Did I mess up my jailbreak by updating to 4.1?

Susanfw

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I jail broke my iPhone 3GS with jailbreakme a few months ago. I have kept iTunes at v.9.2.1.4 since then, not upgrading it. I did, however upgrade my phone from iOS3.2 to 4.0 without a problem. But now, I upgraded my phone to iOS 4.1, and find that none of my jailbreak apps are on my phone, including Cydia! Did I mess up my jailbreak? And what should I do now?

Thanks
Susan

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
Whenever you upgrade to a new firmware you have to rejailbreak from scratch. Think of each firmware as a different car and a Jailbreak as a coat of paint... Any JB apps need to be redownloaded, however Cydia keeps track of all purchased apps.

You can use greenpois0n with 4.1. Please check out my FAQ.

Last edited:

myzhi

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Updating the phone, puts it back to stock. You will loose any JB stuff, Cydia, apps, unlock and so on. You need to re-JB the phone with Pwnagetool, Redsnow, Limerain or Greenpoison. Afterward, you will see Cydia on the phone. Then, you need to reinstall any JB apps.

Reactions: farbod21

Susanfw

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
That's a better answer than I expected. Thank you so much. I thought I really blew it. So I guess I should just wait for the 4.2 jailbreak, right? And how does this relate to saving the SHSH blobs (which I didn't do)? How does that effect me?

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
That's a better answer than I expected. Thank you so much. I thought I really blew it. So I guess I should just wait for the 4.2 jailbreak, right? And how does this relate to saving the SHSH blobs (which I didn't do)? How does that effect me?

You might need 4.1 blobs saved... Please read my FAQ.

myzhi

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
You could wait for 4.2 JB would should be out any day now. Or, to could downgrade back to 4.1 and re-JB.

When you restore the phone, Apple uses SHSH check to allow or deny your ability to restore with that firmware. In most cases, they only allow you to restore with latest firmware, but if you saved the old SHSH files while Apple was still sending them out, you can trick ITunes into allowing you to restore to an older firmware. This is helpful if you accidentally updated to a non Jailbreakable firmware, but with your old SHSH saved, you can downgrade to JB firmware.

Thus, it's always good idea to save your SHSH files. And, what SHSH firmware files you can save has nothing to do with what firmware your phone is currently running. Only want Apple is still sending out. Download and use Tinyumbrella to do it. Since Apple is still sending out 4.1, you definitely want to save that asap. It seems that might be the key to future untethered JB.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal