Process of developing a JailBreak?

dt81

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Before I begin ranting I have much appreciation for the jailbreaker devs. for what they do and in no way bashing them.

My question is what is the process that a these jailbreaker developers do to create a jailbreak? Are they reading through lines of code looking for a weakness or something? 4.2 has been out officially for a few days now while 4.2 beta's have been out quite a while. Wouldn't that give Cydia plenty of time to make their platform 4.2 compatible? These guys say iOS4 is forever going to be jailbroken a lot quicker yet it doesn't seem like that. Granted 4.2 has nothing major for iPhone users but a lot of people love having the latest software. So does it really take that long for Cydia to work for 4.2 and for jailbreak devs to find a fix for the tethered issue? That's why I ask whats the process or what is done to look/find/create a successful jailbreak app?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
You are asking a very far reaching question that will have a very complicated answer. I can't answer it for you but I know that they have to find exploits that will allow them to run the altered firmware. These guys are very smart and don't get paid to do what they do. Yes some people give donations but even that is optional. They have been around since the begginning so for three years they have updated their tools for each firmware release. It is alot of work and again they do it for free. I don't think it's a question of getting a JB for 4.2 it's more about having an untethered JB. So users just need to be patient and if they love the JB so much they shouldn't/wouldn't have updated anyway. I once never updated from 2.0 JB even though official firmware was at 3.1.

crystus

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
First they have to dump the OS so that they can access the code, then they have to search for an exploit in order to gain root access. After they have the access they then have to test the exploit to see if it functions properly. Then they have to see if it is something that can provide a tethered or untethered jailbreak. So you know too they have to go through a ton of code. They not only look for bootrom exploits but userland exploits as well. And finding an exploit can take months. After they have tested the exploit and it works using apple code they now hove to write complete new code to use it as apple's code is copy righted. Once the new program is written it has to be tested for bugs to make sure that their code does not cause any other problems. Cydia also has to be updated as apple changes their frame work, file structure, and locations of files. Once all this has been done and beta tested they can release the jailbreak and then move onto the unlock.

Please note that this 4.2.1 release has thrown another wrench in the system. Apple has added another security measure that seeks to authenticate the base band. If the current base band does not match with what is expected the phone will not boot. Finding another exploit to create an untethered jail break is also difficult. You are lucky to find one or two exploits but then have to check every available option to find another one to untether it.

If you would really like to know about the process that they go through search for the 25C3 presentation from a while back. Also these guys do it in their spare time as most have work obligations and a couple are still in high school.

Reactions: Alli and Ipheuria

dt81

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I am not complaining, I was just wondering how complex it is to create a jailbreak or even alter a jailbreak to make it tethered or not tethered.

dt81

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
First they have to dump the OS so that they can access the code, then they have to search for an exploit in order to gain root access. After they have the access they then have to test the exploit to see if it functions properly. Then they have to see if it is something that can provide a tethered or untethered jailbreak. So you know too they have to go through a ton of code. They not only look for bootrom exploits but userland exploits as well. And finding an exploit can take months. After they have tested the exploit and it works using apple code they now hove to write complete new code to use it as apple's code is copy righted. Once the new program is written it has to be tested for bugs to make sure that their code does not cause any other problems. Cydia also has to be updated as apple changes their frame work, file structure, and locations of files. Once all this has been done and beta tested they can release the jailbreak and then move onto the unlock.

Please note that this 4.2.1 release has thrown another wrench in the system. Apple has added another security measure that seeks to authenticate the base band. If the current base band does not match with what is expected the phone will not boot. Finding another exploit to create an untethered jail break is also difficult. You are lucky to find one or two exploits but then have to check every available option to find another one to untether it.

If you would really like to know about the process that they go through search for the 25C3 presentation from a while back. Also these guys do it in their spare time as most have work obligations and a couple are still in high school.

Thanks for the info!! High school? Really? Wow!

crystus

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
The youngest one is the one who is responsible for the last untethered exploit. I think geo worked for google for a while will straf is a developer, saurik does consulting on the side.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I am not complaining, I was just wondering how complex it is to create a jailbreak or even alter a jailbreak to make it tethered or not tethered.

I didn't think you were complaining :D I just wanted to show how long they've been around and what they do for us JBers. I know there are people out there who think it's a simple process and should happen overnight.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods