No Home Button

wchsxc

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Most of us have read and at least know there is a possibility that upcoming iPhones WILL NOT have a home button.

How would this affect jail breaking? It would complicate the whole DFU mode process significantly. Could this be a possible attack by Apple on jail breakers? I'm sure there would be a software solution to forcing your phone into DFU mode, but simply removing the home button would cause a slight bit of confusion right?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
It may cause some confusion, but whether the button is physical or virtual, there will be a way to do it... there are other purposes for putting the device in DFU mode, so there will have to be a way do to that...

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
It will be quite awhile before the home button disappears if it ever does. You have to keep in mind the reason Apple likes to keep the phone and OS simple. They don't offer tons of customization for us tech geeks because we are not their main market it's the grandpas, grandmas, pre teens, dumb phone users, and people who just want to use a phone that works and they outnumber us substantially. So to remove the home button would change the way alot of those existing users have gotten to know using the phone. It will intimidate any new customers who again aren't tech savvy. Even if or when they do remove the hardware home button JB hackers aren't behind the times they will make a new method or program that either puts the phone into DFU mode for you or will still guide you along.

WK446

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I cannot see the Home button leaving. It's actually a way to distinguish the iPhone from other competition.

There was a patent by Apple that came to light recently about the ability for them to embed "soft" buttons along the bezel. This is also a possibility if the Home button is removed.

Apple is a design company. it's not simply that the phone has to look sleek, but has to be supremely functional as well. Whatever they decide, I'm sure their philosophy will remain intact. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2