Differences between iOS 4 and iOS 5

wchsxc

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
What features are in iOS 5 that make it a game changer or even worth the update? Newsstand is definitely not what I'm looking for haha. I always read the changes between each beta update but they don't mean much to me seeing as how I don't have the beta to visibly see the changes. I'm not doubting the innovation in iOS 5, I just kinda want to know exactly what I'm waiting around for. Thanks in advance.

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
You should go take a look at the Apple Keynote from June. Might answer a lot.

And regarding it being worth the update, why wouldn't you update? It's free.

wchsxc

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the link. I'm probably about to get jumped but none of what I read was very innovative. iMessage is a spin off of BBM. The notification center looks like a mix between an old jailbreak and Android. And the camera features are finally getting to the standard found on Symbian phones looks like. Twitter integration? That's not an amazing feature, that's a tie in with a fad. I think I'm just missing the bigger picture.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
well coming from a jailbreak background, i agree, these features are not earth shattering. however, for the people who have not, and that is the majority, will finally get to experience what we have for a long time already.

i am anxious to see what the decent jailbreak Devs can bring to the table with iOS 5

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm sorry, but threads like this make me think....I don't want a new microwave oven. The one I bought in 1982 works just fine. The new one isn't very innovative - it still uses the same microwaves. So what if it uses digital buttons instead of a dial - that's just like everything else.

<sigh>

Reactions: anon4705295

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I'm sorry, but threads like this make me think....I don't want a new microwave oven. The one I bought in 1982 works just fine. The new one isn't very innovative - it still uses the same microwaves. So what if it uses digital buttons instead of a dial - that's just like everything else.

<sigh>

ea536663.jpg

@WCXC:

Even if some of the updates in iOS5 only 'catch up' to features on other platforms...not updating would make no sense.

Last edited:

wchsxc

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
That's a good story. Unfortunately, electronics, and people, get old and die. We can only hope that their predecessors are innovative, intellegent, and survive longer so that they may give real answers to questions and provide more efficient means of completing everyday tasks.

Theophany

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I forgot about iCloud. It seems like it'll be pretty useful but having personal information stored by someone else is kinda scary. Especially with all the hackers having fun lately.

Guess you don't bank with anyone and don't pay taxes or participate in the census?

Get real and take off the tinfoil hat.

Calebswag7

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah some of the main features didn't seem all too too exciting for me either, I watched the whole thing. BUT they did announce only a few features out of the whole around 255 I think it actually offers? So yeah some of them aren't so WOW like newsstand of twitter integration, but I am looking forward big time to a couple features like the nonintterupting factor of the notifications, icloud, photo album creation straight on the device, new calendar creations, and the updates in email will be great. But there's hundreds more that you'll get to find out after updating so definitely update because they've improved every single app and aspect of it in at least one way guaranteed. And the icloud security, if your really that worried about it you'll pick what you want in icloud in your iTunes. But apple has never had any security threats. iOS isn't a junk android system that's 75% malware. iOS hasn't been found to have ANY security threats and you can dang bet they won't be starting anytime soon.

Sent from tapatalk
iPad 2 running iOS 4.3.5
Best buy employee
Free time apple enthusiast

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Don't forget, also, that some of the new features available in iOS 5 are strictly things that devs can use for their apps - like multitasking in iOS 4. So we won't see some of the real excitement until devs start adding in iOS 5 specific features to their apps.

Bosox20

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I have a dumb question... If I own the iphone 4, will i be able to download 5 onto my 4? so I would get alot of the advantages of the new iphone 5 but just on my 4, correct??

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I have a dumb question... If I own the iphone 4, will i be able to download 5 onto my 4? so I would get alot of the advantages of the new iphone 5 but just on my 4, correct??

Exactly. When iOS5 is released, it will be available for the iPhone4 (and possibly the 3GS). There may be some limitations when it comes to features that may be related to hardware changes to the iPhone(next), but the iOS will function well on the iPhone4. I've been running the betas all along, and I'm quite pleased with the way iOS5 is shaping up.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
(and possibly the 3GS).

iOS 5 is definitely coming to the 3GS as well, Apple has already confirmed this on their site. That said, after what happened with iOS 4 on the 3G iPhone, I would not jump on it until I saw how it was running for other 3GS owners.

Last edited:

Bosox20

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
ok, great.. so IMO, why spend more $ on the 5 when you can get most of the benefits of it right on the 4! :)

again, this is just my opinon and some people will want to buy the 5 no matter what, and thats fine.. for me, I only have so much $ so this would make better sense for me..

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
ok, great.. so IMO, why spend more $ on the 5 when you can get most of the benefits of it right on the 4! :)

again, this is just my opinon and some people will want to buy the 5 no matter what, and thats fine.. for me, I only have so much $ so this would make better sense for me..

Some people upgrade simply because they want to take advantage of the updated hardware changes that the new iPhone will bring. However, everyone's needs/wants are different and there is nothing wrong with keeping what you have as long as it still works well for you.