No camera icon in text message screen

loosylou

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I am very new to forums so please bear with me while I try to explain my problem.
Ok, I was in the US recently and thought I would check out buying an iphone 4 for use in Australia, never had one before, and how easy it would be to use it here.
Was told by the salesman that it would be easy peasy, just put your sim in and away you go. Well that aint exactly right. The phone is locked to AT&T which we do not have here in Australia. Apple here wouldnt help, only option was to send it back for a refund but costs about $60AU to send back and I might end up with no phone or money so asked my son what I could do. He jailbroke it for me and I brought a Gevey and unlocked it.
My problem is that I noticed the other day when I wanted to include a photo with a text message I was sending, I didnt have the camera icon to click on to add a photo. My son showed me his iphone and what I was supposed to have but I dont have it.
Have we done something wrong when we jailbroke it?
I cant remember if it had the camera icon in the message area before we jailbroke it because I wasnt able to use the phone.
My son said that he used the latest version 4.3.3 to jailbreak.
Should I reset it to factory settings and see if the icon is there?
If its not then I will be able to take it to Apple and hopefully they would just swap it over but I just know it aint gonna be that easy.
Sorry to be so long winded. Dont know how to say less.
Thank you in antisipation of someone being able to help me out :)

loosylou

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi Irandom, tried that just now. Didnt work. Now wouldnt it have been good if it was that easy. Sorry that I put this question in the wrong place too.
Think I will reset it and see if the camera is there and will unlock it again and see how I go.
Thanks for your help and response

mgregg99

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
If you're using a Gevey to unlock it's not necessary to jailbreak the iPhone. Perhaps restoring the iPhone and only doing the unlock might solve your problem, unless of course you want to jailbreak the iPhone. In that case, do the unlock first just to see if you have the camera icon. Then proceed to the jailbreak and see if it's still there and unlock again.

Reactions: loosylou

porksoda

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
loosylou > I think you should give apple in us a call and or the store you bought the phone just explain you bought the full priced supposed unlocked phone and its locked to at&t. The person who sold you the phone forgot to code in correctly so the imei of your phone never got into the whitelist for unlocked non subsidized phone. You probably will need the receipt and make a copy and email it to them.

this is ONLY offcourse if you bought the unlocked version at full price. We (In Canada) had a lot of these issues as the "genius" at apple stores screwed up a lot.

Last edited:

loosylou

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
loosylou > I think you should give apple in us a call and or the store you bought the phone just explain you bought the full priced supposed unlocked phone and its locked to at&t. The person who sold you the phone forgot to code in correctly so the imei of your phone never got into the whitelist for unlocked non subsidived phone. You probably will need the receipt and make a copy and email it to them.

this is ONLY offcourse if you bought the unlocked version at full price. We (In Canada) had a lot of these issues as the "genius" at apple stores screwed up a lot.

I did call them about the phone in the US but I will ring them again and see what they say about the IMEI thingy. Thanks

loosylou

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
If you're using a Gevey to unlock it's not necessary to jailbreak the iPhone. Perhaps restoring the iPhone and only doing the unlock might solve your problem, unless of course you want to jailbreak the iPhone. In that case, do the unlock first just to see if you have the camera icon. Then proceed to the jailbreak and see if it's still there and unlock again.

That was going to be my next question, whether I need to jailbreak before unlocking. I am going to ring the store in the US again and see how I go with the IEMI thing, if no luck with that I will do what you said.
Thanks everyone for your help

loosylou

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Good luck.

Just make sure before you do call that you did buy a NON SUBSIDIZED phone at full price.

Hi, how do you know if you have a non subsidized phone. All I know is I paid $600 + tax after being told, "yeah no worries, you'll be able to use it in Australia, no problems, just put your sim card in and away you go".
I just checked the receipt and it says "The iphone model is configured to work only with the wireless services of AT&T Wireless". So I gather going by that, I didnt get a Non Subsidized phone.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi, how do you know if you have a non subsidized phone. All I know is I paid $600 + tax after being told, "yeah no worries, you'll be able to use it in Australia, no problems, just put your sim card in and away you go".
I just checked the receipt and it says "The iphone model is configured to work only with the wireless services of AT&T Wireless". So I gather going by that, I didnt get a Non Subsidized phone.

