Can't Restore to 4.3.3, Stuck in DFU

guid0mcman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
I managed to downgrade yesterday no problem but for reasons I won't go into I ended up needing to restore to 4.3.3 again today. I edited the hosts file, & had tiny umbrella running for the restore.

First time the iPhone went through the process & it seemed to fully restore, the installing bar went right across the screen. Then an error registered. Usually it's just then a case of kicking out of recovery mode now but hardware growler's reporting it's still in DFU mode & the screen's black.I can't find any advice on how to kick my iPhone out of DFU mode. Neither exit recovery nor fix recovery work, I'm guessing coz it's not in recovery mode. Holding home & power for 30 secs doesn't work either connected to or detached from the computer.

entronp

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I believe the problem is the hosts file, you dont need to alter that when you use TU, so change it back, reboot and reinstall using TU

I managed to downgrade yesterday no problem but for reasons I won't go into I ended up needing to restore to 4.3.3 again today. I edited the hosts file, & had tiny umbrella running for the restore.

First time the iPhone went through the process & it seemed to fully restore, the installing bar went right across the screen. Then an error registered. Usually it's just then a case of kicking out of recovery mode now but hardware growler's reporting it's still in DFU mode & the screen's black.I can't find any advice on how to kick my iPhone out of DFU mode. Neither exit recovery nor fix recovery work, I'm guessing coz it's not in recovery mode. Holding home & power for 30 secs doesn't work either connected to or detached from the computer.

guid0mcman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Ta for the quick reply but I'm afraid it hasn't worked. I'm almost immediately getting a (1600) error. I'm sure if I could just kick the thing out of DFU I'd find it restored properly.

entronp

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I believe if you use limerain at one point it will be at the recovery itunes screen, then you should be able to stop limerain, use TU since it only works with recovery not dfu, then hopefully us TU to install a firmware you have shsh saved for.

guid0mcman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
I tried going the other way, just using the edited hosts file & not TU. I'm now out of dfu but am stuck in recovery. Using "Exit recovery" on TU just reboots me back into recovery. Same if I use Recboot Exit Only. How do I exit recovery mode now?

guid0mcman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
I read somewhere that I should try running Redsnow on it. It hung on Activating Firmware bundles for ages then popped up in recovery again.

guid0mcman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Replying to myself again, I then tried exiting recovery again on TU & it sorted **** out. An amazingly ****ed up to do all told. This is why I never ever recommend friends to jailbreak. Still totally don't understand why doing exactly the same process yesterday as I had on the day before resulted in a phone stuck in dfu rather than a successful jailbreak.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I tried going the other way, just using the edited hosts file & not TU. I'm now out of dfu but am stuck in recovery. Using "Exit recovery" on TU just reboots me back into recovery. Same if I use Recboot Exit Only. How do I exit recovery mode now?

Something definitely seems wonky with restoring and maybe TU in recent days... maybe Apple has changed something or it is tied to them not signing 4.3.3 anymore... but what used to be fairly easy with only the rare iTunes error it seems like a lot more are popping up these days IMO based on the amount of posts/threads similar to this that I am seeing everywhere. Anyway, I have restored my iP4 a couple times in the last week due to some problems and have run into iTunes errors every time (sometimes multiple codes)... finally found the solution in the MacRumors forums that worked for me. My restore to 4.3.3 and jailbreak yesterday went exactly as follows, and the key point being to use the separate fix recovery app rather than the one built in to TU (note, these are Mac specific instructions):

-------------------
[snip] ...don't use the "Fix Recovery" from within the TinyUmbrella app, use the one on the homepage on the right side.

[snip]

Tools needed:
1. tinyumbrella AND Fix Recovery from here (right side): The Firmware Umbrella - TinyUmbrella
2. 4.3.3 firmware from here: http://www.redmondpie.com/download-i...-direct-links/

Prep work:
1. Have your SHSH on file with TU
2. Go to advanced in TU and make sure you have both Cydia options UNCHECKED
3. Open terminal and enter "sudo nano /etc/hosts" (do not include ""s), comment out any lines with any gs.apple.com in it by adding # at the very beginning of EACH line. Option+O to save, then Option+X to exit. Close terminal.

Instructions:
1. Open TU and start TSS server (TU will automatically kill iTunes if it was open)
2. Open iTunes and Option+click restore. Find 4.3.3 firmware and choose it.
3. Wait for 1013 error and your iPhone is in recovery mode (iTunes icon and cable).
4. Start Fix Recovery app (not the fix recovery button in TU). Choose the fixrecovery43 (stands for 4.3)
5. Put your iPhone in DFU mode by holding Power+Home until the screen goes black. Wait about 1-2 seconds and release Power but continue holding Home. If you did this correctly the screen will remain black and Fix Recovery will start its process. If the Apple logo comes up, repeat this step until you get it right.
6. Wait a while. Your iPhone will automatically restart and show up in iTunes. iTunes will prompt you to restore from backup.
7. Restore and jailbreak.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73