Jailbreak causing crashes?

doxiedad#IM

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I've got a VZW iPhone 4. This is my first iPhone. When I got it home on 2/10 I jailbreaked it with greenpoison. Lately I'm having trouble with stuff crashing. It seems to be mostly when changing from portrait to landscape modes in the app.

It has affected safari, Facebook, the text app as well as Bitesms. Safari also always crashes the first time I tap On the quick search bar at the top.

Don't know if jb is causing this or not. Thanks

thunderkeys

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Is the app crashing or is Springboard crashing (safe mode)?

I have a VZW iPhone 4 and have not had any issues with apps crashing. It could be related to the JB apps/tweaks you have installed. You could also try using an alternative JB method (Pwnagetool on Windows, Sn0wbreeze on Windows) but that would require a fresh restore.

doxiedad#IM

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't know. It just goes back to the springboard and I have to relaunch whatver it was. Don't know if it's spingboard crashing or apps crashing.

Would a list of JB stuff I have help?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Yeah if it goes back to the homescreen your apps are crashing. Do you have any sort of rotator app installed. You could re-JB with the latest GP which will fix the iBooks issue too but also might solve your problem. The GP JB also wont reload your firmware. If you still have the problem then I would say backup and sync your phone and either restore in iTunes, JB and restore from your backup or shift or option restore to an ipsw made with pwnage tool(Mac) or sn0wbreeze also JB although I've never used that one.

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Yeah if it goes back to the homescreen your apps are crashing. Do you have any sort of rotator app installed. You could re-JB with the latest GP which will fix the iBooks issue too but also might solve your problem. The GP JB also wont reload your firmware. If you still have the problem then I would say backup and sync your phone and either restore in iTunes, JB and restore from your backup or shift or option restore to an ipsw made with pwnage tool(Mac) or sn0wbreeze also JB although I've never used that one.

As a note, on GP and pwnage tool have the iBooks fix. Sn0wbreeze does not. However, I heard the fix is also available in Cydia.

doxiedad#IM

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Ok so to un jailbreak I would do a backup in iTunes, then do a restore, but would it be restore as new or restore from a previous backup?

If restore as new, it wipes everything off my phone right? Then I have to do another restore to get the stuff back on it? If restoring as new do I use the same iTunes profile I have been using to sync?

Guess I need to write down Cydia apps I'm using I like.

Thanks for the help.

anaphora68

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
They're just different methods for jailbreaking. For some reason, my phone prefers greenpois0n. I tried Pwnage Tool, and I kept having some weird glitches.

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Sn0wbreeze has the iBooks fix as of last night.

Oh really? I didn't notice that. Thanks for correcting me.

What's the difference between greenpois0n and sn0wbreeze?

I don't use iBooks anyways

Greenpois0n allows you to jailbreak without restoring. It leaves everything intact, including your settings, apps, photos, etc.

Pwnage Tool (Mac) and sn0wbreeze (PC) let your create a custom ipsw (firmware file for iOS devices) that is "pre-jailbroken." Here you are using iTunes to restore your phone to the custom firmware, and when it is finished, it'll be jailbroken. Of course this will delete all your data, but you could always back up your phone, and then restore after you're done.

They're just different methods for jailbreaking. For some reason, my phone prefers greenpois0n. I tried Pwnage Tool, and I kept having some weird glitches.

Like weird error messages? Recently, I always had to use redsn0w to put it into pwned DFU mode, or else it'd fail.

doxiedad#IM

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
ok so this morning i unjailbroke my phone and haven't had the problems. so maybe JB it with latest rc6 instead of rc5 of Greenpois0n will fix it. I miss biteSMS :(

doxiedad#IM

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Still not JB. No crashes and battery life seems better. Need to figure out what was causing the problem. Might try not installing winterboard since I didn't find a theme i liked anyways.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73