Jailbreaking process getting stuck.

frogstofall

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
I've got an iPhone 4 with 4.2.1 and I can get all the way to the step where you need to install Cydia. I put the phone in DFU mode and then the redsn0w program gets stuck at the, "Exploiting Limra1n" step. I've tried it about half a dozen times and it keeps getting stuck there. The blue status bar goes to 100% but the "Finish" button never highlights (so I can't click it to continue).

Has anyone encountered this? If so, what did you do? Any ideas from the seasoned JB'ers?

myzhi

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Try the usual stuff, another USB cable, USB port, disable security programs, run Redsnow in compatibility mode (windows), and if all else fails, try a different computer.

Reactions: frogstofall

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i had this very same thing happen to me. turns out i was not putting the device into DFU mode correctly. if you are seeing the Apple logo at all during this time then it's not done properly

instead of waiting for the next step 3...2...1... and then release the power button you have to almost anticipate it. keep trying you're almost there

edit: also, you do not have to wait for the device to turn off again when trying. just repeat everything as if it is turned off

hope this helps

Last edited:
Reactions: frogstofall

PinkBanana

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
I've got an iPhone 4 with 4.2.1 and I can get all the way to the step where you need to install Cydia. I put the phone in DFU mode and then the redsn0w program gets stuck at the, "Exploiting Limra1n" step. I've tried it about half a dozen times and it keeps getting stuck there. The blue status bar goes to 100% but the "Finish" button never highlights (so I can't click it to continue).

Has anyone encountered this? If so, what did you do? Any ideas from the seasoned JB'ers?

As far as I'm aware, limera1n does not work on 4.2.1. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Bull

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
I had the same similar action last night when Jailbreaking my iPhone 4 and found out it was a cable issue.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I appreciate the tips. I'll have to try this again after work.

You should like everyone said make sure you're using the Apple cable, I tried to JB my older 3G once over and over on a Griffin USB cable and it wouldn't I was mystified. My friend said use my Apple cable and I though no way but bam it was done first shot. When you get it into DFU mode like iBlink said the screen should be black so if it's not then you might be in recovery mode. I usually follow along with what they say but I keep holding the home button on the last step until I see the process has begun. You don't have to worry about the timing of the last step because holding the home button when the device is in DFU mode wont do anything however I don't know if releasing it too soon could be another story. GL and let us know what happens. Your JB will be tethered so you will want to make sure you get this DFU mode down cause any other time you reboot the phone you're going to need to do it again.

PS
PM Georgia she also couldn't get it after 8 or 9 tries :p just kidding wit ya

frogstofall

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Well, I busted out my Apple usb cable (was using a Griffin one) and it got further this time but RIGHT as the phone's screen said, "Dowloading Jailbreak", the freakin' Redsn0w program crashed!! Uhhhggg... Imma try this ONE more time...

Any other advice? I wish this was as easy as the last time I did this. Went to a website link and BAM! Jailbroken! I miss that. Why the heck can't this be just as easy?!?!

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
try another computer if possible. it might sound crazy but i was stuck in a reboot loop over the weekend and could not get out of it

tried another computer and fixed it on the first attempt

just an idea

frogstofall

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
It seems like my troubles will never end with this Jailbreak. Haha. ;)

How do I get all my contacts, apps and all that back post jailbreak? I did some reading and it sounds like its supposed to do it automatically? Mine didn't....

iRandom

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
This worked for me (using Windows 7):

1. Right click on the Redsn0w app from Windows Explorer.
  2. Click on the Compatibility tab
  3. Change it to Windows XP SP3.
  4. Click Run as Administrator.
  5. Click Okay.

Then try to rejailbreak.