How does Redsnow rc14 works on your iphone?

imasteri

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Hello everybody,
I only have to know from anyone who is jailbroken: does your iphone runs same as first?
And are there any virus or bugs after JB??

Thankyou

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Well, no, there wouldn't be any viruses. It runs just the same. All the jailbreaking does is allow us to install Cydia, which hosts apps and packages, just like the App Store. This way you can browse your phone remotely, theme it, things like that. You could be more vulnerable, if you don't turn off your SSH or change the password, but it's not too big of a risk.

As for speed, I don't see any issues.

Reactions: imasteri

imasteri

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Well, no, there wouldn't be any viruses. It runs just the same. All the jailbreaking does is allow us to install Cydia, which hosts apps and packages, just like the App Store. This way you can browse your phone remotely, theme it, things like that. You could be more vulnerable, if you don't turn off your SSH or change the password, but it's not too big of a risk.

As for speed, I don't see any issues.
With 'change password' you mean: Download mobile terminal and change my current password??
If it is that, can I delete MobileTerminal after change?
And I heard that OpenSSH will automaticly run on the iphone. But how do I turn it off, or delete it?

Last edited:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Whats the name of uninstall tool?
And whats safer: turn SSH off or change my password?

In order to uninstall it you would go to Cydia and go to Manage then go to Packages or something like that and look for it in the list and uninstall. The safest thing to do is change your password and not install OpenSSH. However turning SSH off is just as good and you have more power to customize your phone. So if you install Mobile Terminal and change your username then install OpenSSH and SBSettings you can swipe across the top bar of your homescreen and turn SSH on and off whenever you need to use it.

uberspeed

Jan 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
redsn0w jb seemed to kill my battery, almost 10% an hour. Phone just sitting there and I made sure no apps running in background, just Phone and Mail.
I did the jb again with sn0wbreeze and now it's flaky but some days I get decent battery life, others I get bad battery life and the screen registers touches all wrong. I restart and it works ok for a while, better than redsn0w.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
10% per hour?? i am on 4.3.2 [iP4] jailbroken with redsn0w 0.9.6rc14

if i let my phone sit (no emails, texts or notifications) i only lose 1-2% per hour

uberspeed

Jan 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
10% per hour?? i am on 4.3.2 [iP4] jailbroken with redsn0w 0.9.6rc14

if i let my phone sit (no emails, texts or notifications) i only lose 1-2% per hour

Yes, 10% per hour. I observed the behavior many days, many hours. I would even use my work issued phone instead of my phone to just let it sit there doing nothing. For whatever reason sn0wbreeze has worked better for me, though at times I get the incorrect and erratic screen input registers. A reboot usually fixes it for me. On sn0wbreeze it's been much better, I see 3% per hour or so. I've been looking for an app to get stats, BB and Android have many apps to let you peek behind the curtains. Any suggestions?

I'm actually quite frustrated with iphone, I got the 4 thinking it would hold me over because my 3G was flaking out but it's been very problematic and unreliable. I expected more quite frankly. It's too limited to use non jailbroken and Android while it has a feature rich OS I still haven't seen one handset put it all together hardware wise. Samsung Galaxy S II has decent specs except the screen resolution is lacking and the industrial design is an eyesore to me.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I did the RedsnOw JB (with help from Ipheuria), and my rate of battery loss is about 1% every two hours. Are you sure that you used the right IPSW when you restored?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
uberspeed, if i were in your position i would highly consider restoring as new and re-jailbreaking, via redsn0w or sn0wbreeze

restoring as new always fixed unknown issues..

now, with every new iOS i restore as new before i jailbreak.. starting fresh before loading a new iOS and jailbreak is important to me.. at minimum, peace of mind can go a long way

in regards to an app that gathers stat info per individual app, i have not seen anything out there, yet. i agree, it would be nice to have something to show what exactly, in detail, what is being used, how much and how often

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
iPhone 4 iOS 4.3.2 jailbroken with redsn0w 0.9.6rc14

25g5qb4.jpg

uberspeed

Jan 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
uberspeed, if i were in your position i would highly consider restoring as new and re-jailbreaking, via redsn0w or sn0wbreeze

restoring as new always fixed unknown issues..

now, with every new iOS i restore as new before i jailbreak.. starting fresh before loading a new iOS and jailbreak is important to me.. at minimum, peace of mind can go a long way

in regards to an app that gathers stat info per individual app, i have not seen anything out there, yet. i agree, it would be nice to have something to show what exactly, in detail, what is being used, how much and how often

That was my next step but it's a painful one I've been avoiding, as I understand it it's recommended not to restore from backup and do everything again manually to start "fresh". Ouch, that's time consuming. Thank you for reiterating the advice, seems that will have to be my solution sooner rather than later if I'm to remain on iphone.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
restoring as new can definitely be time consuming but well worth it in the end..

i'm not a big gamer so saving game data is not a concern for me, although it can be backed up if needed

i backup my photos to my laptop and email them to myself, this is when i really decide if i "need" them on my device or just keep them saved

apps & music can be easily put back onto the device, as you know

notes; not concerned but i'm sure they can be backed up and added at a later time

emails; i have 6 accounts. when i first started restoring as new i would take screenshots of the vital info for each account and email them to myself so re-adding accounts was less painful... now i can do it with my eyes closed :)

contacts and calendar... i sync both with google sync. very convenient

uberspeed

Jan 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
Happy to report that my iphone is now running in tip top form. Restore as new with 4.3.2 (8H7) using shift+restore in itunes then did everything from scratch, painful and time consuming but overall I'd say it's worth it to be running jailbroken and smooth. Finally, this is the iphone experience I was hoping for. Battery life is next thing I have to watch for but it seems to be much improved as well thus far.
Thanks all!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal