Brand new user, REALLY want to Jailbreak but am very intimidated!

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone!

I am a pretty new iPhone user (however, I absolutely love Apple products). I picked up a Verizon iPhone last Friday and will never go back to another smartphone.

Anyway, I've been seeing/reading a lot about jailbreaking my iPhone and I think I'd like to do it! On the flip side, I'm also really worried I'm going to royally screw up my iPhone (if you all only knew how attached to this thing I really am). Few quick questions for the board:

1) What are the real benefits of jailbreaking?
2) Are apps free? Do you pay for them? Is there an online catalog for Cynia apps? I guess having to pay a ton for apps might be a deal breaker.
3) I know JB is reversible, but is it an easy process?
4) A friend of mine JB her iPhone 3G and said it became very laggy, will my ViP4 become laggy as well?
5) I've seen conflicting reports on JB affecting battery life - does it? I have a charger for work, a car charger and 2 chargers at home, so it isn't really an issue but I'd still like to know!

I've also read the article on tiPb and it seems like JB is as easy as 1, 2, 3.

If the feedback I receive here is good, I might try and tackle the jail break tonight because I'll have a couple of free hours.

Thanks for your time and help!

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
1) Too many to list. See sticky thread about top JB apps.
2) Many are free, some you pay for, just like the regular app store.
3) Very easy. Plug into iTunes and hit Restore.
4) No.
5) You'll be fine. I'm jb'ed, run themes and apps all day and rarely fall below 50-60% battery by bedtime.

Definitely worth trying; if you don't enjoy it, see step 3.

Reactions: iLive an iLife

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
First, spend some time exploring this forum.

1) An app store (Cydia) full of apps/tweaks/etc outside of Apple's walled garden. In other words, you can do a whole lot more with your iPhone beyond what Apple thinks you should be doing with it.

2) There are free and paid apps. Typically (IMO) the apps that are well done and offer great functionality that is missing in the stock iOS tend to cost. Prices are usually $3 to $10.

3) Easy as plugging it in to iTunes and restoring.

4) No... the iPhone 4 is MUCH faster with more memory than the iPhone 3.

5) No real negative effect for me. My iPhone easily makes it a day on a single charge which is all I need.

The Jailbreak utilities do a pretty good job of telling you exactly what to do so it can jailbreak -- basically you have to get the phone in to DFU mode which is a process of holding down the sleep and home buttons for a specific amount of seconds. Greenpoison has a timer and text prompts to help you.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
You don't need to be afraid since the first generation iPhone Jailbreak(JB) can't mess up your phone past anything that a reload of the firmware/OS can't fix. Well before you begin the JB process be sure to do a backup, sync and transfer purchases on your phone. This will enable you to restore all your data and settings if you need. You can do this by right clicking on the phone in iTunes in the left column. You should probably use Greenpois0n since it's the quickest and easiest method. So go to iClarified - Apple News and Tutorials and look through the tutorials for how to do it and get the tools.

2) Are apps free? Do you pay for them? Is there an online catalog for Cynia apps? I guess having to pay a ton for apps might be a deal breaker.
4) A friend of mine JB her iPhone 3G and said it became very laggy, will my ViP4 become laggy as well?
5) I've seen conflicting reports on JB affecting battery life - does it? I have a charger for work, a car charger and 2 chargers at home, so it isn't really an issue but I'd still like to know!

1. JB allows you to customize your phone, and run 3rd party apps that aren't allowed by Apple. Take a look in the Post your lockscreen thread to get an idea of how you can customize your phone.

2. There are free apps and paid apps in the cydia the black ones are free and the blue are paid or the other way around I can never remember. They aren't expensive they are pretty much the same as the pricing in the Apple Store.

3. It depends what you consider easy, if connecting your phone in iTunes and hitting restore or upgrade if there is a new firmware out is what you call easy then yes:D I mean it can go wrong and you'll get errors but even vanilla iPhones have that problem too. Just post up here and wait for responses don't try every crazy thing you read somewhere on the web.

4.You are listening to someone who isn't fully informed and not a power user and like everything else that will not be the best feedback. The JB doesn't make your phone laggy it's what you do with it that does. If you run a million different tweaks then yes your phone will become laggy. Also the person might have had old hardware like a iPhone 3G? which are even laggy on newer firmware. What I mean is there are too many factors to take it at face value.

5.I was permanently JB for three years on my 1st generation iPhone and 3G and I never had battery issues. It's not the JB that does anything to your battery it's what you do with the apps, tweaks, etc. I would suggest thought that when you JB it you run it for a day or two with minimal tweaking. If you notice the battery draining then redo the JB. I have had one, and only one instance on my iPad where the JB for some reason caused the battery to drain faster than usual. It's not something that will creep up on you it will be apparent in the very first day or two.

mededitor

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
You've gotten excellent answers from some of the best of the best here. Let me add a couple of things as a relatively new Verizon iPhone4 user and a former BlackBerry user.

