IOS 5 b4 on XP

wsm23#IM

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Please forgive me if this is an ignorant question, but I honestly do not know how to resolve this issue. My Macbook took a tumble down the stairs, so I am currently using an older PC that I gave to my son for school projects and what not. My issue is, I logged into my developer account and downloaded the Itunes 10.5 b4 and the IOS 5 b4 to install it on my Iphone and the Itunes is up and running just fine, but the IOS is no where to be found after downloading it to the desktop. When I open up Itunes to restore with the new OS it isnt even an option. Also, if I try to open the file where I downloaded the OS, it will not even open. Could this be an issue cause by working with Windows XP? I never had this issue before with my Mac.....Thanks for your info in advance.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Are you sure you downloaded it to the desktop? I always found tracking directory paths much easier on Windows than OSX.

wsm23#IM

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Are you sure you downloaded it to the desktop? I always found tracking directory paths much easier on Windows than OSX.

Yes Alli, I am sure. That is why this seems so strange. It is there, shows file size and all. Just cant access it for some reason.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Well keep in mind that if you download the file from the developer's site, it's only going to want to open on a mac since it's a .dmg extension. Windows has (as far as I know) ZERO ways of opening this type of file. Somehow it's going to have to be opened on a Mac first and then the file that shows up (ISPW file extension) can be opened in windows.

Reactions: wsm23#IM

wsm23#IM

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Well keep in mind that if you download the file from the developer's site, it's only going to want to open on a mac since it's a .dmg extension. Windows has (as far as I know) ZERO ways of opening this type of file. Somehow it's going to have to be opened on a Mac first and then the file that shows up (ISPW file extension) can be opened in windows.

Thanks Ghostface, I didnt even think of that. I'm not used to this damn old PC, haven't used it in years. :D

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Ghostface, I didnt even think of that. I'm not used to this damn old PC, haven't used it in years. :D

You should have... when you PMed me with this same question, one of the things I said to verify was to make sure you were downloading the Windows version of the iPhone firmware... that was 2 days ago...

The Windows version is available for download in the iCloud download area of the developer site.

:cool: #justsaying

wsm23#IM

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
You should have... when you PMed me with this same question, one of the things I said to verify was to make sure you were downloading the Windows version of the iPhone firmware... that was 2 days ago...

The Windows version is available for download in the iCloud download area of the developer site.

:cool: #justsaying

I wasn't thinking Hank, this PC has got me all ass backwards! I need my Mac back!

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
you're like me and the simple solution has escaped you. Just download the ipsw from the net it's all over the place. The only thing that matters is that your phone is registered, where you get the files to install doesn't matter. So just grab the ipsw from a torrent site and you're as good as gold.

wsm23#IM

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
you're like me and the simple solution has escaped you. Just download the ipsw from the net it's all over the place. The only thing that matters is that your phone is registered, where you get the files to install doesn't matter. So just grab the ipsw from a torrent site and you're as good as gold.

Thank you Sir! That sounds like a plan, any suggested sights that are more reliable than others? And my phone UDID is registered!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I know there is a windows version of the Itunes beta, but Im not aware of one for the IOS 5 beta 4??? Do you Hank?

Yes... it's in the iCloud download area...

Click on:
iCloud for Developers

then:
Downloads

then:
it's the first download link (iOS 5 beta 4) under iOS 5 Downloads. Follow that link, scroll down and pick your device.

Last edited:

wsm23#IM

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Yes... it's in the iCloud download area...

Click on:
iCloud for Developers

then:
Downloads

then:
it's the first download link (iOS 5 beta 4) under iOS 5 Downloads. Follow that link, scroll down and pick your device.

This is the same place I have been downloading it from, it is the .dmg file. It cannot be opened on XP.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73