So I'm considering jailbreaking my iPhone 4

Jaimel0l

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I've only recently got myself an iPhone 4 and I was thinking about jailbreaking. I was hoping someone could tell me what it is the best method (currently looking at redsn0w), how safe is it, how buggy it is, and how you reverse the jailbreak (if you change your mind / something goes wrong).
Thanks very much for the help in advance!

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i am assuming when you say safe you're meaning security?? there are some horror stories out there, that's for sure.. my advice for someone just starting would be stay away from the cracked apps and you will be fine. also, when jailbroken, you will have the ability to change the root and mobile passwords on the device to help prevent certain situations, but that can be later on when you get more comfortable with everything

as far as being "buggy".. it's all relative as to what you put on your device. there are 100's of apps and tweaks out there that you can use, for free even, but are not it written (coded) very well and in turn make your device "buggy". keep in mind it's typically not the jailbreak that causes imperfections, it's the crap we out on our device afterwards

as far as going back to a stock or vanilla device--easy. just plug your device into iTunes select the Restore option and towards the end, when given the option, set up as new phone. you will lose all traces of the jailbreak but it comes with a price too. all of your other data as well. of course you can save photos/music/apps like normal but you will have to re-enter all of your vital information like when you first set up the device. this can be time consuming but a small price to pay in my opinion

i would like to suggest one thing before jumping into this. research and study for a while--maybe even a couple days or so. i did this for about a week before i did it, just to get familiar with the processes and lingo. take your time. jailbreaking opens up an entire new world but can become very daunting if you do not do your homework

lastly, there is a lot of info here in this forum that when using the search function WILL be very beneficial for you or anyone else if needed. in fact it probably wouldn't hurt just to continue using this thread for all of your questions or concerns until you get more comfortable. there are a lot of helpful people here but to be honest, just like in life, if they see you are willing to take the time to learn for yourself they have no problem helping you

good luck

iV1SHAL

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Very well summed up BLiNK. Good post.

I would just add that YouTube is your friend to get familiar on what to expect in each process.

Jaimel0l

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I have no problem researching it all before I take the plunge - just like I did on my Palm Pre before I hacked that sucker. I was just hoping I could get a few tips / someone could point me in the right direction because there are several different wants to go about jailbreaking.

In your opinions; what is the best way to jailbreak your phone? Redsn0w? Snowbreeze? Etc..

I understand that the more crap I put on, the more laggy my phone will get. I only plan to put the essentials on, e.g. qtweeter, bitesms and maybe a new notification handler + lock screen.

Thanks for clearing up the restore. I had heard that was the way to go about it but I just wanted to make sure.

Any more advice / tips would be muchly appreciated! Thanks very much for your help so far and future help

entwined82

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm on a PC. I used redsn0w to jailbreak my Verizon iphone 4. Its pretty straightforward.

If you're on an AT&T iphone and want to preserve baseband I think sn0wbreeze would be more up your alley.

entwined82

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I can't be sure as I'm in the USA on Verizon. O2 uses sim cards right? I've heard somewhere that they typically unlock phones on request of the customer. Redsn0w might be okay to use in that case.

The unlocking only matters if you plan on traveling to other countries and using a local sim card though. If not, its a moot point. Redsn0w is definitely okay then.

entwined82

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
From what I understand, preserving your baseband only matters if you're on a carrier like AT&T that won't unlock the phone. As I said earlier, it seems your carrier might do unlocking. Ask them. But it only matters if you plan on traveling to another country and using your iphone there.

I think it voids the warranty but its easy enough to reverse if something goes wrong. The way I see it..if the iphone is dead/won't turn on they won't ever know it was jailbroken. If you can at least turn it on, chances are you can load it up in itunes and restore to factory defaults.

Itunes can still be used, of course.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
and if I jailbreak my phone, can I still use iTunes? And will this void my warranty?

You can still use iTunes for syncing and anything else that you would normally use it for. While JB does void your warranty, if you do have an issue with your iPhone, just connect it to iTunes and restore it before taking it to Apple. They will still service your iPhone should you have a problem with it.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I have no problem researching it all before I take the plunge - just like I did on my Palm Pre before I hacked that sucker. I was just hoping I could get a few tips / someone could point me in the right direction because there are several different wants to go about jailbreaking.

In your opinions; what is the best way to jailbreak your phone? Redsn0w? Snowbreeze? Etc..

I understand that the more crap I put on, the more laggy my phone will get. I only plan to put the essentials on, e.g. qtweeter, bitesms and maybe a new notification handler + lock screen.

Thanks for clearing up the restore. I had heard that was the way to go about it but I just wanted to make sure.

Any more advice / tips would be muchly appreciated! Thanks very much for your help so far and future help

There really is no best way all the JB tools work really well and people just develop personal biases. The tools are as follows depending on which OS you are using

Mac - Pwnage Tool, Redsn0w
Windows - Sn0wbreeze, Redsn0w
there are other tools but these are more firmware specific since they are not always out for every firmware.

Pwnage Tool and Sn0wbreeze will wipe your phone because it reloads the firmware/OS so make sure you do a backup and sync before you start so you can restore after to get all your data(SMS, Game saves, Pictures, etc) back. The backup is only data so restoring will do nothing to your JB it has nothing to do with the OS. Redsn0w will JB the device and it will be the same as it was before you started the JB so although you should backup and sync before you start there will be no need for a restore afterwards.

The baseband is the driver for the modem that the phone part of the device uses. Some basebands have been unlocked allowing you to use the phone on any GSM carrier. The baseband usually gets upgraded when the firmware is upgraded and many basebands haven't and may never be unlocked. So in order to keep the unlock you need to preserve the unlocked baseband when upgrading the firmware. Only Pwnage Tool and Sn0wbreeze do this of all the JB tools so an unlocker will only be able to use these tools. If you're not concerned with unlocking then you can use any JB tool.

Depending on the age of the tool you are trying to use sometimes the download links in the tutorials are dead. You can easily find them by Yahooing it.

Pwnage Tool and others
iClarified - Tutorials - iPhone

Sn0wbreeze
iPhoneHeat | Jailbreak Unlock Guides, Firmwares, Apps, Themes

iPhone Firmware
iClarified - iPhone - Where To Download iPhone Firmware Files From

Unlock
iClarified - iPhone - How to Unlock the iPhone 4, 3GS, 3G Using UltraSn0w

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads