Visit site

Sn0wbreeze 2.7 Supported devices include:

* iPhone 4 (GSM)
* iPhone 4, iOS 4.2.8 (Verizon)
* iPhone 3G
* IPad
* IPod touch 3G
* IPod touch 4G

Step 1: First, download all the required tools and files to your Windows desktop:

Step 2: Start Sn0wbreeze, click the next ?blue? colored arrow to proceed.

Step 3: Select the required firmware .ipsw file (iOS 4.2.8 for Verizon iPhone 4, or iOS 4.3.3 for GSM iPhone, iPad & iPod touch) for your iOS device by clicking on the ?Browse? button.

Step 4: Sn0wbreeze will now identify the selected IPSW file. Once done, click the next ?blue? colored arrow to proceed.

Step 5: Now select the ?Expert Mode?, followed by ?Build IPSW? option to start creating your custom firmware.

Since building custom firmware may take some time, you can optionally play Pac-Man game to kill some time.

Step 6: Sn0wbreeze will greet you with the following ?Done!? message when the custom firmware has been successfully created.

Step 7: Now follow the onscreen steps to enter DFU mode using Sn0wbreeze:

• Hold Power and Home buttons for 10 seconds
  • Now release the Power button but continue holding the Home button for 10 more seconds
  • You device should now be in DFU mode
If you have followed the steps correctly, you will get the following message from Snw0breeze

Step 8: Start iTunes, click on your iOS device icon from the sidebar in iTunes. Now press and hold Left ?Shift? button on the keyboard and then click on ?Restore? (Not ?Update? or ?Check for Update?) button in iTunes and then release this button.
This will make iTunes prompt you to select the location for your custom firmware 4.2.8 (for Verizon iPhone 4), or 4.3.3 (for GSM iPhone, iPad & iPod touch) file. Select the required custom .ipsw file that you created above, and click on ?Open?.

Step 9: Now sit back and enjoy as iTunes does the rest for you. This will involve a series of automated steps. Be patient at this stage and don?t do anything silly. Just wait while iTunes installs the new firmware 4.2.8 (for Verizon iPhone 4), or 4.3.3 (for GSM iPhone, iPad & iPod touch) on your iOS device. Your iOS device screen at this point will be showing a progress bar indicating installation progress. After the installation is done, your iOS device will be jailbroken on 4.2.8 (for Verizon iPhone 4), or 4.3.3 (for GSM iPhone, iPad & iPod touch).

tibbi64

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Is this tethered or untethered? I am on 4.2.7 I really want to wait till greenposiOn comes out. It just seems easier than RedsnOw. I am new to Jailbreaking. Untethered means you can reboot the phone without a computer, yes?

iRandom

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Is this tethered or untethered? I am on 4.2.7 I really want to wait till greenposiOn comes out. It just seems easier than RedsnOw. I am new to Jailbreaking. Untethered means you can reboot the phone without a computer, yes?

Yes, untethered means that you can reboot your iPhone and still use all of the jailbreak apps.

zwoof

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

The redsn0w untethered jailbreak is no more difficult than greenp0ison. I'm no jailbreaking expert. All I do is follow the directions the fine people post here and it works. Even if you screw up the jailbreak, you always can bail out with the iTunes restore and start over. I goofed up the process and my phone was dead in the water but reconnected the usb, restarted iTunes, restored out of box and redid the jailbreak and worked perfectly fine. It''s practically foolproof.

Last edited:

laurido92

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to upgrade from 4.2.6 to 4.2.8 and i'm getting the error message that says IPSW file is not valid. I've downloaded this file afew times and still can't do it. Again, Any assistance will greatly appreciated.

mrwonka75

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I followed all the steps to JB 4.2.8. I went all the way to restore on iTunes but I don't have cydia anywhere on my phone. Not sure what went wrong can someone please point me in the right direction to get my JB going again? Or is it just as easy to go thru the whole process again? Thanks in advance.

zwoof

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to upgrade from 4.2.6 to 4.2.8 and i'm getting the error message that says IPSW file is not valid. I've downloaded this file afew times and still can't do it. Again, Any assistance will greatly appreciated.

Are you dragging the zip file into the window where it asks "drag the ipsw into me?"

Once it gets going, at some point, the actual .ipsw file will be created on the desktop which you will need later on during the jailbreak process.

Last edited:
Reactions: busyme

zwoof

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I followed all the steps to JB 4.2.8. I went all the way to restore on iTunes but I don't have cydia anywhere on my phone. Not sure what went wrong can someone please point me in the right direction to get my JB going again? Or is it just as easy to go thru the whole process again? Thanks in advance.

Did you hold down the <SHIFT> key, then press restore, then select the .ipsw file for ios 4.2.8? or just press the restore on iTunes? If you just pressed the restore, you will only be restoring the phone back to factory, out of the box unjailbroken state. You must use the shift key when pressing the restore on itTunes.

zwoof

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't quite know what the error 21 is but I had problems that caused my phone to be stuck in limbo so what I did was start from scratch. I reconnected the phone, iTunes opened up, detected the phone and did a clean install and just upgraded the firmware to 4.2.8 and made sure the phone worked properly.. Then I attempted the JB again and it worked error free. I don't know if i was having problems because I tried to JB to 4.2.8 from a jailbroken 4.2.6. I'm pretty sure it was supposed to work but when I got a restore failed, that's when I just started from scratch. I did get the error that deals with a line in the hosts file that threw me off which led me to start over. Maybe you could try starting over if that error 21 is a problem unless somebody knows why that error occurred and the fix.

Last edited:

mrwonka75

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Did you hold down the <SHIFT> key, then press restore, then select the .ipsw file for ios 4.2.8? or just press the restore on iTunes? If you just pressed the restore, you will only be restoring the phone back to factory, out of the box unjailbroken state. You must use the shift key when pressing the restore on itTunes.

Yea I did the left shift just like the step said and chose the .ipsw file. It went through the restore and told me I had like 29 things that weren't able to load??? Yes I am back to factory!! Can I just go through the steps again?? And do I have to download all the files and snowbreeze again?

zwoof

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Yea I did the left shift just like the step said and chose the .ipsw file. It went through the restore and told me I had like 29 things that weren't able to load??? Yes I am back to factory!! Can I just go through the steps again?? And do I have to download all the files and snowbreeze again?

I don't think that's necessary. Now that you got the device back to factory with the new 4.2.8 load, just try and run the JB again.

HellKatzX

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't quite know what the error 21 is but I had problems that caused my phone to be stuck in limbo so what I did was start from scratch. I reconnected the phone, iTunes opened up, detected the phone and did a clean install and just upgraded the firmware to 4.2.8 and made sure the phone worked properly.. Then I attempted the JB again and it worked error free. I don't know if i was having problems because I tried to JB to 4.2.8 from a jailbroken 4.2.6. I'm pretty sure it was supposed to work but when I got a restore failed, that's when I just started from scratch. I did get the error that deals with a line in the hosts file that threw me off which led me to start over. Maybe you could try starting over if that error 21 is a problem unless somebody knows why that error occurred and the fix.

This is how I did it also, I still got some errors but I a limped my way through and it worked.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711