Jailbreak confusion 3.2.3(7E18), 05.12.01

mmjax

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Jailbreak confusion 3.1.3(7E18), 05.12.01

Hi all.

I'm sorry if this is a very newbie-ish question, but I have to say I am completely overwhelmed with the amount of information on jailbreaking that is available out there. I am having a hard time sorting through what applies to me, and what doesn't.

My 3GS is running 3.1.3(7E18), firmware 05.12.01. It has never been jailbroken, and I bought it the first week that the 3GS's came out.

I do not have access to a Mac, so my solution has to be windows-based.

My goal is to have my phone running some version of 4.x, and be jailbroken and unlocked. I would like to be able to power-cycle the phone and not have to re-jailbreak (I think that's non-tethered, right?). I'm on AT&T but at some point soon I will sell the phone so I want it to be unlocked to broaden the potential market.

Can one of you experts help me out and tell me what steps I need to take to go from my version to a jailbroken 4.x version? What software do I need, and do I need to upgrade to 4.x first, or jailbreak then upgrade?

Thanks in advance for anyones help.

-M-

Last edited:

iRandom

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Until an untethereed solution comes out, here's what I've got:

• Download the iOS 4.1 IPSW for your iPhone 3Gs
  • In iTunes, Shift + Click "Upgrade"
  • Browse for the 4.1 IPSW and click "Open"
  • Wait for the upgrade process to finish
  • Use Greenpois0n to jailbreak your device (this is untethered)
  • Go to Cydia and search for Ultrasn0w to unlock
  • Viola!

STAY AWAY FROM 4.2.1

mmjax

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Over the weekend I tried to follow your suggestions.

I downloaded IPSW 4.1, then shift+Click Update and browsed to the file. It sat on "Verifying update with Apple" (or something like that), then eventually came back and gave me an error message 3194. I tried 3 or 4 times with the same result.

Any idea what I am doing wrong here?

Also do I need to save "blobs" or anything else before doing the upgrade?

Thanks in advance...

- M -

jackie treehorn

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Yes you needed blobs for 4.1(which I'm almost certain that Apple is no longer signing) to be able to update to that since 4.2.1 is the most current. Without those I believe you are stuck with 3.1.3 or update to the newest 4.2.1

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2