Like you, I was nervous about jailbreaking. I read everything I could find about the process on these boards (for example, How to jailbreak iOS 4.2.6 on your Verizon iPhone 4 with Greenpois0n | TiPb) and even watched a couple of YouTube videos so I could actually see what would happen before I did it; IMO, this video was the best of what you'll see during the process: YouTube - Jailbreaking the Verizon iPhone 4 (Greenpois0n) (4.2.6).

Jailbreaking was as easy as everyone is saying and now that I've done it I don't think that I could ever run an iPhone without it. My primary reasons for jailbreaking were to improve the notification/alert system and sound profiles that were nonexistent on the iPhone, but were basic operations on the BlackBerry. I did that through "MyProfiles" and "LockInfo," two apps that made my iPhone perfect for me.

I've done a lot more tweaking as I've become more comfortable with the jailbroken OS. You'll find a lot of help from people around here, they really are great.

I haven't seen any downside to jailbreaking, it's all been good. You can always restore to your original settings through iTunes, just make sure to do a backup prior to jailbreaking.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone! I was gone much longer than I thought, but it was great coming back to all of these responses!

A couple other questions, building off of what has been said already.

1) Every time I plug my phone in it syncs and says it's backing up data. Is this what you mean when you refer to a backup or is there a separate process for this? Is there a special place where these backups are saved?

2) Mededitor, Profiles are one of the FEW things I miss from BlackBerry. I always kept my BlackBerry on Silent but I adjusted the profile so that calendar events would still ring. I do freelance marketing work on the side and need reminders to follow up with clients on certain days. The lack of Profiles has been a huge problem, I've actually gotten a lot better about looking at my calendar. How much were those apps?

3) If I JB my iPhone, can I still use iTunes, iCal, iPhoto, etc? Will all of my existing apps work (got to have Tiny Wings)?

The price for apps isn't too bad. I just didn't want to spend another $100+ buying JB apps for my phone.

I think that's all the questions for now. Jail breaking keeps sounding better and better. I'm going to do some research tonight and I might give this a shot tomorrow! Thanks again, guys!

mededitor

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Between MyProfiles and LockInfo, the only thing that my BlackBerry did that my iPhone doesn't do is provide LED notifications. One of my custom profiles is to only enable SMS notifications while everything else is silent. I really don't miss the LED anymore, although I think there is an app on Cydia that makes your flash act as a notifier. Truthfully, if not for jailbreaking my iPhone would have been returned because notification profiles are imperative for me. Like you, I am a freelancer (medical editor) and I have to keep on top of what's going on with my clients.

Regarding your other question, the answer is yes. Everything will work as it does on a stock iPhone.

Go for it, I think that you will be shocked at how easy it is to jailbreak and how much it improves the phone.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, Med! I think I am just going to give it a shot tomorrow night. I'm not crazy about having to buy all the JB apps, but the developers need paid for their time and effort.

I'll be sure to report back what I think!

Also, how do I make a backup of my phone (just in case something goes wrong or I want to go back)?

Thanks!

cmrngetty

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Hello everyone!

I am a pretty new iPhone user (however, I absolutely love Apple products). I picked up a Verizon iPhone last Friday and will never go back to another smartphone.

Anyway, I've been seeing/reading a lot about jailbreaking my iPhone and I think I'd like to do it! On the flip side, I'm also really worried I'm going to royally screw up my iPhone (if you all only knew how attached to this thing I really am). Few quick questions for the board:

I've also read the article on tiPb and it seems like JB is as easy as 1, 2, 3.

If the feedback I receive here is good, I might try and tackle the jail break tonight because I'll have a couple of free hours.

Thanks for your time and help!

Hey, I was just like you when I first got my iPhone 3G. I was very skeptical about the jailbreak scene, but I decided to delve in and just do it.

1. There are too many benefits too list. You have the option to theme and totally change the look and feel of your iPhone. You can have tons of tweaks and modifications like better notification systems, block callers, and a lot more that makes functioning your device much easier. If there's anything you wish your iPhone had straight out of the box, the jailbreak scene has it.

2. You don't get most apps through Cydia, you get them through Installous. All of the apps in Installous (which is pretty much a replica of the App Store) are free and easy to download. Cydia is more for tweaks and more technical stuff, like the things listed above. Once you download Cydia, you can find all the apps that Cydia has in an "online catalog" tab called "Sections." But the availability of apps in Cydia depend on your sources. Sources are pretty much filing cabinets and literally "sources" for your apps.

