JB Question for 4.2.1

petsnspace

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Hi All,

I have been lurking on the JB boards for awhile and am considering JB but have a question I have been having difficulty finding a simple answer. I have 4.2.1 on my iPhone 3Gs and am considering JB for the first time. The only thing I really want to do is use MyWi or similar program to use my phone as a hotspot. I think I understand the terms and am not interested in unlocking my phone for another carrier. I have explored the dev team site and am not sure what to make of tethering vs. untethering. Can someone answer for me the simple way (if there is one), to accomplish what I am trying to do. My stats:

iPhone 3Gs
windows Vista
iOS 4.2.1

Thanks in advance

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
tethering is when the phone has to be connected to the computer when it's rebooted or the battery dies. You will need to redo your Jailbreak each time.

untethered is when the phone is jailbroken and you reboot or if the battery dies you simply charge it up or power on just like any other phone.

If you're on the 3Gs I believe you can JB without being tethered on 4.2.1 depending on your bootloader version, old vs new. The easiest way is using pwnage tool(Mac) or in your case Redsn0w(Windows) you can find instructions here If you want to know which bootloader you have there are different ways to do it, do a search there have been a few posts with the info.

Reactions: petsnspace

petsnspace

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Thank you for the quick reply. It appears I have the new bootloader so would be tethered. Is there a solution around a tethered JB? do you know of one coming soon?

mojonation1487

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for the quick reply. It appears I have the new bootloader so would be tethered. Is there a solution around a tethered JB? do you know of one coming soon?

there is something in the works if you saved you're 4.1 blobs where you can make it untethered. Being new to the jailbreak scene, you probably don't know what blobs are and never saved them. So that being said, you're stuck being tethered for the time being until comex writes something for it.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro