Swype Ported To iOS By Jailbreak (beta)

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Apple, iPhone and iPad Forums at ModMyi - Swype Ported To iOS By Jailbreak Developer

Swype, upon release, has been a popular alternative to the simple tap to type. With its patented sliding and recognition technology, your simple swipe of a finger through the letters of the word you're spelling out will spell out the word you desire. According to the Swype website, this software has been deployed to over 26 million phones in 50+ countries. The entire list comprises of Android and Windows OS phones; the iOS community was left out. Swype has promised beta testing for iOS however restrictions by Apple have made it difficult. Andrew Liu (@WyndWarrior) decided that the community couldn't wait any longer and decided to port Swype to iOS.

It's currently in its early beta stages but seems to work well. Andrew has confirmed that there are some limitations however he is working to fix them:

*The Swype beta does not work in AppStore applications or Cydia (only in stock iOS currently - he is looking to fix it today)
*No blue line to indicate where you are swiping

I can not confirm what devices/firmwares are supported (I'm currently on iOS 5 Beta 2 and it works fine) so test at your own risk. You can have access to Swype beta in the following ways:

(1.) Add this repository: wynd.x10.mx (includes http:// in front)

(2.) Download from mediafire: Swype Beta (v0.1.0)

Follow Andrew Liu (@WyndWarrior) on Twitter to keep up to date on the progress with the Swype Beta for iOS.

itsalexaye

May 8, 2011
Visit site
swype is a good product on the android platform but I never really liked it. I found I typed faster with the normal keyboard then with swype. but I may try it as jb tweak later.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i have not tried it. i am not brave enough to go with a tethered JB on a beta OS, and i have no plans of going back to 4.3.3

haxrnick

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Using it on ios5 beta 2 and seems to be a very good port for starters. Doesn't pick up words all that well right now but that's to be expected on the very first release. So far seems to be running great and love that it kept the iphone keyboard skin and not the dark skin that swype has as default.

haxrnick

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Hey BLiNK sorry I don't have enough posts yet to reply to PMs so I have to post here.

The only current apps I have right now are iFile and dreamboard. It's pretty smooth so far just like I said in the thread that it doesn't pick up certain words. Once it's installed you don't even know it is. It's just the iphone keyboard. Just start "swyping" and it works great for a first beta.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
thanks for the response. i am starting to get the itch to jailbreak again but have no plans on going back to my previous OS (4.3.3)

are you currently using the same device as your daily driver? also, any issues with random repsprings due to the iOS 5 beta.. if so did it render your device useless until you were able to do a tethered reboot?

P0stalTek

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Swype would definitely be cool, if only to shut up my droid fanboy co-worker. ;)

Keep us posted Blink!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haxrnick

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the response. i am starting to get the itch to jailbreak again but have no plans on going back to my previous OS (4.3.3)

are you currently using the same device as your daily driver? also, any issues with random repsprings due to the iOS 5 beta.. if so did it render your device useless until you were able to do a tethered reboot?

Yeah, ios5 beta 2 is my daily and really have no issues at all. I do get the occasional respring but that doesn't mess with the jailbreak. The only time I need to tether is when rebooting not on resprings.

Reactions: BLiNK

iRandom

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Using it on iOS 4.3.3 on my iPod Touch 4G. Working great! I haven't noticed any bugs thus far. The word prediction could always be improved though :p

vietalogy

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Happened with me too. After seeing it not move anymore I just hit cancel then viewed the repo and installed fine.

I viewed the repo and nothings there.

Finally got it installed and don't like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods