4.2.1 untethered is almost here...

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Hmmm. Just realized that Apple can do more harm to the jailbreaking community by facilitating the drama than by hardware/software fixes. Maybe Steve Jobs leaked SHAtter to piss off comex/musclenerd/devteam/etc.

Bc Jobs had access to the SHAtter code? =P

maxburn

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Found in another forum but it looks like we are even closer now.

Dev-Team Blog - redsn0w tester invitation

redsn0w tester invitation*
Over the Christmas weekend we?ll be releasing a version of redsn0w that implements the ?backup plan? to the 4.2.1 untethered jailbreak. *We?re seeking your help to test this redsn0w and find any bugs before we do a general release!

(If you have an iPhone 3G, or an old-bootrom ipt2g or iPhone 3GS, you already have an untethered jailbreak! *Just use the latest public redsn0w.)

To keep things manageable, this will be a Mac-only test program. *We also request that any volunteers *NOT* need the ultrasn0w unlock (in case things go very wrong).

Right now, the ?backup plan? requires that you have the 4.2b3 IPSW on your Mac, and that Cydia has your 4.2b3 SHSH hashes. *Please don?t pirate that 4.2b3 IPSW! *(We?re also working on a way that this technique might apply to all those with 4.1 IPSWs, but that?s not the first goal right now.)

If you fit all the above qualifications, please follow @redsn0w_testers on twitter for announcements, and use the comments section here for feedback. *Thanks very much for your help, and Happy Holidays!

As a side note you cant legally have that ipsw unless you are an apple dev. It is apple owned code and doesn't fall in the legal to jailbreak category.

maxburn

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
They made the beta public but this is still looking very hairy, I certainly am not going to touch it. Even if it all goes well I am not sure I want the b3 kernel but time will tell on that one I guess. Keep in mind this is just the backup plan and comex is still working.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I got excited there for a minute, but it is definitely more trouble than it might be worth. I'll stay j/b on 4.1 until there's a reasonable j/b for 4.2 available.

DJ Hellfire

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Man I cannot wait for the new jailbreak! >_<

Same here! There are some OS4 things for iPad I was use, but don't wanna lose my tethered JB. So I'm staying at 3.2.2 for now and 4.1 on my iPhone!

Do you guys know if there will be a way to jailbreak a 4 that came shipped with 4.2?

Artstar

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Pay attention. MaxBurn just mentioned, in only two posts before yours, of the untethered beta which redsn0w are currently performing a public trial with.

My advice for now will be to sit tight though. I have tested beta1 (won't bother with beta2) and there are some quirks with my iPad. Namely, double-clicking the home button results in a respring rather than task manager (no big deal there) and the worst one is plugging the USB lead into any computer results in the iPad constantly rebooting itself until the USB lead is unplugged.

Once that's sorted, I'll resume the beta testing.

Last edited:

Bionicspyder

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
That's good to know.

Is it just me or is this "Fartstar" kind of an A$$? Been a member less than a month and already has insulted, berated, or offended other members for innocent postings. This is the reason I hate posting anything because there may always be someone like this waiting to show how much of a pretentious prick he really is.

Last edited:

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
^ eh, he/she feels that it is important enough to come online and attempt to bully people so he/she can feel better about himself/herself..

bionicspyder, please do not let people like this discourage you from posting here, just ignore it, i try..

Reactions: Bionicspyder

Airwolf

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Is it just me or is this "Fartstar" kind of an A$$? Been a member less than a month and already has insulted, berated, or offended other members for innocent postings. This is the reason I hate posting anything because there may always be someone like this waiting to show how much of a pretentious prick he really is.

You will never escape douchebags like him. Post what you want and don't worry about trolls like him.

Artstar

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
This is the reason I hate posting anything because there may always be someone like this waiting to show how much of a pretentious prick he really is.

Clearly because the countless messages of "Oh gee, I can't wait for it!" have been a great contribution to the thread, eh? Very well then, I'll leave them be for your entertainment.

Yours rectally,
(F)Artstar

DrJB

Oct 8, 2009
Visit site
for someone who is starting out new with an iphone 4 with FW 4.2.1 and baseband 3.10.01 will this untether work for both unlock and jailbreak? I have heard if I don't have something saved with tiny umbrella then my baseband will increase and my phone will stay locked? I am kind of a newbie, so what I am wondering is when this comes out how can I prevent that? and how does someone starting off with a fresh phone do it (both unlock & JB?) I forgot to mention if it matters I want to unlock it with T-mobile

Artstar

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
for someone who is starting out new with an iphone 4 with FW 4.2.1 and baseband 3.10.01 will this untether work for both unlock and jailbreak?

At this point, the redsn0w developers are only working on the jailbreak side of it. Therefore, the unlocking is done by ultrasn0w but is currently advised against for the purposes of testing the redsn0w beta.

So, the short answer is, since you're starting out new, unless you're prepared to fartarse around with betas that are still in the progress of testing, hang back a little and wait for the final release to come about so that you can be sure you're dealing with a thoroughly tested product as opposed to being a lab rat.

If anything, you could use the existing release of redsn0w for a tethered jailbreak if you really want to jailbreak it now. Your one main difficulty may be registering a 4.2b3 SHSH blob (either by extract it with TinyUmbrella or letting Cydia do it for you). From what I understand from others' comments, you could be out of luck there. This is apparently critical to the current beta testing and may well be the case for the final release too.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods