Unlock Verizon iPhone to run on Sprint?

robnaj

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I not sure 100% but I am quite curtain that the law states that if you are switching from Verizon Wireless to Sprint you can bring your phone with you to Sprint.
However it is highly uncommon for Sprint to do it for you.
If you are disparate for a "Sprint iPhone" I recommend be-friending and Sprint employee who can activate the phone.

Jon Seals

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Sprint doesn't allow phones with an ESN that isn't in their database to be activated on their network, some employees might do it for you, but they usually find out and shut you down, although we all know MetroPCS will be unlocking to their network just as they do now with pretty much any CDMA phone.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
You'll have better luck with little local carriers. Sprint and Verizon do not and will not typically activate any device that is not supported on their network.

Now if you have a Sprint curve and Verizon carried the same exact one, maybe a nice employee would bring that over and it wouldn't get flagged eventually, since they carry that device. But devices that are not supported probably will always be a no go.

OKCChuck

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
smaller CDMA networks will not either. Because when you go to activate a phone, you need the "itemID." You don't have an ItemID with the iPhone on the Sprint or other networks, such as US Cellular. Whether or not the ESN will work you need the ID. It's not in their database, it will not work.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
As iMuggles stated, I dont see Sprint activating this on their network. If users want iPhones, then stop being cheap and go to a real network. You get what you pay for.

Also, why is this thread stickied? Nobody cares by the amount of posts to this thread

Writermind

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I initially was told and believed the Verizon to Sprint transition would be a fairly easy one to make. Now I've all but given up hope.

Now I' just about ready to switch my services and pay an ETF of $500 to go where the phone is instead of waiting for it to come to me.

lylemsharp

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Best data network, unbeatable phones...

Look, Iphone vs. Android is almost exactly like Mac vs. PC, only without crappy Microsoft software. Android gets the job done no matter what the job is. You get to wait for features and software with the Iphone. The first 4G network still has the fastest data speeds with the broadest coverage areas. Here in the DFW metroplex, the data link speeds in order of best to worst are Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon, and ATT. ATT gets a slight nod on coverage in this region, but only through ancient analog equipment.

It took four years for Sprint's WiMax build out to reach this area. The other carriers just announced their 4G plans with prototype networks as the only current coverage areas. If you want a hot data phone in the DFW, Sprint really is the only choice and any Android is better than an Iphone in terms of performing a specific task. Forget moving your CDMA Iphone 4 to Sprint, just get an EVO.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
You'll have better luck with little local carriers. Sprint and Verizon do not and will not typically activate any device that is not supported on their network.

Now if you have a Sprint curve and Verizon carried the same exact one, maybe a nice employee would bring that over and it wouldn't get flagged eventually, since they carry that device. But devices that are not supported probably will always be a no go.

No, they don't like to activate devices that have the other branding on it. They could easily add an ESN or MEID to their database if they wanted to. The iPhone isn't branded and if it means them keeping customers, I bet they change that "policy".

C4D_m0nk3y

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
and knowing Apple they will, and the jailbreak kids will find a way to hack that.

Pretty soon Apple will add almost everything you use to jail break and there won't be a reason to jailbreak.

Apple does eventually add features that the JB community implemented first. It's just that Apple takes a long time to do it. If they can get LockInfo and SBSettings equivalents working like they can, I won't need a reason to jailbreak anymore. >=)

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
That is true. But the fact is that they do take a while and that can drive people to other platforms and the reason why android is doing so well. The only ones who don't care are loyal Apple fans and those who are not loyal but like the iPhone.

phineaspoe#IM

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Why would I pick Sprint over AT&T? WiMAX, cost, coverage, selection, etc.

I love my EVO. And it may not have a shiny Apple logo, but it does have a shiny HTC logo.

I have an Evo on Sprint and, while I love Sprint and don't want to change carriers, if someone told me how to get an iPhone 4 on Sprint I would go pay full price for it and throw my Evo in the dumpster today.

ericUT

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
The more I read, the more i think this is possible. First, you would need to obtain the MSL for the Verizon device to obtain access to the data programming menu. Then you would need the same kind of access on a Sprint device. Essentially you could copy your Sprint Vision username and password from the SPrint device and enter it into the Verizon iPhone. Of course this is a simplified explanation and doesn't cover a lot of possibilities. For instance, it might be possible that once you do that, Sprint's servers will reject your device because the MSID attached to the VZW device does not match what's attached to your username. This would mean you'd also have to devise a way to change the MSID of the ViPhone. Another possibility is that you may be able to get calls and even data working but things like MMS and SMS wouldn't work because you'd need to know the message routing settings. I know they've figured this out on WinMo and Android devices but it's going to take someone dedicated enough to investigate this to see if it will work.

remmy123

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Im surprised no one has mentioned this but, I read up with all the people on the Sprint network converting Verizons Palm Pre + to work on the Sprint network. A.K.A. "FrankenPre".

How did they do it?

You had to do some hardware swapping. Take the radio from a Palm Pre - and stick it in the Palm Pre plus.

Can you somehow hack the iPhone to convert it? Good question. Im not entirely sure. I do believe that the radios on Verizon and Sprints phones work on specific frequencies that radios are physically built (baked in) to send/receive... or I could have this software concept horribly distorted.

remmy123

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
On another thought if it is in fact possible to do this, Im sure the underground is very hard at work. I predict if you dont see a hack within a month from now you probably wont see it at all and or its impossible.

00jones

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
There is no such thing as unlocking a cdma phone. (unless it's a dual band gsm/cdma device) Technically, they are not locked to a carrier, but the carrier must activate that device ESN on their network. Sprint will not activate a Verizon device on their network, and vice-versa. End of story.

Ok first off you're wrong. There is such a thing as unlocking a cdma device for another carrier. And no I'm not talking about "flashing" a phone which is technically not "flashing". I have unlocked a plam pre when it frist came out for Sprint and put it on Verizon. Now you do lose some of the carriers features such as vcast, however, you can reroute the applications desired to access the carriers features through a back door. For example the "Sprint Navigation" would then be considered "VZ Navigator".

I do agree that Verizon does need to allow the device on their network and from my experience, I have NEVER been turned down from activating a device from any other carrier. I have put blackberry storms on Sprint and the Palm Pre and Instinct on Verizon. So yes it can be done.

danielgarrison

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Granted this is the 'other way around'...
But I used to purchase Sprint Treo's from eBay, flash them to use the Verizon Firmware and sell them on eBay for a profit. Verizon Treo's were traditionally more expensive than the Sprint-labeled Treo's and never had a problem with customer's activating the ex-Sprint Treo on Verizon.

I didn't have to change the ESN. I believe you may be able to do this with enough persistance... how about somebody try?

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73