is 4.2.8 still being signed?

kpxstar9

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
title says it all

im using the verizon iphone 4 running 4.2.6 still and used pwnage tool to create a custom 4.2.8 firmware bundle.

before i try restoring, is apple still signing that firmware version? id hate to go through the process of restoring just to find out that its not.

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
If they stopped signing 4.3.3 shortly after 4.3.4 came out (patching the hole that was used to JB 4.3.3/4.2.8 in the process) then I highly doubt that 4.2.8 is still being signed if 4.2.9 is out with those same fixes.

kpxstar9

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
If they stopped signing 4.3.3 shortly after 4.3.4 came out (patching the hole that was used to JB 4.3.3/4.2.8 in the process) then I highly doubt that 4.2.8 is still being signed if 4.2.9 is out with those same fixes.

is there any way to check if its being signed w/o going through the whole restore process?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
title says it all

im using the verizon iphone 4 running 4.2.6 still and used pwnage tool to create a custom 4.2.8 firmware bundle.

before i try restoring, is apple still signing that firmware version? id hate to go through the process of restoring just to find out that its not.

Apple is not signing anything except 4.3.4 and 4.2.9 (and for registered devices, iOS 5 b3).

Rodville

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Signing is Apple's way of slowing down the jail breaking coummunity
by only allowing the newest iOS to be restored to a iPhone/iPod. When you restore your device it checks with apple to see if it is the newest one. If not it doesn't allow the restore.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Excuse me for being dumb. But what exactly does Signing do?

It's Apple's way of authorizing your device and activating it to work. Technically, it doesn't check to see if it's the latest... but it check to see if it's a valid installation. Typically, after Apple updates the iOS version, they stop "signing" the older versions within a day or two. Once they stop, you cannot go back without having already been there and having saved your "blobs" or the actual activation signature for the iOS version. There are programs to that allow you to save the "blobs" and go back afterwards...

There are rumors that Apple is looking for (or already has) a way to stop this process too. The game of "cat and mouse" between the jailbreak community and Apple...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73