Jailbreak Upgrade

bossfan61

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
iPhone 3GS (AT&T)
Firmware 3.1.3 (7E18)

Currently, my iPhone is jailbroken at the 3.1.3 firmware level. I've been thinking about upgrading to the iOS 4.x level. This is my first iPhone and I've never gone from jailbroken back to regular version. My main concern is that I have ~ 900 contacts, and most have their own ringtone and photo. I want to make sure that if I upgrade to iOS 4.3.2, that won't affect all the work I've done with the photos/ringtones.

Also, is there a way to back-up my jailbroken apps, then restore them if I decide to jailbreak again at the 4.x level? There's only a few Cydia apps I paid for, but I'd like to avoid having to buy them again.

Thanks!

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Anything that you paid for in Cydia should still be in there. When you get into Cydia, tap on "manage my account", and it should bring up all your paid apps. As far as backing up your contacts and such, everything should be backed up with iTunes. I also use Google, which gives me another source for back ups. Just sync everything through iTunes into Google, and you will be good to go.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Since you're on such a low firmware going back to stock should be as easy as hitting the upgrade button in iTunes. If you're in a work setting with firewall concerns then wait till you get home as I have learned recently. When you hit upgrade it should be as simple as iTunes just doing an upgrade of the firmware to the new version. Since your contacts are backed up through iTunes that should all stay the same just make sure you do a backup and a sync before you start the process. In the worst case you will have to put your phone into DFU mode if the upgrade is not successful and you will hit restore in iTunes and it will reload your firmware and upgrade it but after you just restore from your backup and everything will be put back the way it was before you started. Once you have done the upgrade head to iClarified - Apple News and Tutorials and look into Tutorials, iPhone, Jailbreak and look at the 4.3.2 methods and pick the tool you want to use. If you use Redsn0w it will not reload the firmware so everything should be easy peasy.

bossfan61

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
Great info; thanks! So how does this sound as to how to go about it:

1. sync iPhone to iTunes
2. agree to iOS 4.3.2 firmware upgrade
***contacts, caller ID photos, ringtones still intact***

3. choose current jailbreak method (redsn0w)
4. reload Cydia to restore apps

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Sounds good except along with sync I alwats do a backup too. Just right click the iPhone in iTunes and select Backup.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods