Official Updating to iOS 4 from Jailbreak help thread

bromps

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys I REALLy want to update to 4.1 so here's what I got:

-3Gs
-Always jailbroken through blackra1n.com
-I'm a noob so his was so easy to jailbreak so I always stuck with that.

So I'm wondering if I can easily restore or somehow upgrade my iPhone to 4.1? Does anyone know what I have to do, because I am TOTALLY lost.

EDIT: it is a tethered jailbreak. I don't care if it's tethered or untethered just want a fast, efficient, and clean way to update my iPhone to 4.1 and still have the jailbroken functionality.

THANKS!

vrejional

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
hi i was trying to jailbreak and unlock my phone today using this video on youtube but i had a few problems. here's the video on youtube.
/watch?v=o7PCp7tIOVg

first thing i noticed my phone app is gone, phone wont turn off, i have a message that pops up saying "waiting for activation", and when i open cydia it doesnt load anything so i cant update , i cant get past 4:30 mark on the video, any help appreciated. I have t-mobile btw.

it's an iphone 3g

Nehemoth

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
First Hello, this is my first post here.

I'm looking information on how to upgrade, Jailbreak and Unlock my iPhone 3Gs.

I've read many post on how to accomplished this but I could not find a lot of (relevant) information for this, maybe cause my OS and Baseband are too old.

So the information

OS v = 3.1.2
Baseband = 05.11.07
BootLoader = 359.3
Jailbreaked = Yes
Tool used for Jailbreak = blackra1n
Unlocked = Yes
Tool used for Unlock = UltraSn0w
Type of Jailbreak = Untethered (Computer independent, note to myself)

I live outside United States (I don't know if this matter), I'm using iTunes version 10.0.0.68.

What I want?, a guide for the upgrade to iOS 4.1, later the Jailbreak and then the unlock.

More info, I don't mind to re-download all the apps that I have, I will take time but I don't mind. I sync regularly so I have backup (but I guess its not compatible between the version that I want to upgrade).

Thank you

Last edited:

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
First Hello, this is my first post here.

I'm looking information on how to upgrade, Jailbreak and Unlock my iPhone 3Gs.

3GS = If you want to keep your unlock you MUST wait for a pwnagetool to come out with a custom ipsw that does not upgrade your baseband. Once this is out, you can go to 4.1... If you do so before then, you will lose your unlock for the foreseeable future (at least until 4.2 is released).

Reactions: Nehemoth

Nehemoth

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
3GS = If you want to keep your unlock you MUST wait for a pwnagetool to come out with a custom ipsw that does not upgrade your baseband. Once this is out, you can go to 4.1... If you do so before then, you will lose your unlock for the foreseeable future (at least until 4.2 is released).

That was really fast.
That what I need to know. Now let me search about pwnagetool and when that release could happens.

Thank you again.

Nehemoth

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site

I can see that there's an unofficial guide to do this

hxxp://xxx.dkszone.net/jailbreak-ios-41-iphone-3gs-pwnagetool-unofficial

I know I will need a AT&T chip to activate the iPhone, so my question in this regards are, is this fine to risk doing this or should I wait?, also and more important, which improvement (you think) should come with the official version?.

Thank for your time

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
I can see that there's an unofficial guide to do this

hxxp://xxx.dkszone.net/jailbreak-ios-41-iphone-3gs-pwnagetool-unofficial

I know I will need a AT&T chip to activate the iPhone, so my question in this regards are, is this fine to risk doing this or should I wait?, also and more important, which improvement (you think) should come with the official version?.

Thank for your time

Actually you dont. Both Limera1n and Greenpois0n have hactivation built in.

I dont have a 3gs so I couldnt tell you. I wouldnt take a chance using the unofficial version because if it doesnt work, you will lose unlock, which Im sure you value dearly.... Id just wait a few days, should be out very soon.

Reactions: Nehemoth

dcraig7

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Pwnage Tool is out btw so if you'd like to upgrade without losing your unlock there you go. I tried it out last night and everything went perfect.

