Jailbreak 3.1.3 vs Jailbreak iOS4

Digitalspirit

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Hello forum I have a question, as we are all aware, iPhone Dev Team and Comex have the unlock and jailbreak ready for iOS4 and are just testing the exploit on the newly released iOS4.1 beta. My question is, is it worth upgrading from a jailbroken 3.1.3 to jailbreak iOS4?

What I mean is, it appears there are quite a few incompatible jailbreak only apps that do not work properly on iOS4, has anyone experience of upgrading from 3.1.3 to iOS4 (old bootrom users only for now of course) and having any problems with their JB specific apps (i.e. iBlueNova)?

As we already have the ability to multi-task with proswitcher, use themes with Winterboard and have folder support with categories, is it really worth upgrading to iOS4 only to risk making a bunch of apps redundant? I have my 3.1.3 SHSH blobs saved with Cydia so I could always downgrade, but why upgrade in the first place if it's not really worth it.

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
I'd read all the issues others have had once they upgraded to iOS4 before making that move. IMO, I don't believe it's worth it.

silkshocker#IM

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
personally, I have upgraded to the new IOS4 and hated it. I have a 3gs with 3.1.3 prior and that was jailbroken. Even if I jailbroke the IOS4 I don't think I would like it as much as the 3.1.3. Everything is so much slower and the constantly crashing. The apps were opened and closed without me doing anything. I think the 3.1.3 is best for 3gs and I will stick with it. I would however get the iphone 4 and then jailbreak it. The IOS4 is mean for the new iphone 4 processor. Everything else would be too slow.

peanutgallery

Apr 4, 2010
www.thepeanutgallery.net
I upgraded to a jailbroken iOS 4 on a 3gs from a jailbroken 3.1.3 and although I enjoy iOS 4 I've thought about downgrading back to 3.1.3. I have the old bootrom but was never jailbroken prior to 3.1.3 so I had to follow ih8sn0w's tutorial using spirit2pwn and create a custom iOS 4 ipsw. I'm not sure what it is exactly but I like the spirit jailbreak better. Since jailbreaking with sn0wbreeze I run into hiccups every now and then.

One of my biggest concerns is when respringing sometimes the phone will go into DFU mode and I need to hold power and home for 10 seconds to get it out. So far I haven't ran into an instance in which it gets stuck in a DFU loop fortunately, but I'm hesitant to respring sometimes.

I'm not sure what causes the DFU crash but I wonder if it is because there was a problem in the spirit2pwn process, despite the success msg when flashing, or if there is a problem in the custom ipsw, or if the problem is from a jailbroken app that isn't fully functional on iOS 4 yet.

I know once the dev team releases their jailbreak for iOS 4, that is allegedly similar to spirit, I plan to restore to an unjailbroken iOS 4 ipsw and re-jailbreaking using the new method. I say stay on 3.1.3 if you don't mind. I was content on 3.1.3 but curiosity got the best of me and wanted to try the spirit2pwn method.

Last edited:

matthirst

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
This is an interesting topic and the exact debate I?ve been pondering for when a jailbreak turns up (currently on new bootrom 3GS 3.1.3 Spirit jailbreak).

If anything, I think the only way iOS4 would affect me would be negatively, in that I use the double click home for camera a LOT (which wouldn?t even an option anymore). I?ve used backgrounder in the past and since uninstalled it, realising I never needed it! The only time I ever need another function over another app is texting?which BiteSMS does absolutely perfectly. On iOS4 I think I?d just get annoyed by loads of past apps in a saved state in the multitasking dock and want to close them all down.

My only hope is that we don?t start seeing apps popping up with the ?you must update to iOS4 to install this app? etc. Otherwise I?ll be perfectly happy on 3.1.3 for a good while yet!

Digitalspirit

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback guys!

It pretty much confirms my own worries about the upgrade, we pretty much have the features iOS4 provides anyway, so why change something that isn't fundamentally broken, I think I will stick with 3.1.3 for now unless there becomes a significant reason to upgrade.

w00dy

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I feel why change what you like. I enjoy my 3.1.3 spirit jb. The only ios4 option I think I would like would be the folders. I'm not a big fan of categories. Very slow and often sketchy

Digitalspirit

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm not a big fan of categories. Very slow and often sketchy
I would have to agree, I was using Categories and CategoriesSB, but after an update from Cydia my iPhone bricked and got stuck at the Apple logo, I had to do a complete restore and re-jailbreak, it seemed to be Categories that was the issue and I haven't re-installed it since.

w00dy

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I feel why change what you like. I enjoy my 3.1.3 spirit jb. The only ios4 option I think I would like would be the folders. I'm not a big fan of categories. Very slow and often sketchy

i_phone07

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I did not have a choice but to upgrade to the iOS4 because my battery was acting up and over heating so i had to restore the whole thing but since im kind of new to this i didnt know i had to save the SSH in case i wanted to downgrade so now im stuck with this. It sucks!!!do not upgrade. I will try to take it back to Apple and get another phone and hopefully it will be in the 3.1.3 but i doubt it :(

w00dy

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Thank you gleaz...! I just got categoriessb and what a HUGE difference. Now when I push the folder, there is zero lag time

thanks again