iOS 5.0 features

Steve Doherty

May 8, 2010
Visit site
- I'd like to see the ability to create, rename, and delete multiple photo albums on the phone (not just via iTunes photo sync), combined with the ability to copy and move pictures between albums.

- Better use of lockscreen/notifications.

Does anyone have any other ideas for iOS 5.0 features?

Steve

bennett22

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
+1 on the change to the photo albums on the phone.i also use a blackberry and its nice that i can create different albums for different pics so that i can jump right to specific pics.other than that i don't see any other changes that would make any difference,although i have only had my iphone4 for about a month.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Just cuz i own an EVO does not mean I would never own an iPhone

I think notifications should be on the top list Lock screen sounds nice, but it needs to be accessable from from anywhere on the phone. Thew drop down seems right, but in Apples case. I could see then adding it to the multitasking bar.

Double tap the home button, swipe to the left. The icon on the far left will become the notification center. Tap it and a slide out designed much like folders will appear with a list of everything including the classic badges over the icons. - Basically lets say you have some mail. It will say

Gmail - (3)

of course the 3 will be the number of mail messages you have and perhaps the "gmail" will be the mail icon with the google "G" over it.

Other then that, perhaps make it work with out the need to sync it to itunes. Not just iPad, but iPhone and iPod touch requre you to sync it to itunes before you can use it. This is not good for those just starting out or those who just want to get their device up and running

File storage?

Widgets are a big thing. Perhaps have widgets that can be tired with existing apps (twitter or facebook widget. Post status updates from the home screen) download more in the app store.

It seems Apple is going towards a more darker GUI, so I think some tweaks to the UI on iOS could be in order. Nothing major, just some gradients and color changes

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
*App that uses the NFC Chip(hopefully in iPhone 5) for mobile payments.

*Unobtrusive Notifications. I hate how that dialog box blocks my screen a la Windows 95 when I?m going something important, i.e. gaming.

*Files. From Rene Richie of TiPb.com, ?It would be an icon on your homescreen like the photo gallery in which you could see all your music, documents, pictures and photos and be able to share them and view them with any app?

*More customization. Take the jailbreak themes and take away the jailbreaking. It would be great if I could have some themes to customize the look of my iPhone. The ?wallpaper? isn?t cutting it.

*iTunes.com. Please make iTunes Stream. I buy the song(s) I want, and can stream them to devices I choose, unlimited amounts of times.

*iChat App. I want it to fuction the same way it does on my mac. I <3 iChat and it would make FaceTime more useful, which brings me to my next point.

*FaceTime. If it?s an ?open? standard, can you please allow androids, blackberries, and windows 7 phone to use it? Not everyone owns an iPhone, Apple.

*Ability to delete unwanted Apple Apps. Think stocks, weather, voice memos.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
@MsEYE
Apple is waiting until FaceTime is on the iPad before they make it open. It would be embarrassing for an android tablet to have FaceTime while the iPad still does not.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Notification system completely redone. And from what I've heard it will be happening for sure. To me that is the biggest drawback to the OS.

crystus

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
*App that uses the NFC Chip(hopefully in iPhone 5) for mobile payments.

*Unobtrusive Notifications. I hate how that dialog box blocks my screen a la Windows 95 when I?m going something important, i.e. gaming.

*Files. From Rene Richie of TiPb.com, ?It would be an icon on your homescreen like the photo gallery in which you could see all your music, documents, pictures and photos and be able to share them and view them with any app?

*More customization. Take the jailbreak themes and take away the jailbreaking. It would be great if I could have some themes to customize the look of my iPhone. The ?wallpaper? isn?t cutting it.

*iTunes.com. Please make iTunes Stream. I buy the song(s) I want, and can stream them to devices I choose, unlimited amounts of times.

*iChat App. I want it to fuction the same way it does on my mac. I <3 iChat and it would make FaceTime more useful, which brings me to my next point.

*FaceTime. If it?s an ?open? standard, can you please allow androids, blackberries, and windows 7 phone to use it? Not everyone owns an iPhone, Apple.

*Ability to delete unwanted Apple Apps. Think stocks, weather, voice memos.

I wouldn't trust Apple's Version of customization. It would most likely consist of 4 themes that they approve. I will keep my jailbreak rather than their Orwellian style of openness.

I think notifications and maybe a native SB Settings would be nice too. One place for all my toggles.

joelion

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I think Apple will roll out its own mapping service, which will replace Google Maps wherever it's used on the phone, including the Maps and Photo apps, and maybe add new apps and features to existing apps since they will own the maps 100% (maybe a built-in turn-by-turn GPS app?). It should also include map downloads, or at least decent map caching on the phone, instead of relying on the network.

I think this is almost a sure thing, given Apple's acquisitions of Placebase and Poly9 in 2009, and the continuing strained relationship with Google. Maps are probably the biggest remaining area where Apple is completely dependent on Google, and I'm sure they'd like to remedy that.

Argelius1

Feb 5, 2009
Visit site
In addition to what's been previously mentioned, I'd like to see:

[1] easier access to turning services (WiFi, Bluetooth, airplane, etc) on and off, like SBSettings does for jailbreakers.

[2] Ability to trigger the camera shutter with a hard button (such as the volume keys); hunting for the virtual button is a pain.

[3] SMS templates

[4] Better predictive text engine (with popup word choices)

[5] A visual indicator (flashing LED) for voicemail, texts, etc.

[6] Increase maximum apps that folders can contain.

mjh937

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I would like to see and easy way to turn Bluetooth, WiFi and airplane mode on and off. It is a pain having to dig down through multiple levels to turn on Bluetooth while I am driving.

Active widgets would be nice too. It is not always sunny and 73 degrees.

turin

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
- a new way for manage multitasking (like some apps do with jailbreak)
- replace the search (accessible via one tap in home button) with a dashboard screen, like MacOS X, and the search function must be a dashboard utility
- photos, sounds, notes and contacts shareable via bluetooth w/others vendos
- and (like Argelius said), an easy way for turning on/off services -> essential !!!
- ahhh !, wifi sync w/iTunes !

hamonclan

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
A few things I would like

1. I would like to be able to add my own items to predictive, and change the things that the iPhone picks
2. I would like to be able to add or delete the auto drop downs when you are typing in an address for an email or SMS
3. The mail app to be more compatible with Outlook. Or at least be able to Flag things for follow up. Maybe what I really want is for Outlook to make an App and have Apple approve it.
4. I would like to be able to read an email, and then transfer it to a Task or to the calender as a to do.

These are just a few things that came to me right off the top of my head.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
on my Android I can tap and hold and I get more options. I can be in the photo app and share the photo with not just e-mail, but any app that supports photo sharing on my phone including apps like drop box

iPhone4iPad

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Woah!!!
Great ideas here but do u guys ever think these will come true yeah the basic ones might... But it's not like Apple will read this thread I mean come on... But still awesome ideas wish they come true...

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't trust Apple's Version of customization. It would most likely consist of 4 themes that they approve. I will keep my jailbreak rather than their Orwellian style of openness.

I think notifications and maybe a native SB Settings would be nice too. One place for all my toggles.

I'm not saying I want them to block jailbreaking (they do that on their own..). I'm just saying it would be nice to have that level, or some sort of level of customization without the need to jailbreak.

ek9max

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
If apple wants something that would really take some marketshare would be to make a Bbm type program that is built into the phone. Like can't be removed. Force it on iPhone users like blackberry did.

I was a hardcore blackberry user for years. Bbm was the only thing that kept me with them for so long. "you have a berry? What's your pin?"