G Bananas

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
How does the release of 4.2 expedite the unlocking of 4.1? I'm trying to help a friend unlock his 16GB 3G, but the firmware has already been updated to 05.14.02. I told her that we're gonna have to wait a little while. Will I use greenpois0n to JB and unlock as well?

kontender

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
i am new to jailbreaking.

so, i am running an upgraded (ios 4.1 , firmware 05.14.02) iphone 3g.
i want to unlock my device, should i upgrade to 4.2?
or stay far away from it?

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
i am new to jailbreaking.

so, i am running an upgraded (ios 4.1 , firmware 05.14.02) iphone 3g.
i want to unlock my device, should i upgrade to 4.2?
or stay far away from it?

There is no current unlock for your baseband, but one should be out any day now. Do not upgrade to 4.2.1 as you might lose your ability to unlock...

Showtime2kX

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I've had my 3rd gen. iPod Touch jailbroken through Blackra1n for almost a year now. The firmware is 3.2.1 and I'd like to upgrade to the latest 4.2 and be able to also jailbreak it with Blackra1n as well. My question is how do I go about doing that? I'd like some sort of tutorial without bricking my iPod. I'd also like to know if, in the process, it's possible to keep my file/folder structure the same, keep my game saves and data, and also my wifi, VPN, and mail settings when upgrading?

I've been looking around for some tutorials on upgrading from 3.2.1 Blackra1n to 4.2 w/ Blackra1n and have found nothing. I need a noob-friendly guide. It doesn't look like iPod 3G is supported by PwnageTool.

Thanks in advance!

fredmercury

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Hope this is the right forum.. Updating from ios 4.0

I hope I have the right spot for this. I'm a newbie to the jailbreak. I have read a lot of how to's etc. To sum it up, I have a jailbroken 3gs using OS4
If I wanted to upgrade to 4.2 and keep the jailbreak, what is the process? Do I upgrade to 4.2 through itunes and then jailbreak again? Or can I just run the 4.2 jailbreak and it will upgrade automaticly. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hypnotic iEyez

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I have a jailbroken unlocked 3g S. Before it was jailbroken the person that jailbroke and unlocked it the SHSH was saved with IOS 3.1.3 with a firmware of 05.12.01. I just opened Cydia and it shows the IOS as 3.1.3, 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2 and 4.1. I would like to upgrade the the IOS but I am as new as a newborn baby when it comes to the iPhone. I think when I checked iTunes wants to upgrade to 4.2. Is there a jailbreak for 4.2 and will I also be able to unlock it again? Is it possible to only upgrade to 4.1? I am going to Denmark on New Years Day and want to have my phone unlocked so I can use it there. If it can be jailbroken and unlocked if I upgrade to 4.2 can anyone point me to where I can get SIMPLE step by step instructions? Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

larryganz

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I have a jailbroken unlocked 3g S. Before it was jailbroken the person that jailbroke and unlocked it the SHSH was saved with IOS 3.1.3 with a firmware of 05.12.01. I just opened Cydia and it shows the IOS as 3.1.3, 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2 and 4.1. I would like to upgrade the the IOS but I am as new as a newborn baby when it comes to the iPhone. I think when I checked iTunes wants to upgrade to 4.2. Is there a jailbreak for 4.2 and will I also be able to unlock it again? Is it possible to only upgrade to 4.1? I am going to Denmark on New Years Day and want to have my phone unlocked so I can use it there. If it can be jailbroken and unlocked if I upgrade to 4.2 can anyone point me to where I can get SIMPLE step by step instructions? Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

I can't help you completely other than to advise you to use pwnagetool 4.1 to update without updating your baseband, or you will lose the ability to unlock it. see tipb.com/2010/10/21/jailbreak-ios-41-pwntagetool-4/ My understanding is 4.1 on the iPhone 4 can't be unlocked, but on the 3GS it can be IF you don't let iTunes upgrade your baseband. That might be wrong info, so double check because you might need to stay at 4.01 to unlock with Ultrasn0w.

I also seem to recall that you could use the tinyumbrella TSS server to upgrade to iOS 4.1 without updating your baseband, but I don't know if that still works. I didn't want to risk it and all out iPhones are still at 4.01 until I can research the new options more.

My understanding is you can't go to 4.2.1 without a baseband upgrade, as iOS has some baseband checker for that version. You will lose the ability to unlock for sure with 4.2.x

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods