iOS 5.0 beta 2 Bugs and Issues

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I am downloading and installing now, so l will report back. In the meantime, what have y'all seen that is fixed since beta 1?

BeyondtheTech

Jul 2, 2008
Visit site
Anyone know if it still breaks streaming apps like Netflix, HBO GO, etc.? It was a heartbreak leaving Beta 1 back to 4.3.3 because of it.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed that the Notification screen now shows your calendar items and I don't see a way to "dismiss" them. There is no X or [Delete] option like there was in beta 1 and that there still is for other items (email, for example).

The issue that I was having with the weather app showing the hourly forecast temps in Celsius seems to have been corrected...

And it looks like they've fixed the issue with the [INSTALL] button in the App Store - it's back to 'regular' size... and the apps to upgrade badge has been fixed so that it counts down/clears as the apps are installed/updated.

So far, so good. Still exploring...

Apparently my wife and Apple didn't discuss the release of beta 2... I will soon have a houseful of people for a dinner party... wahhhh, I wanna play :)

Last edited:

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Anyone know if it still breaks streaming apps like Netflix, HBO GO, etc.? It was a heartbreak leaving Beta 1 back to 4.3.3 because of it.

Why do people feel that apps that don't work is a bug with the os? The apps that don't work will continue to not work until the developers can update them to work under iOS 5. After all, that's the real purpose for the beta, not so TiPb readers can oooh and ahhh about the fancy new features.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
So here it is:

- Restored and attempted to retrieve my settings from iCloud (game saves, address book, general settings) and it did it half-ass. Settings restored fine, but it attempted to redownload all my games. It kept failing by telling me it couldn't download the apps (and was seriously slowing down the phone). I plugged it into iTunes and it noticed my restored settings (as well as missing songs/games) and attempted to sync my music/games. It's as if they were "fighting" to win the sync race. It didn't work.

I got frustrated and restored again. This time I restored from my last 4.3.3 backup and it worked fine. I lost a couple of contacts and my progress in the two latest Angry Birds updates. Not a big deal, I'd rather lose two chapters than all of it. That took a lot of work getting 3 stars in all Angry Birds variations plus the achievements. Gamecenter still remembers the scores though on those missing Angry Birds chapters.

Rebooted after a full sync and the phone is fine.

Wi-Fi iTunes sync is enabled (hardwired iTunes for the first sync), but doesn't seem to work right. Still testing.

My bug report:

- Exchange not pulling GAL when using active sync. fixed and improved

- No limit option to store all emails using active sync missing. Beta 1 had only a 1 month max history option fixed

- Camera forgets flash/HDR/grid changes partially fixed

- Camera app keeps thumbnail of most recent photo from camera roll on bottom left hand corner when the camera roll is empty. NOT fixed

- Safari randomly erasing browsing history when typing in previously viewed sites in address bar. Usually after a freeze/force quit. still testing

- Poor battery life. still testing

I don't use bluetooth, so I can't answer any of those questions. All of my games that had no sound while in action (main menus did have sound) are working now. My local radio station's streaming app still crashes on boot. I am still testing other functionality. I don't deal with a lot of manipulating of contacts so I can't answer anything on that. Also, I don't do calendars so I can't answer those either. iTunes doesn't display photo size properly, it things it is under the catagory other. That's a publicly known bug straight from Apple though.

Observations

Overall performance seems to be slightly improved. The iCloud icon in settings has changed colors to the official color scheme. Stock wallpapers are now back, but no new ones. AT&T profile is now up from 10.0 in beta 1 to 10.2.2 and the baseband is up from 4.11.04 in beta 1 to 4.11.06.

There has also been a notification tweak on the lockscreen. A new notification now shows up as the size of the old notification pop-up. It's a curvier look and disappears after a few seconds. It used to show up the same size as all the notifications on the lockscreen. It also seems to resize itself based upon how many notifications you have. No, you still can't pull down notifications from the lockscreen and you can't delete individual notifications. Either the entire catagory or nothing.

Now back to my thoughts on iCloud. When beta 3 is released, I will sync to iCloud and then try to restore my settings from that. If that messes up, I'll go back to my most recent iTunes backup. What got me the most is that iTunes and iCloud aren't smart enough to understand that they can work together.

I would like to see iCloud be able to restore my settings after a restore (which it did), but know that it has missing apps/music and at least ask me if it wants to use iTunes to reload what's missing (while keeping in sync with game saves/app settings). Don't start loading my apps from iCloud automatically. In this beta stage, it severely slows down the phone where I can't even use it. Maybe it will get better and iCloud isn't 100% loaded with all apps that they have.

That's all I have so far. Anything new or any updates and I will post it.

Last edited:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
How's the battery life on the second beta? It was unbearable on the first

Actually, for a first beta, it wasn't that bad, in my experience.

I haven't used the phone enough since upgrading to beta 2 to determine any changes... but I was happy with beta 1, and expect to continue being happy with beta 2 battery life.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm sleeping over at the GF's so I'll be doing the reload on my iPad tomorrow. It will be interesting to see if this will fix the problem of me getting back my 3G plan. I will be testing all the stuff again and I'm so close to loading it on my GF's iPhone.

bizfox

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I noticed that, when turning the Calendar app into landscape mode for the week view (with the month view in regular mode), the whole app either freezes or crashes. However, performing the same thing with the list and day views failed to yield the same result.

nyanyanmeow

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
seems like there's a small issue with safari.
try playing youtube via safari and u'll see the video controls are buggy.

and i tried installing itunes 10.5 on my windows 7 pc. works well except for the fact that it's laggy as hell when i'm choosing apps that i wanted to install on my ipad. no issues on my mac.

twizler3

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Actually, for a first beta, it wasn't that bad, in my experience.

I haven't used the phone enough since upgrading to beta 2 to determine any changes... but I was happy with beta 1, and expect to continue being happy with beta 2 battery life.

When installing the first beta did you set up as a new phone or restore from backup?

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
The REMINDER app still has issues. Intermittent crashed but the biggest bug is when you have a repeating reminder, let's say it should remind you to collect a payment every month. Now if you get it a day earlier and you checkmark the task, it should display the next due date next month, but it doesn't. And if I would get 2 payments today I should be able to checkmark for the next two months but again, it's not possible.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
When installing the first beta did you set up as a new phone or restore from backup?

I did both. First time through, I did a restore... Later, after I did a fresh install, just to see if it fixed any of the minor issues, and got the same general feeling that the battery life was pretty good for a beta 1 release. I didn't do any serious analysis of it, just a daily usage observation.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
seems like there's a small issue with safari.
try playing youtube via safari and u'll see the video controls are buggy.

Yeah the controls don't even show up for me at all with YouTube videos. I have to force quit. However when watching a video that CNN offers (non-mobile site), they work fine. Bug report submitted.

Last edited:

nyanyanmeow

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
some bugs are resolved but im kinda pissed off at itunes 10.5 beta 2 on windows 7. but meh. what to expect of beta's.,

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox