Help on crashing springboard!

.BlackB3rry.

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi all!
I've had my VZ iPhone greenpoison jailbroken from day one with with no problem since February. Two days ago the last apps I installed were Make It Mine and Orbit. Messed around with MIM a bit then tried Orbit, that's when I got the message to make sure mobilesubstrate was enabled or something along those lines. After closing it springboard restarted automatically, all of a sudden I was in safe mode. Decided to bring cydia up to uninstall the app with no luck, no cydia. Rbooted the phone again and was in jailbreak mode. Brought cydia up but springboard crashes when I attempt to open it ( or any other app for that matter ) then goes in safe mode again.
Basically I've been dealing with this for the past 48hrs, googled and searched these forums for help but nothing seems to be of help. A few talked about some command line help to uninstall the apps but I don't know of any on my device, used to have Terminal which came with dtunes but uninstalled it when I took dtunes off. I tried to use IFile, went into that mobilestratrate thing to do what I was supposed to with the command line but neither MIM nor Orbit were there. Then navigated back to the / folder then found them in the apps subfolder then deleted both apps. As u guessed, didn't work. The apps desapeared from springboard but it's still crashing.
Comin here now as a last resort before I do a restore from iTunes.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanx for taking the time to read this long post, just didn't know how to say it in less words.

iRandom

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
It's because the Orbit app isn't compatible with iOS 4.2.6. You have to uninstall it via Cydia and everything shall be fine. But if Cydia is crashing, I'm not sure. :/

.BlackB3rry.

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for ur input iRandom. Unfortunately I don't have acces to cydia as of now which could have made solving my problem more straightforward. Well I'll wait till tonight, if I don't have any solutions I'll just do a full restore.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I say just do a restore and re-JB. I find that when you do alot of hacking and manual patching the OS becomes very flaky. When you redo it MIM doesn't work with iOS 4 so use FakeCarrier or something like that, GL.

.BlackB3rry.

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Ipheuria. I guess that's what I'll have to do.
Just one last question:
I'm running firmware 4.2.6, if I do a restore from iTunes will it restore it to this firmware or 4.3. If so, is there a jailbreak for that one yet? 'Cause I don't want to upgrade and loose some of my Cydia apps if I can't jb right away. Don't know how these things work.
Thanks.

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Ipheuria. I guess that's what I'll have to do.
Just one last question:
I'm running firmware 4.2.6, if I do a restore from iTunes will it restore it to this firmware or 4.3. If so, is there a jailbreak for that one yet? 'Cause I don't want to upgrade and loose some of my Cydia apps if I can't jb right away. Don't know how these things work.
Thanks.

I don't think there is a 4.3 firmware out for Verizon yet. Wasn't 4.2.6 the latest?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
yes 4.2.6 is the highest VZ goes right now. There is already a JB for 4.3 anyway. When you do JB be sure to save your SHSH blobs I have a feeling all the iPhones will be united on 4.3.2 and there is no JB yet since it's not out yet but rumored.

.BlackB3rry.

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
did you get it all sorted out?

Thanks for checking up on the issue. Yeah I finally did a restore after pulling my hair for 4hrs lol, 'cause the device got stuck in recovery mode with the black screen. Made a new thread here for help and someone suggested disabling my firewall ( because of error code 1013 I believe) and it worked.

Just got home did the gp jaibreak, said successful at the end but apploader won't load to install Cydia. I'm wondering now if the phone shipped with 4.2.1 or 4.2.6 firmware. 'cause when I firs did it in Feb it all worked fine on the first try. Do I need a different jailbreak method? Just tired from work, will try again tomorrow.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Just load the loader and leave it until the phone locks and keep doing it. I had the same prob on my iPad and after 7 tries it loaded fine and I installed Cydia.

.BlackB3rry.

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys! I just realized that my phone is running on 4.2.7. I did my restore on Thursday and directed itunes to the 4.2.6 file I had previously stored on my PC. Have no idea when the upgrade took place. Maybe itunes automatically decided that wasn't the current firmware and restored it with the right one? Could this explain why after the jailbreak apploader is not installing Cydia?

.BlackB3rry.

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to all who tried to help!
I think all my worries are over for now.
After I found out the phone was running on 4.2.7 I downgraded to 4.2.6 with tinyumbrella then did the jailbreak with greenpoison. I feel like a pro already lol.
The first thing iTunes asked was if I wanted to upgrade to 4.2.7, I was like hell no lol.
Ok, time to get busy with Cydia and avoid incompatible apps, the reason of all this trouble :mad:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73