You paid full price... therefore, it was a non-subsidized phone. You got a phone that was locked to a specific wireless/cellular provider... totally different thing.

loosylou

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
You paid full price... therefore, it was a non-subsidized phone. You got a phone that was locked to a specific wireless/cellular provider... totally different thing.

I am not sure what your answer is, as I paid $600 for it, should it have been non subsidized and should I call the store in US/

loosylou

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I tried the restore thing and the camera was in the messages but when I unlocked with the givey sim, it was not there, so must be something to do with the givey sim. Hmmm waht to do next?????

loosylou

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I tried the restore thing and the camera was in the messages but when I unlocked with the givey sim, it was not there, so must be something to do with the givey sim. Hmmm what to do next?????

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I tried the restore thing and the camera was in the messages but when I unlocked with the givey sim, it was not there, so must be something to do with the givey sim. Hmmm what to do next?????

Return phone get factory unlocked one would be my guess

loosylou

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi, thanks for everyones input. I called my service provider 3 and told them I had an unlocked AT&T phone and they helped me so I am now able to send messages with photos. They did say I would probably continue to have problems with the givey sim unlock and to get it properly unlocked by someone who knows what they are doing so I wont then need the givey sim. There is someone who can do it but quoted me $190 so if anyone knows someone in Melbounre who can do it cheaper let me know. By the time I am finished it will have been cheaper to buy a phone out right here in Aus

porksoda

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Hi, thanks for everyones input. I called my service provider 3 and told them I had an unlocked AT&T phone and they helped me so I am now able to send messages with photos. They did say I would probably continue to have problems with the givey sim unlock and to get it properly unlocked by someone who knows what they are doing so I wont then need the givey sim. There is someone who can do it but quoted me $190 so if anyone knows someone in Melbounre who can do it cheaper let me know. By the time I am finished it will have been cheaper to buy a phone out right here in Aus

The apple store that you bought this from in US screwed up. The person who sold you the phone sold you an "unlocked" phone and forgot to put the right codes in to white list the imei.

I would call that store and tell them you got an unlocked phone you paid $xxx and its not unlocked... they maybe able to help you over phone... or call apple USA.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

With the baseband I want to meet this guy for 190 to see how it's done unless it's a hardware unlock or something

mgregg99

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
... they helped me so I am now able to send messages with photos.

Can you share what they did to help you get the camera icon back? I just arrived in Thailand and unlocked my iPhone 4 using the Gevey sim. It works, but I also now don't have the camera icon for text messaging.

Thanks!

Mike

loosylou

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Can you share what they did to help you get the camera icon back? I just arrived in Thailand and unlocked my iPhone 4 using the Gevey sim. It works, but I also now don't have the camera icon for text messaging.

Thanks!

Mike
After I told him my situation and with a bit of fiddling around, he initially couldnt figure out why I didnt have the camera icon, so he must have went and spoke with someone about it, cause he then came back on the phone with the following instructions for me to do.
Go into
'settings', then
'general', then
'network', then
'cellular data network', under
'cellular data', they told me to write next to APN- "3services" (when you put it in dont put in the ")
then under MMS next to APN- "3services" (dont put in the "),
next to MMSC I had to put in a web address of hhtp://mmsc.three.net.au:10021/mmsc
then next to MMS Proxy 10.176.57.25:8799
and to turn off and turn back on again, and he so kindly waited while I did the unlock thing again with the GEVEY Sim to make sure that the camera icon was there and also when you go into your photos to make sure I had "MMS" there as well.
Now everything is working beautifully.

Last edited:

loosylou

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
With the baseband I want to meet this guy for 190 to see how it's done unless it's a hardware unlock or something

Sorry Peligro911, I have absolutaly no idea how he would do it. I thought $190 was a bit steep. Maybe I will wait and see how I go with the GIVEY thing, seems to be working fine now and if the phone does turn off, its pretty quick to unlock again now.
Might wait for a few more generations of iphones to come out and hopefully the unlocking price will drop like it did for the first iphones and then I will get it done

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal