Jailbreaking and Unlocking Confusion

conyoman

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

I've recently jailbroken and (attempted to unlock) my iphone. However, with the new SIM in it, the iPhone is constantly "Searching..." for a network

Details are:

iPhone 3g
iOS 4.2.1
Model MB489B
Modem firmware 05.15.04

I used redsn0w 0.9.6rc8 for the jailbreak (standard options - I didn't do the iPad firmware and am wondering if this is my error?)
I then installed Cydia
Then used ultrasn0w (repo666.ultrasn0w.com) for the unlock.

I tried greenpois0n but it didn't recognise the phone in DFU so opted for redsn0w.

So what have I done wrong? I've been through loads of sites, walkthroughs etc and can't see what i've done wrong in the unlock procedure.

If it is that I need to go to the ipad firmware - is that possible now it's already jailbroken?

Could I try blackra1n for the unlock?

So confused!.....:confused:

A few more details that may (or may not) help:

Jailbreak didn't work on my vista machine, only my XP machine.
With the new SIM card itunes no longer states "SIM is unsupported"...leading me to believe the unlock has sort of worked.
In the settings on the phone, it recognises the new SIM (or carrier) as orange (which is what the new SIM is - originally O2)

EDIT: just noticed that the ipod player isn't working either now! It starts to load / open a track, then drops back to the album view.....wtf is going on?

Last edited:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Before you can follow these instructions you must have a jailbroken iPhone and you must be on the 04.26.08, 05.11.07, 05.12.01, 05.13.04, 06.15.00, or 01.59 baseband(modem firmware). (iClarified site)

As you can see your baseband is not in that list. So you're right you need to do the iPad baseband in order to get it to be unlocked. iTunes doesn't say unsupported SIM because you probably hacktivated the phone when you did the jailbreak(JB). You still need to unlock in order to use the phone on the unsupported SIM. You can still redo the JB it will be fine so redo the Redsn0w steps this time load the iPad baseband. Then redo the ultrasn0w and you should be good.

conyoman

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Hey, thanks for the pointers.

ok, I'll redo the jailbreak with redsn0w, and i'll do the baseband.

No hactivation - phone was already activated on the O2 SIM card.

I'll post the results to see if that cures the issues in case someone else has this problem

....i agree - jailbreaking is cool!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

conyoman

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Hey, thanks for the pointers.

ok, I'll redo the jailbreak with redsn0w, and i'll do the baseband.

No hactivation - phone was already activated on the O2 SIM card.

I'll post the results to see if that cures the issues in case someone else has this problem

....i agree - jailbreaking is cool!:rolleyes:

OR

Would it work if I downgraded my baseband (via fuzzyband on cydi) to 05.13.04?

The warning on redsn0w for never returning to a normal iphone baseband is kinda scary (should i be worried about that?)

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
You can try fuzzyband but it's never worked for me. The thing is that you have a 3G so it's got no warranty with Apple anyway. If you're an unlocker you can't run stock firmware anyway so the warning to me doesn't really apply to the 3G. It is still up to you though so yeah try fuzzyband before pulling the trigger and doing the iPad baseband. I've done it on 2 3G phones and they work fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2