Any statement from MyWi?

matthew23

Jan 5, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone know if the compan for MyWi have said anythnig about the AT&T threats to transfer plans if they catch you tethering? Anyone know if it is possible for MyWi to update their program to prevent AT&T from knowing>

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I doubt the devs for MyWi would respond to AT&T, you're JBing so even though you pay for the data you're still in the wrong. Just like when Apple impliments changes to thwart JBers same concept. I'm not sure the devs could change it because as far as I've read they are reading the way your data is being transferred and the amount to determine that you are tethering without the plan. So I'm not sure how the dev would be able to change the way the data is accessed.

bonkerbids

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I thought they were just targeting users with high transfer rates. How can they tell from transfer rates that the data is going to another device?

w00dy

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Probably if your ip is surfing the web using a browser that is typically NOT supported; like Mozilla or Chrome.

A friend of mine recieved a text. So we checked his Data history. Upwards of 30gb/month since September...

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
People like that SHOULD BE targeted. That's absurd usage.

I agree. Don't they have any other access to the internet? Heck, go hang out at McDonalds and use their wifi if you're too cheap to have home internet... no wonder AT&T is fighting back...

w00dy

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Believe it or not, there are areas in the states where the 3g is faster and/or more affordable than the local internet connection. Plus, he is using skype to keep in contact with his son in Iraq.

But let me ask...What do you consider unlimited...? And how about being a customer since late 2001?

I dont really think its going to bite anyone in the ass. This is a chance for sme of these people to OPt-out of their Att contract with out facing any repercussions

w00dy

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Yeah... He tethers about every device he can. But mainly his laptop.

His son's tour will be complete by end of July 2011. Unless a ****storm is born from this latest debacle. Only time will tell.

I always thought I was an "abuser" until I saw his data usage. I run about 3-5.5,6gb/month. Little tethering as of late to other devices. Mainly streaming Howard Stern and heavy browser usage

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I consider unlimited go be, well...unlimited. My question is, what is he tethering with, a laptop??

I agree... unlimited should be unlimited, but unfortunately, by "unlimited" the carriers used to mean 5GB... apparently, it's less... but that is not the point...

Unlimited wireless is for the phone... tethering is a completely separate "feature", for which the carriers charge. It doesn't matter that there are JB apps that make it possible, it's still a violation of your agreement... and to pour salt in the wound... in order to get the tethering option, you must forego the "unlimited" data option and "max out" at 2GB or pay additional fees for additional data.

I don't make the rules, I may not like the rules, but they ARE the rules, and as a contracted customer we're all obliged to follow them.

And the purpose/function of breaking the rules is not germane to the discussion... I understand the desire to keep in touch with a family member serving in Iraq, and I am grateful to that family member for his/her service... but again, THAT's not the point of this discussion...

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
I agree Hank, unlimited on the HANDSET is what we pay for. Woody's friend is an abuser and should be targeted because he is doing all that illegal tethering. I see no harm in some light tethering to surf the web and check email and whatnot...streaming TV shows is not cool.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
... and not that it's relevant to the discussion, either, but I've been with AT&T since early 2001... and that earns me... NOTHING. I get a bill, I pay it. I get the service that I agreed to and I use it... whether or not Woody's friend (or anyone) has been a customer since Hector was a puppy has no bearing on whether or not they are expected to follow the rules...

... and I doubt trying to invoke the "material adverse change" clause will work since he is CLEARLY in violation of his part of the agreement...

BigLan

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I agree Hank, unlimited on the HANDSET is what we pay for. Woody's friend is an abuser and should be targeted because he is doing all that illegal tethering. I see no harm in some light tethering to surf the web and check email and whatnot...streaming TV shows is not cool.

What if your streaming TV shows via NetFlix and/ or Hulu on your phone? Unlimited is unlimited and should be left alone. I can easily do 6-8GB/mo watching & listening podcast and Internet radio stations with no problem. And that's not counting watching movies & TV shows on NetFlix or Hulu. I don't tether at all and would hate to be forced into a plan that I don't use. AT&T sees this JBing tethering as illegal (period). Woody's friend is doing nothing more then everyone else is doing with the JB tether. It's stealing plain and simple, or it should be accepted under the unlimited plan.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
What if your streaming TV shows via NetFlix and/ or Hulu on your phone? Unlimited is unlimited and should be left alone. I can easily do 6-8GB/mo watching & listening podcast and Internet radio stations with no problem. And that's not counting watching movies & TV shows on NetFlix or Hulu. I don't tether at all and would hate to be forced into a plan that I don't use. AT&T sees this JBing tethering as illegal (period). Woody's friend is doing nothing more then everyone else is doing with the JB tether. It's stealing plain and simple, or it should be accepted under the unlimited plan.

The point is that it's NEVER be "legal" under the contract... you can get tethering for an additional fee and with the restrictions that AT&T (or VZW or any other provider) sets up... you either agree or not... but choosing NOT to agree to their terms doesn't make it OK to circumvent their policy...

BigLan

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
The point is that it's NEVER be "legal" under the contract... you can get tethering for an additional fee and with the restrictions that AT&T (or VZW or any other provider) sets up... you either agree or not... but choosing NOT to agree to their terms doesn't make it OK to circumvent their policy...

Hank, I agree completely. I'm simply stating that AT&T started by offering an unlimited plan and now offering a limited plan either 250MB, 2GB, or 4GB with tethering. So my question is this, "what happen to the Unlimited Plan and when did unlimited mean a 5GB cap?" I'm not trying to fight the system, just trying to understand why I might be force into a plan that I don't use (tethering) and taken off the so called unlimited plan.

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site

Watching TV on my iPad (yes I tether via MyWi for surfing but I also pay AT&T $25/mo for the 2GB - so my tethering is using Verizon, but my watching TV is AT&T)...So, watching a 3 hour show eats up about 350MB. If I watched a 3 hour show every day, that would come out to just a little over 10GB a month. So to use 30GB, he must be watching TV 8-10 hours a day. I call that excessive.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh