would be upset

djevolushun

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Again, at this point it is all speculation so we will have to wait and see what transpires but at least this gives us something to talk about until we know for sure.

Worrying and speculating are like rocking in a rocking chair...it gives you something to do but it doesn't get you anywhere!

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
wow. wont really affect me, but that's gonna suck for a good percentage of the people on this forum

I've never rolled back, but I can see how this would be problematic to those that do.

It's not going to stop jailbreaking, though. I read in another thread that the dev team have already said they have found 5 exploits in iOS5 that they can use for a jailbreak.