3. Reversing a jailbreak is very easy. Simply hook it up to iTunes, backup all your contacts and photos and apps, and then click the "Restore" button. Or, if you don't want to backup, just go to Settings on your iPhone and there will be a "Reset" or "Restore" button. I'd recommend the restore option through iTunes.

4. Your iPhone 4 will not become laggy. The iPhone 3G is lightyears behind the iPhone 4. I had a jailbroken 3G and it was very laggy. Now I have a jailbroken iPhone 4 and there is no lag at all. The lag-factor depends on how much junk, apps, photos, tweaks, etc. you have on your phone.

5. Jailbreaking doesn't usually affect battery life. Like I said, the more tweaks and things you have running will affect battery life?but not drastically. My iPhone 4 batter lasts me through 8:30 a.m. to 10:00 pm at night when I charge it, and I look at e-mails, surf the web, listen to music, and play games on it throughout the day. Jailbreak will not make a noticeable difference when it comes to battery life.

Just do it, it's fun :)

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, Med! I think I am just going to give it a shot tomorrow night. I'm not crazy about having to buy all the JB apps, but the developers need paid for their time and effort.

I'll be sure to report back what I think!

Also, how do I make a backup of my phone (just in case something goes wrong or I want to go back)?

Thanks!

When you plug your phone into your computer and iTunes is open, on the left-hand side, down about halfway, you will see your phone name (mine is Ken's iPhone) and just right click on your phone name and you will see see several options, one being back up.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm really sorry, but I don't think I asked for any pirated information. Is jailbreaking considered pirating?

Also, I wasn't implying or asking for pirated JB apps. I'm just not crazy about spending a ton on applications. If I JB, I will though.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
No, not you. One of the replies mentioned an App Store replica that's basically just a way to steal apps. It was nice, actually, to see you mention devs deserving to get paid.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
iLive an iLife

You should support the developers by buying your apps through Cydia. I won't lie to you, as there are some sites where the apps may be free, but i wouldn't trust them at all. I'm a newbie myself at jailbreaking, but once i did it(i did ask a ton of questions), i never looked back! The people in these forums are the best. Ask your questions, and you will get good and honest information. Don't be afraid to sound like a newbie, as they've heard it all before. Jailbreak, and enjoy the real world of an iPhone.:D

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
No, not you. One of the replies mentioned an App Store replica that's basically just a way to steal apps. It was nice, actually, to see you mention devs deserving to get paid.

Gotcha! I am completely new to this whole jail breaking thing and didn't think it was considered pirating (but I really wasn't sure).

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
When you plug your phone into your computer and iTunes is open, on the left-hand side, down about halfway, you will see your phone name (mine is Ken's iPhone) and just right click on your phone name and you will see see several options, one being back up.

Dude, I have never right clicked on my iPhone, iPods or iPad. Granted, I've only had the iPhone for a little over a week. Thanks!

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to keep spamming this thread! I've successfully jailbroken my iPhone (Woo Hoo!), but now my question is - how do I pay for apps?

Also, in MyProfiles, can I add an alert for calendar events? I might be a dummy, but I can't seem to find it!

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
In the middle of the screen for the description of the app, there will be a gold box with the purchase price in it. Once you select that, it will give you some options. I always check-out with Google, then Paypal.

mededitor

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to keep spamming this thread! I've successfully jailbroken my iPhone (Woo Hoo!), but now my question is - how do I pay for apps?

Also, in MyProfiles, can I add an alert for calendar events? I might be a dummy, but I can't seem to find it!

As Icyhot1966 said, you'll see a gold horizontal ribbon that you can click for making purchases (it says "Purchase Package"). The first time you make a purchase I seem to remember having to set-up an identity confirmation through Google or amazon.com (I think) and then making arrangements for payment, which I think can be done by PayPal or amazon.com (I may be confusing things with the payment arrangements I made for the Apple App Store).

There are many free apps and tweaks available on Cydia. As you look through what's available, anything that is listed in black is free and anything that is listed in blue is a paid app. Most are inexpensive, maybe $0.99 to $2.99, but well worth the price.

As for MyProfiles, yes, you can set it up for calendar alerts. It's a pretty flexible app. There are probably other profile/notifier apps available on Cydia, so look around the site. You can do a direct search if there's a specific app that you want, but when I first got started I went to Cydia's "Sections" and browsed around through Utilities, Tweaks, Themes, etc. It gave me a good idea about what was available.

One last suggestion, if I'm interested in an app and it doesn't specifically say that it's compatible with iOS4, I check the "Recent Changes" listed for the app. For instance, if there hasn't been anything updated since 2008, I assume that it won't be compatible with my iPhone.

Keep asking your questions---and there is no pirating involved with jailbreaking and getting whatever you want from Cydia. It's legitimate and it's wonderful.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh