Update to 4.3.3 from 4.0.1

Underworld

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I know NOTHING about jailbreaking!

I have a jailbroken iPhone that was done using jailbreakme.com

I have several jailbroken Apps that I don't want to lose (to the point of if I can't get these back I won't bother updating)

Now as far as I can tell you just download redsn0w (im on a mac if that makes a difference) and it basically updates for you, but i also read all kinds of things about basebands and such, which just looses me!

My phone was locked to a sim but using something from cydia, ages ago, I can now put any sim in, meaning I can use my international sim to call my foreign friends without breaking the bank, as well as the sim I got with the phone, this is a feature that I'd like to keep.

SO TO RECAP, I want to know how to...
Update to 4.3.3
Whilst keeping all my jailbroken apps
I want the ability to swap the sim out (don't mind adding this in cydia later if need be)

I'd be really grateful for any help with this, as simply as possible as I can't follow posts I've found elsewhere saying save your baseband etc!

All the details I assume you need...

iPhone 3GS 32GB
VERSION: 4.0.1 (8A306)
CARRIER: 02 7.1
MODEL : MC133B
MODEM FIRMWARE: 05.13.04

iRandom

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
For a "backup" of your Cydia apps, I just recommend writing them down on a notepad or something. Update via iTunes and jailbreak with redsn0w. You can unlock via ultrasn0w in Cydia.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Unless I don't understand why would he upgrade via iTunes wouldn't that update the baseband? Honestly JB and Unlock isn't something that is some simple after thought. You have to be willing to learn about it before you tackle it. So I would say if it works and has all the apps you like just leave it the way it is.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Agreed, if you can't follow the other posts about preserving your baseband and so on I'd stay where you are unless you have a knowledgeable friend who could do it in person. There have also been some fairly big changes since 4.0.1 so it's possible not all your apps are 4.3.3 compatible.

It's not impossible, but it's probably more headache than you want to deal with.

Underworld

May 9, 2011
Visit site
ok maybe I've come across as a litte too timid :)

I don't mind redownloading apps, I just meant that I'd rather copy them off of the phone and then dump them back as some of them are a bit of a pain to find again (but not impossible so that shouldn't be too big of a deal).

What is the baseband, why and how should I preserve it?

Is it correct that you have to update via itunes and then jailbreak? -seems a little strange if the unit is already jailbroken to then apply all of the "fixes" that apple send out...

(i'm not totally unfamiliar with following hacks etc, but I know nothing about phones and am finding it difficult to find out where to start)

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
It depends if your phone is unlocked which it sounds like it is, so No you can't update via iTunes. Go to Settings-General-About and tell us what your Modem Version aka baseband is? As an unlocker you can only use two tools Pwnage Tool(Mac) or Sn0wbreeze(Windows). If your tweaks are ultra important I think you should start by determining if they are all compatible with 4.3.3. If you have tweaks through Winterboard the easy way to back them up is to SSH in to your phone and download the var/stash/Themesxxxx folder to your computer. Then when you're upgraded and JbEn again just SSH it back to your phone. If you don't know what SSH is do a search on here for OpenSSH that should get you some theads with links. OK so as for upgrading Mac- go to iClarified - Apple News and Tutorials and go to Tutorials, iPhone, Jailbreak and look for Pwnage Tool and version 4.3.3 for 3Gs. The tutorial will tell you how to do it along with links to download the software. Then once you're ready backup and sync the phone because the process will wipe the phone. Windows - Go to iPhoneHeat | Jailbreak Unlock Guides, Firmwares, Apps, Themes and look for the Sn0wbreeze for 4.3.3 and again it should give you a tutorial and download links. When using either software you need Hacktivation because you are unlocked so no matter what the tutorial says put the software in Expert mode this will allow you to check the "Activate the phone" option. Once you're Jailbroken you will now have to unlock go to iClarified - Apple News and Tutorials and go to Tutorials, iPhone, Unlock and follow the really simple steps to unlock. The important thing is if you run into trouble ask for help here, stay calm and don't try things just because you think it might work. Above all if anyone tells you to just restore in iTunes DO NOT DO IT or you will lose the ability to unlock.

Underworld

May 9, 2011
Visit site
if you mean the modem firmware version I listed that above, but I'll put all the info here again:

iPhone 3GS 32GB
VERSION: 4.0.1 (8A306)
CARRIER: 02 7.1
MODEL : MC133B
MODEM FIRMWARE: 05.13.04

I think I've not been clear with my old post and that's my fault so I'm sorry.

I want all the apps back again - and wanted to save them to avoid having to re-download everything- BUT it's not the end of the world If I have to look for them all again.
Can't I just copy out the ipa files from itunes and copy them back after the update?

I don't care about themes and winterboard etc... gives me a good opportunity to find new ones :)

So my concern is the baseband (which relates to the unlock status I think:confused: ) so that I can swap sims out, how to save it?

and

then just update to 4.3.3 - Using Pwnage Tool(Mac) I think

sorry if this post is even more confusing!

My current understanding is:

I can only use Pwnage Tool(Mac)

I need to go to iClarified look for Pwnage Tool and version 4.3.3 for 3Gs.

Then once I'm ready, backup and sync the phone because the process will wipe the phone.

At this stage I will have a blank 4.3.3 jailbroken iPhone

Then I need to use Hacktivation (something I've never heard off and will need to research) and put the software in Expert mode this will allow you to check the "Activate the phone" option.

Once I'm Jailbroken I go to iClarified and unlock

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
You've pretty much got it right those steps so just head to iClarified and look up the tutorial and it will become clearer to you.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2