New iPhone 4; Jailbreak Options

bibeaud

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I just upgraded the 3GS to 4 yesterday via the Radioshack $50 off sale.

iPhone 4 is on ver 4.1. I saved SSHs using Tinyumbrella for 4.2b3 and 4.2.1. I am too late for ver 4.1.

Currently I believe I can use Greenpoison or Limera1n to jailbreak 4.1 if I do not upgrade to 4.2.1. However, because I do not have 4.1 SSHs saved on Cydia or my computer with Tinyumbrella, I can not jailbreak 4.2.1 when the untethered jailbreak comes out.
I really do not want to have a tethered jailbreak so at this time, I do not want to use Redsn0w.
My 3GS used to be unlocked before the baseband upgraded when I upgraded the firmware to 4.2.1; therefore I want to be careful before I do more upgrades.
I believe my best option is to sit on 4.1 and wait (pray) for an untethered jailbreak for iPhone 4 that does not need 4.1 SSHs.

Farbod or others....is this the best option?
If anyone knows how to extract 4.1 SSHs please let me know. Thanks to all!

David

myzhi

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Yes. Stay at 4.1. You many options, Pwanetool, Redsnow, Limerain or Greenpoison, to untethered JB it. If you update to 4.2.1, it currently is a tethered JB. As for saving SHSH, they are unique to each device and firmware. Without Apple's key, would be pretty much impossible to extract.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I think staying at 4.1 is the right way to go. You get almost all the benefits (for now) and what you are missing is hardly worth the tethered JB. Wait to see how things shake out.

(edit: I'm still at 4.0.1, and haven't felt like I'm missing anything great yet...)

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
i am sticking with my untethered jailbreak on 4.1 right now on my iPhone 4. i have not yet jailbroke my 4.2 iPad, and will probably wait until there is an untethered one for both devices.

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I'm on 4.2.1 tethered but I have a little more experience with iPhone and jailbreak and using SSH and other tools so the tethered aspect isn't a big deal. I've had it for almost a week now and havent had a single issue.

Capnjackk

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
There is really no reason to update to 4.2.1 anyways; unless you're on an iPad obviously. Stay at 4.1 & and enjoy your untethered jailbreak.