Think I've bricked a 3G Iphone... Redsnow and FW issues...

wmgk

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Hey Guys,

I was trying to wipe and reinstall an iPhone 3G, ran it via iTunes, forgetting I had jailbroken it prior.. Obviously the new FW install via iTunes failed and it hasnt turned on since...

I managed to get it in to redsnow this morning, and tried to get it to boot using the 4.2.1 firmware.. however this also failed, although the screen did show the pineapple etc..

What is the best way to wipe the handset, back to the original firmware etc...

I need this unlocked, but the main thing at the moment is getting it turned on.

Any ideas?

wmgk

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Also, When trying to access DFU I follow the instructions, but when it should turn on, my laptop makes 3 beeps, at the same pitch as though it cannot turn on...

Any ideas what that is?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Hey Guys,

I was trying to wipe and reinstall an iPhone 3G, ran it via iTunes, forgetting I had jailbroken it prior.. Obviously the new FW install via iTunes failed and it hasnt turned on since...

I managed to get it in to redsnow this morning, and tried to get it to boot using the 4.2.1 firmware.. however this also failed, although the screen did show the pineapple etc..

What is the best way to wipe the handset, back to the original firmware etc...

I need this unlocked, but the main thing at the moment is getting it turned on.

Any ideas?

When it was JB before was it unlocked or was the baseband updated ? I would try putting in dfu and load a custom Ipsw using iTunes shift and restore .

wmgk

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
The guy who sold it to me had unlocked it, it had already got cydia installed on it, He knows it wasnt redsnow he used, but cannot remember what he used, but it defo did not need to be tethered to boot...

Is there a way to find out what the baseband is once it is like this, currently the screen shows the USB lead, and iTunes....

How would I make a custom ipsw file?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
The guy who sold it to me had unlocked it, it had already got cydia installed on it, He knows it wasnt redsnow he used, but cannot remember what he used, but it defo did not need to be tethered to boot...

Is there a way to find out what the baseband is once it is like this, currently the screen shows the USB lead, and iTunes....

How would I make a custom ipsw file?

You can not tell the baseband unless you get it to boot
Do a google search there are custom ipsw to download use redsnow select the 4.2.1 original ipsw then just select to put in dfu mode follow steps then open iTunes hold shift and select restore then select the custom ipsw let it restore

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
If you need it unlocked then you can only use Sn0wbreeze(Windows) or Pwnage Tool(Mac). They both reload the firmware so it wont matter what firmware it's on now. In my opinion 3.1.x was the best firmware for the 3G but I know people running it on 4.2.1 and they are happy with it.

Go to iClarified - Apple News and Tutorials Tutorials, iPhone, Jailbreak to get Pwnage Tool
Search for iPhoneHeat.com to get Sn0wbreeze
look up the method for 3.1.3 or 4.2.1 whichever you decide to do
Follow the instructions, except make sure you put it in Expert mode not simple/general mode and check Activate this phone(Hacktivation)

Create your ipsw, put the phone in DFU mode and open iTunes. It will recognize a devic in recovery mode. Hold Shift(Windows) or Option(Mac) key down and click Restore in iTunes. Then browse to the ipsw made in whichever tool you choose let it reload.

Once the phone boots go to Settings-General-About and post up your Modem Version.

wmgk

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Hey,

I found a guide on this site to use snowbreeze 2.6 and firmware 4.3.2 untethered...

Would that make the phone run badly if I used that firmware?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
no prob I will check the thread in the morning. Just a tip when you run Sn0wbreeze and you get to the screen where the memory to use for the root is at the bottom set it to 1024MB. It gives it a little more room to breathe and I've been doing that for years now on all my JBs.

Reactions: Gigi100557 and wmgk

wmgk

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Hey,

I've found it, downloaded it, made it, and gone in to itunes, Its restored it all.

The modem firmware say 06.15.00 - but its not unlocked...

Any ideas what I have done wrong?

wmgk

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
ah ok, ive already got Cydia installed but when i try to access it, its like it times out and dies, i have it connected to my wifi connection... it just crashes and closes...

how do i reinstall Cydia?

wmgk

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
th, i just tried that a couple of times... I actually need to restore it again anyway because I have custom screens that I didnt switch off and meant too...

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
OK glad Massie helped you out, whenever you reload the OS you remove the unlock. You are on the iPad baseband but I wouldn't worry about it since it's a 3G you don't have warranty anyway. You are also on the highest firmware the phone works reliably with so there is no chance of upgrading so nothing to worry about. You already know how to reload it if you ever need to, so go back to my reply where I gave you the iClarified link and instead of going to Jailbreak go to Unlock. I find their instructions are much clearer than any others on the web. Yeah on a 3G don't enable multi-tasking or backgrounds it's hell on the phone. You can get backgrounds through Winterboard anyway. I'll check back also :D

wmgk

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Hey Guys,

I've done a bit of digging on google, and it seems that cydia has a fault on 3.1.3 - I tried using 4.2.1 but it wont install it, so I've gone back to 3.1.3 - however how can I get a version of cydia to install?

When I first select cydia it ends up giving a 404 error... even though I am online on wifi and can see the internet in browser...

Any idea?

wmgk

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Cydia tells me I am using out of data firmware... and to update my firmware. It is expecting 4.1

Should I rebuild it with 4.1?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2