Whatever Happened to the Lifetime Jailbreak SHATter?

Ricktye

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
Way back when iOS 4 first came out, there was a great deal of talk about an jailbreak exploit known as SHATter that Apple could never "fix" with software updates. There was going to be an immenent release and then ............????? If Apple can/could never patch the exploit, what happened to it?? If as they said it was unpatchable, there is/was no need to wait for the next iOS before release???? Not trying to be a smart a** or anything, but it sure went away in a hurry??? Anyone have any real insight into what happened? I can't paste links, but a Google search of ultrasn0w and shatter will find it for you

R...

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Way back when iOS 4 first came out, there was a great deal of talk about an jailbreak exploit known as SHATter that Apple could never "fix" with software updates. There was going to be an immenent release and then ............????? If Apple can/could never patch the exploit, what happened to it?? If as they said it was unpatchable, there is/was no need to wait for the next iOS before release???? Not trying to be a smart a** or anything, but it sure went away in a hurry??? Anyone have any real insight into what happened? I can't paste links, but a Google search of ultrasn0w and shatter will find it for you

R...

Since GeoHot came out with Limera1n before SHATter was released, they didn't want to "release" two exploits to do the same thing. It's not that SHATter couldn't be patched, it just required new hardware to do so. If they hold off SHATter till the next hardware iteration, that gives 1 more generation of devices a lifetime jailbreak.

myzhi

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
What exactly is a lifetime jailbreak? Doesn't seem to be relevant with 4.2.1

The limera1n exploit is Jailbreakable for life, 4.2.1 included, because it's hardware base. Apple can't fix it on devices already release. They can only correct it on future hardware revision. The issue is whether the JB will be untethered or tethered. Shatter is the same thing in that it's also a hardware exploit which also allows the affected device to be JB for life. It would have been stupid to release both exploit and allow Apple to fix them in their next hardware revision. It's pointless now since I believe the Shatter exploit was release for brief period. Apple probably knows about it now.

Last edited:

Ricktye

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
Are you indicating that Limera1n will jailbreak iOS 4.2.1? I didn't think this system was jailbreakable yet other than on a MAC and then only in BETA stages?
R...

The limera1n exploit is Jailbreakable for life, 4.2.1 included, because it's hardware base. Apple can't fix it on devices already release. They can only correct it on future hardware revision. The issue is whether the JB will be untethered or tethered. Shatter is the same thing in that it's also a hardware exploit which also allows the affected device to be JB for life. It would have been stupid to release both exploit and allow Apple to fix them in their next hardware revision. It's pointless now since I believe the Shatter exploit was release for brief period. Apple probably knows about it now.

myzhi

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Are you indicating that Limera1n will jailbreak iOS 4.2.1? I didn't think this system was jailbreakable yet other than on a MAC and then only in BETA stages?
R...

The exploit use in Limera1n can JB 4.2.1. It just Geohot hasn't updated the program to do so. While, using the same exploit, Dev Team has updated Redsnow. As I already stated, the exploit can at least tethered JB any device for life. So, once Apple releases 4.3, using the same hardware exploit, it would be JB right away. The issue is being able to find / apply another hack to enable the JB to be untethered.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner