Jailbreaking VZW 4.2.10 with redsn0w 0.9.8b4

Lazybatusu#IM

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Since I've had my Verizon iPhone since it's release earlier this year, it has never been updated. I immediately jailbroke it and it has stayed that way for quite some time.
I updated to 4.2.10 yesterday in hopes to fix some compatibility issues with some apps, among other things.
I downloaded the ipsw for 4.2.9 (since .10 won't been recognized, a known error) and redsn0w (it's a beta, tethered version of 4.2.10's jailbreak).
The jailbreak was successful as it put a white icon named Cydia on the phone, in which I rebooted the phone via redsn0w with the options "Just boot tethered right now." Boom, Cydia in the flesh. Opened and loaded just fine.
I began hunting for my usual tweaks: BiteSMS, FoldersEnhanced, etc.
I pop BiteSMS in, it wants me to reboot. I let it. Then it hangs on the Apple logo. I attempt redsn0w to boot it back to life and no matter how good or bad my timing is, it simply hangs. I throw the phone into DFU and restore it.

Round 2. I do the same thing as before (after restoring my contacts and such from a backup) and instead of hitting the Reboot Device button in Cydia, I shut off the phone with it's red toggle. I use redsn0w to boot tethered. Same deal. Just hangs on a Pineapple now. I attempt this a few more times and it simply won't budge.

Round 3. Instead of going after tweaks, I see if I can get other repos. I get Cydia back on, throw Installous on the phone along with all parts of it (FYI, I do not pirate apps -- it's a try-before-you-buy answer for me). It doesn't show up in my app list. So I tether reboot the phone, which worked flawlessly and bam, Installous is on there and working.
After I move back to installing a tweak, the phone hangs on an Apple or Pineapple again.

Anyone else having this issue? I'm doing my best to try everything and hopefully generate some kind of answer for myself and anyone who is pulling their hair out.

djqstorm

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I am having the same issue as well. I have looked all over the net and found no fixes. Seems like there is just an issue with this tethered Jailbreak.

I miss my tweeks and being able to customize.

Anyword of anything new coming out?! Anyone have another method for us to try?

djqstorm

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
If you have your SHSH blobs saved you can downgrade, but if you don't it is not possible. I have tried many times many different ways, but it seems as if there is nothing that you can do about it.

The 4.2.10 tethered Jailbreak is terrible. Anything that you add from cydia that requires a reboot will require you to restore back to a stock 4.2.10, then start the whole jailbreak process all over again.

My advice, stay put!

Reactions: bestprocuts

moneymike47

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
But how long am I going to have to wait?! I don't want to have to wait till iOS 5 to jailbreak. And what is SHSH blobs? Cause I was jailbroken on 4.2.8 but then accidently updated to 4.2.10 and then lost the jailbreak.

Seven77

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I know. I was wondering if a Tethered jailbreak is worth it. How often would you say you would actually need a computer with redsn0w and 4.2.10 IPSW? I was previously untethered jailbroken with JailBreakMe.com 3.0 on VZW 4.2.8 until I did the mistake of downloading a malicious application which inevitably put my device in what seemed a bricked state. (Just apple logo) I hadn't saved my 4.2.8 SHSH blob so there was no way for me to return to 4.2.8. I was forced to update to 4.2.10 to fix my iDevice.

I'm currently in the process of getting all the files together to do a tethered jailbreak and see if I can stand it. If not I should be able to restore via iTunes back to stock 4.2.10, correct?

You'll have to excuse my newbness as I'm coming from a BlackBerry Tour & Samsung Galaxy Tab.

I just recently rooted and flashed a custom ROM to my Husband's HTC Thunderbolt. Which, was actually more complicated than I had anticipated, but I got it done and it's now rooted with CGMod 7 and MR2.5 radio....

Well, I'll stop going on and on now. :p

moneymike47

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Tell me how it goes, I'm contemplating the jailbreak cause I miss my apps for it. And the tethered part isn't the problem cause I never turn my phone off and it never dies, so the problems I've been hearing is that when you get an app from cydia that requires a reboot, it'll go into dfu mode and require you to undo the jailbreak and download 4.2.10 default

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Tell me how it goes, I'm contemplating the jailbreak cause I miss my apps for it. And the tethered part isn't the problem cause I never turn my phone off and it never dies, so the problems I've been hearing is that when you get an app from cydia that requires a reboot, it'll go into dfu mode and require you to undo the jailbreak and download 4.2.10 default

When you have to reboot you have to do dfu mode and in redsnow do the boot right now option if not the phone will boot but no Cydia or Cydia apps or tweaks atleast from my understanding I'm sure someone will jump in if I'm wrong

Seven77

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
It's pointless. If you install anything from Cydia and go to reboot it'll hang on the pineapple. (4.2.10)
After attempting tether jailbreak reboot with redsn0w

Seven77

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
You won't be able to if your >4.2.8(verizon). You cam restore to < 4.2.9 if you have shsh blobs of your idevice. I don't have any for mine so stuck on 4.2.10 until iOS 5 goes public.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro