3GS jailbroken with Spirit 3.1.3 locked up, can't restore

pktgumby

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
I jailbroke this phone for the first time last month when Spirit was released and had no problems. Then, last night, Cydia told me it had a bunch of updates to install so I installed them. It looked like everything was going fine, then it got stuck when I selected to restart the springboard. I was forced to turn it off by holding power/home buttons. Now, I can get the phone into Recovery mode, but I am unable to restore through iTunes.

I've been searching around trying to figure this one out, with no luck. I have downloaded the 3.1.3 custom IPSW files, as well as trying a few of my old backups, but I get an error message each time either being incompatible, or not eligible, etc. I can run again and repost the exact errors if needed.

I just yesterday had uploaded my SHSH to Saurik's server through Cydia, if that makes a difference at all.

At this point, I'm not concerned with being able to re-jailbreak necessarily, I just want to get the phone back to being operational with any firmware. I will then likely upgrade to regular iOS 4.0.

I am currently on iTunes 9.1.0.79. Any suggestions on how to get this paper weight operational again?

randomasta

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried iRecovery or Recboot to get yourself out of the recovery mode? That might work.

Additionally, uploading the SHSHs to Cydia's server doesn't do anything if you don't then go ahead and alter your iTunes host file to point to Cydia's server instead of Apples. So if you do that you should be able to restore to whatever firmware you had uploaded to Cydia's server.

Oh and I should add, if you updated to iTunes 9.2, then you'd be able to simply go to iOS4...you need that to go to iOS4. But beware, that if you do that, you won't be able to then later downgrade to 3.1.3 and do Spirit (performing a spirit jailbreak doesn't work if you are on iTunes 9.2), unless you do it from a computer with an earlier iTunes.

pktgumby

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried iRecovery or Recboot to get yourself out of the recovery mode? That might work.

Additionally, uploading the SHSHs to Cydia's server doesn't do anything if you don't then go ahead and alter your iTunes host file to point to Cydia's server instead of Apples. So if you do that you should be able to restore to whatever firmware you had uploaded to Cydia's server.

Oh and I should add, if you updated to iTunes 9.2, then you'd be able to simply go to iOS4...you need that to go to iOS4. But beware, that if you do that, you won't be able to then later downgrade to 3.1.3 and do Spirit (performing a spirit jailbreak doesn't work if you are on iTunes 9.2), unless you do it from a computer with an earlier iTunes.
Hmm...ok, so I'll look up how to alter iTunes to point to Cydia first. If that doesn't work, I can actually upgrade to 4.0 as long as I update iTunes first? Didn't know that. Thanks!

pktgumby

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
Got it to finally restore to a 3.1.3 firmware, but then I was having issues with Cydia so I couldn't get SB Settings and Backgrounder, which were my main reasons for jailbreaking. Decided to then bite the bullet and go to 4.0....now I'm one of the many who have no data access :(

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen