n00b question about data when un-jailbreaking

gmelish

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for the question, but I couldn't find a definite answer. I'm going to update my ipad, and I'm wanting to just leave it un-jailbroken. I have a lot of class notes in one of my apps, and I was wondering if that data will still be there after I update my ipad. (I may have obtained the app without paying for it if that matters :rolleyes:). If I just back up the ipad with itunes and the update, can I reinstall the app and the data still be there (even though I haven't officially bought the app yet)?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Does the app in question have a means of exporting the class notes to a text file that can be extracted and saved elsewhere for archival purposes? If so - do that. Then, do the OS upgrade, buy the app, then restore the last back-up you have for the iPad. If the notes get restored from back-up, you're good. If not, you've got the archive file - still good. Win-win.

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
one thing to watch out for is that iTunes Backup ALSO backs up some of the jailbreak data and directories.

I know this because with each new update (4.0, 4.1, 4.2), I did a full hard reinstall of the iOS. I think it was with the 4.1 install I did a restore from backup after the install. Then I jailbroke the iPad. When I went into the directory structure with SSH I found that much of the data from the previous jailbreak were still there, just with slightly renamed directory titles (the titles had a period with random characters following it).

This also happened on my iPhone. This is problematic since previous jailbreaks appear to eat up storage space on the device (example, old Winterboard theme folders and items, etc).

Once the 4.3.x jailbreak is released I plan to restore my iPhone as a clean slate, no restore from backup, jailbreak it and go in with SSH to make sure the OS install (even a full install) isn't just ignoring these jailbreak directories, then clear them all out.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
You could also while you're JBen just find the app folder through SSHing into the device and download it to your computer. This would also be another form of backup to atleast make sure you have it. Also you shouldn't use apps without paying for them devs need money too. Just imagine if whatever job you have people were getting that service somewhere without paying for it. How would you feel about getting fired although people are enjoying the fruits of your labor?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro