Build ipsw with snowbreeze, load on mac?

Rusty Shackelford#IM

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
You guys rock. I have been swamped for the last 24 hours and haven't attempted Alveezys suggestion of the fixrecovery method. I will post with results when I can get to it. If it does not work which it sounds like it has/will I will just do it on the PC as per recommendation by Ipheuria, and call it good. I am attempting it this way for the knowledge it may grant more than the actual jailbreak so if I fail, no biggy. Although I do miss my3g. :) Thanks for the info guys.

Rusty Shackelford#IM

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Update:

Tried the restore with Alveezys restore method and was met with failure. Cleared the apple host files prior to the attempt. Used Pwnage tool to enter DFU. Upon verifying the install with apple, was met with this error "Cannot be restored. This device is not eligible for the requested build".

According to apples support pages this error occurs when restoring an older firmware that is no longer supported. Go figure. Using the same firmware i was before so this make no sense to me but thought those of you following would be interested to know I am back square one. As always, thanks to all of you.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
You're JBing 4.2.8 right? Did you search for my thread "What if you can't upgrade through iTunes"? The message you get in iTunes just sounds exactly like I would expect. If you still have the heart try this. Go to my thtead if you haven't already and just check the very first post I edited it to have all the information. Once that is done if you still have your ipsw made with Sn0wbreeze use Pwnage Tool to put your iPhone into DFU mode and hold Option click Restore and point to the custom ipsw.

PS
When you created the ipsw using Sn0wbreeze was it in Expert or Simple mode?
Did you have "Activate the phone"? (If you did remake the ipsw and make sure it's unchecked unless you are unlocked or trying to unlock)

Alveezy

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Update:

Tried the restore with Alveezys restore method and was met with failure. Cleared the apple host files prior to the attempt. Used Pwnage tool to enter DFU. Upon verifying the install with apple, was met with this error "Cannot be restored. This device is not eligible for the requested build".

According to apples support pages this error occurs when restoring an older firmware that is no longer supported. Go figure. Using the same firmware i was before so this make no sense to me but thought those of you following would be interested to know I am back square one. As always, thanks to all of you.

okay, i'm gonna say it again! for the 3rd time. no matter what you do, your gonna get an error if you try to restore to a custom firmware that's made from windows and into your iTunes Mac. that's just the way it is! you'll get some "Error 1***/This device is not eligible for the requested build" NO MATTER WHAT!>>>this is where fixrecovery421 comes to play. don't restore to stock firmware after whatever error you have. run fixrecovery 421 and put your iPhone on DFU mode by holding the power & home buttons for 10 seconds and then let go of the power button and keep holding the home button for 10 more seconds until you see nothing on your screen. if you successfully reach DFU mode, the script fixrecovery421 will detect it and it will run a bunch of codes. it'll look like it's jailbreaking your iPhone but it's not it's just bypassing recovery mode. you should be okay and your iPhone should still be jailbroken because of the custom firmware that you've installed. the host file thing...you just have to check if you have any gs.apple.com listed on there. if you do then you must get rid of it. SO AGAIN! NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO WHEN YOU INSTALL A CUSTOM FIRMWARE ON YOUR MAC, THAT WAS MADE FROM SN0WBREEZE, YOU'LL RUN INTO ANY ERRORS AND THE ONLY WAY OUT OF THAT ERROR IS FIXRECOVERY 421!

Last edited:

Rusty Shackelford#IM

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Alveezy. As stated, I followed your method to the letter twice now. The error code it is throwing is not 1xxx of any kind. It is not completing the restore process entirely before throwing the code because apple is recognizing it as an older software version. As a result, using fix recovery does not fix the issue because even after it runs the phone does not have all it needs.

That being said, it must be an issue with the firmware as indicated by Ipheuria. I am going to rebuild the firmware today and make sure I did so properly and will then try again.

Also, I am not posting because I am desperate for jailbreak and I absolutely have to accomplish it this way. I just want to see if I can get it to work this way as a search for knowledge. If others benefit from the thread, great.

Thanks again for the input.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Wow Sn0wbreeze must really do a number on the ipsw I've built so many custom firmware for Windows users using Pwnage Tool and the majority of them had no problem reloading with them. Well keep us informed don't forget to check out my thread to make sure your settings are all good to go.

Rusty Shackelford#IM

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
No go. Rebuilt the ipsw and nothing. Thanks to all who lent a hand. I think its time for my phone to take a break. Just got my element pro black oops case in the mail so some of the sting of failure is relieved. Thanks again guys.

AlwaysAnxious

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Alveezy. As stated, I followed your method to the letter twice now. The error code it is throwing is not 1xxx of any kind. It is not completing the restore process entirely before throwing the code because apple is recognizing it as an older software version. As a result, using fix recovery does not fix the issue because even after it runs the phone does not have all it needs.

That being said, it must be an issue with the firmware as indicated by Ipheuria. I am going to rebuild the firmware today and make sure I did so properly and will then try again.

Also, I am not posting because I am desperate for jailbreak and I absolutely have to accomplish it this way. I just want to see if I can get it to work this way as a search for knowledge. If others benefit from the thread, great.

Thanks again for the input.

So, I decided to run the process set out by Alveezy on my wife's iPhone. I had the same success as the first time. I received the same error as you mentioned, so I am not sure why you aren't having similar success. Did you ever get to the point of actually running Fixrecovery? Did you run it before or after closing the error message?

Rusty Shackelford#IM

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
First ran before the error message. Than looked closer and tried twice to the letter with no luck. Both times after running fix recovery I would get a permanent apple logo even though fix recovery seemed to go through all it's processes without a hitch. I think there must be a problem with the PC I'm using to build the ipsw or my MAC. Haven't determined which yet.

I have built the ipsw several times and until the last two times it created a different size file. Not sure why as I did not add or change anything between attempts.

Alveezy

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
First ran before the error message. Than looked closer and tried twice to the letter with no luck. Both times after running fix recovery I would get a permanent apple logo even though fix recovery seemed to go through all it's processes without a hitch. I think there must be a problem with the PC I'm using to build the ipsw or my MAC. Haven't determined which yet.

I have built the ipsw several times and until the last two times it created a different size file. Not sure why as I did not add or change anything between attempts.

make sure that your using the latest version of sn0wbreeze! since the pc and mac that you've been using to jailbreak your iPhone have been giving you problems...why not just find a friend that has a pc that you can use? all you have to do is build the custom IPSW on sn0wbreeze and restore to that PC. as soon as you get to the point of restoration where it's waiting for activation, just unplug it and you should be good. as soon as you plug it back to your mac with the iTunes that has all of your stuff in it, it should then let you sync whatever you have(just don't sync from backup<<<i high suggest not too, if you don't want to run into problems).

Rusty Shackelford#IM

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
What a day! Followed Alveezy's advice, double checked sn0wbreeze version. Still, no love. Googled a bit and found instructions on redmondpie of how to use pwnage tool 4.2 for mac and add the necessary files to create a custom ipsw on the mac for 4.2.8 ViPhone. Built custom firmware, restored to it and lo and behold, not a single hiccup and a familiar cydia icon. I will post the process i used a little later tonight if anyone is interested, but it is pretty simple.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh