TreasonSMS

rosenstar

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Just got TreasonSMS, which should let me send texts over a wifi network. It has an icon on the screen, when I click the icon, it opens the app, but the app seems to be simply a toggle.

So, when the toggle is on, does my texting app work exactly the same but just through the wifi network? Or am I supposed to be texting using a completely different app or what?

If it is just a toggle, is there an SBSettings toggle for it?

There are certain spots where I always seem to lose service but have access to a wifi network, so this app idea is very attractive to me. Can anyone tell me more about it, how it works with BiteSMS or comment if there's any better alternatives or addons for it?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
After reading about the app I still can't tell if it requires cell service?I know you connect to your desktop, but it may need cell service still. If you want wifi-only SMS why not try Textie or Google Voice, which also seem like they may be better written/supported apps. (The Treason dev flat out says he doesn't know a ton about coding.)

Treas0n

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Well that's kinda harsh. Yes this is my first obj-c project, but I am a programmer for a living.

TreasonSMS2 is a sbsettings toggle. Once activated goto iphoneWifiAddress:8080 from firefox or chrome then the webpage will display your SMS and allow you to send through your phone from your browser. Yes it requires an SMS plan, and it adds to the SMS db.

Just because this is my first obj-c application, it shouldn't be written off as a bad application. Try it, it's totally free and we all have to start somewhere.

Reactions: Alli

Treas0n

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
No other app allows you to send from your real phone number. Google voice sends through the gv number bypassing your iPhones SMS db. So you need cell service and wifi.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for chiming in?I didn't mean to offend, I had just noticed your note about being new to objective-C. So is the main draw for Treason that it lets you use your laptop/desktop keyboard? And can it do MMS? That would be huge!

Thanks again!

Treas0n

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
No worries dude. It allows for reading MMS, not sending MMS yet.

I would post a screenshot but I'm not allowed as of yet.

The advantage over GV or some other app, is that the SMS originates from your phone number, not google's number.

I'm at a computer all day, so I wrote this for myself. It's a drag to pick up your phone to reply to an SMS. Especially because your boss knows you are texting.

It works with NotifyPro, so if you purchased that and install growl, you will get a desktop notification on a new SMS, double click that and the SMS webpage opens. Super easy IMO.

I've been getting some flack from non-american iPhone users also because I don't think sending SMS works for them. Maybe I'll fix it, I don't know. I wrote this for me, and decided to share with the community, but when I get angry tweets about it not working in France or Spain I'm not sure if I care.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I would post a screenshot but I'm not allowed as of yet.

How's this?
Screen2.jpg

Screen1.jpg

Sounds like a cool app...I'm at my computer all day as well, and it does get tiring always taking my phone out of the dock to reply. MMS would be a great addition if you decide to keep adding features--with so many pictures on my drives, it would really make sharing a breeze...

Treas0n

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Yea thats the old version. which was written last year. the new version is much better.

Here's the updated screenshot

i.imgur.com/Il8Le.png

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Yea thats the old version. which was written last year. the new version is much better.

Here's the updated screenshot

i.imgur.com/Il8Le.png

Oh, man, that looks great! (Excellent choice of examples, as well...) Does that mean, though, that the version available for download here is out of date?

(the updated screenshot)
Il8Le.png

rosenstar

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
So, if I'm using treasonSMS two, and someone text me, but I have no service, but I have the correct internet explorer window up, will I receive the text even if I don't initiate the conversation from treasonSMS two?

Just trying to understand the capabilities of the app, sorry if I'm sounding ignorant.

Treas0n

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
First off, Internet Explorer is unsupported. Use ff, chrome or safari.

Secondly, If you have no service, you can't receive an SMS. So treasonSMS won't show it.

So yes, you need wifi and cellular service. If you want something that doesn't send through your phone but through the internet, try google voice or something else.

rosenstar

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
First off, Internet Explorer is unsupported. Use ff, chrome or safari.

Secondly, If you have no service, you can't receive an SMS. So treasonSMS won't show it.

So yes, you need wifi and cellular service. If you want something that doesn't send through your phone but through the internet, try google voice or something else.

ahhh I see. Thanks for the explanation!

davidmaiden18183

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible to be able to use this to connect to your phone via an external internet connection. i.e. my phone at home connected over wifi and access from my works web browser? maybe by port forwarding on the wifi router or using dns redirection such as from dyndns.com

_alf

Apr 25, 2011
www.europeanag.com
ahhh I see. Thanks for the explanation!

this more for people who cant really text in the workplace or some other reason they cant be seen using a phone.

this is perfect for my job, i like it a lot.

its called wifisms now.

from time to time youll have to F5 every now and then, but the concept for what it is is pretty great. though initially when i first saw it it seemed as if it was for legit NO SERVICE wifi texting.

rosenstar

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
this more for people who cant really text in the workplace or some other reason they cant be seen using a phone.

this is perfect for my job, i like it a lot.

its called wifisms now.

from time to time youll have to F5 every now and then, but the concept for what it is is pretty great. though initially when i first saw it it seemed as if it was for legit NO SERVICE wifi texting.

Yeah... I think SMS GV Extension might do what I'm looking for (or close to it) if set up right. Anyone use try it out yet?