Backing up sms messages after jailbreak

solomon684

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone, so I just jailbroke my iphone 4 today, and its pretty cool but nothing amazing, so I am considering undo-ing the jailbreak sooner or later. I backed up before I jailbroke, but iTunes is telling me the only backups is has are from this morning (I plugged it in and cancelled the sync), and from July 23.

If I restore it, the only things I need to keep are all my messages and contacts. I have my contacts also saved on the address book on my mac, and photos in iphoto, but how can I back up my messages now (or right before I restore the jailbreak) so that I can have them once I restore?

If I dont back up the messages will they be gone once I restore? Cause something got messed up syncing with iphoto once so I did a restore and I didnt lose anything on my phone, so why would this restore be different?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Back up again now even though you're jailbroken. You can still use this to restore after restoring as new.

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
if you restore and plan to re-jailbreak, you CAN get your SMS messages back via the app Chronus and via an SSH connection, but this, in turn, rejailbreaks your phone.

Honestly, with the PDF exploit out there, I would always have 4.0 and 4.0.1 jailbroken with the PDF Exploit Warning utility installed.

Simply having that and Cydia installed doesn't do anything bad to your phone, and if it does have an annoying side effect (no FaceTime, no MMS), Saurik seems to be able to get those bugs fixed fairly quickly.

solomon684

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Back up again now even though you're jailbroken. You can still use this to restore after restoring as new.
So a little while ago I added music to iTunes and want to sync it to my iphone...if I plug it in and let it sync everything automatically, the music will be added and it will overwrite the current backup and create a new backup, right? So if later I go to itunes and click restore, wont it restore to the jailbroken state and not to how it was prior to jailbreaking, since the jailbroken backup is the latest one?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Here are your steps:

1. Sync/backup
2. Restore as new
3. Sync, and when prompted choose to restore from previous backup.

Yes it will restore to what you had when jailbroken, but without the jailbroken stuff, cause iTunes doesn't deal with that.