Help Please - need some assistance

Leevis1

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Hi
I have a 3GS and i jailbroke it years ago and it is currently on 3.1.2 but i have an app that tells it is one 3.1.3 because another app i wanted would not work without it being 3.1.3.

Anyway, i would like to upgrade this to the latest 'safe' version 4.x or whatever it is but need some help understanding exactly what to do.

The reason why i am wary is because i have downloaded a couple of apps from cydia - will these be lost in the upgrade?

Currently i am on 3.1.3 (7E18) and when i go into cydia i can see that i have
SHSH iOS 3.1, 3.1.2, 3.1.3, 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.1

Can anyone let me know exactly what steps to follow and what i need to back up before i do it?

Thanks

Lee

jdavis530

May 18, 2010
Visit site
If you upgrade it will restore your phone back to factory along with upgrading your OS, so yes all your cydia apps will be wiped out. You can re-jailbreak and get the apps back, but that is the only way. If you have paid cydia apps, you will be able to redownlaod them without repaying for them.

jdavis530

May 18, 2010
Visit site
If you have the blobs for 4.1 I would install that rather than 4.2.1. That way you can use greenpois0n or limera1n to jailbreak untethered. Unless of course you dont mind a tethered jailbreak, in which case you should just upgrade to 4.2.1.

Leevis1

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for that, sorry to be a pain but i now have the iPhone 4.1 restore file and also Redsnow 0.9.6b6

What i need to do i get the iphone to use the 4.1 file but i am trying to work out how to do this

Please help, i really appreciate the help :)

Lee

Leevis1

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
when i click on shift/update in itunes i can browse for a folder/file but when i unzip the 4.1 files there is nothing that i can use, the biggest file is a .dmg but i was under the impression that it is an .ispw file i am looking for (help)

Leevis1

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
not sure but i think that the file i am trying to download is called iPhone2,1_4.1_8B117_Restore.zip

Should the .zip just be replaced with .ipsw?

Leevis1

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
hmm had to abort this, i think i am right in the above in that i should change the zip to ipsw but it seemed to go through the motions but then it came up with an error messge (3194 maybe) closed it too quickly

Need some major help now getting this one sorted as i now have no idea :)

Leevis1

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Bumping up my own post here because i badly need help

What i did was do a shift/restore and pointed it to a file i have on my desktop called iPhone2,1_4.1_8B117_Restore.ipsw but when i did it i got an error message

Am i doing this correctly?

Theres loads on information on Jailbreaking but not a lot on updating firmware on already jailbroken when the firmware isnt current.

I believe that 4.1 is what i want

Help please

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
hmm had to abort this, i think i am right in the above in that i should change the zip to ipsw but it seemed to go through the motions but then it came up with an error messge (3194 maybe) closed it too quickly

Need some major help now getting this one sorted as i now have no idea :)

Where'd you get the zip file from?

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
As of today, the 4.2.1 jailbreak is untethered, so you can just update to the latest OS and use greenpoison to jailbreak.