Official Updating to iOS 4 from Jailbreak help thread

micky_rooney

Aug 31, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,

Yesterday I had an issue with a JB'n iphone 3gs running on 3.1.3 via sprint and (Each time I clicked the home button to come out of apps it always went to my lockscreen and then never went off that screen - only autolock could prevent this but it was more or less a gonner). I searched around to see if I could solve it (Tried DFU mode, Reboot etc - Still the issue was there). In all honestly I'm quite new to JB so I did more research regarding how to back up Cydia apps and what knot so it would save time to re-JB if I choose to do so and the relevent steps to follow. First of all I performed a backup in itunes, then installed aptbackup (Clicked app - choose backup option --> followed by the itunes step backup again i think). At this stage I'm thinking i'm more or less set, backed up my cydia apps (I'm hoping, backup iphone beforehand anyway), now to update to firmware ios 4 and solve my buggy iphone altogether. I went ahead and downloaded 9.2 first-> and installed ios 4 afterwards..

Outcome: After the firmware successfully installed I have some apps that are still available from my JB days (Just yesterday), I thought I would lose my apps that I got during the JB'n days (Refering to apps from installous rather than anywhere else).

1) What are my next best steps to follow guys? I miss the SB Settings etc. Will I need to wait for a new JB available with ios 4?

2) Also I didn't click restore in itunes after the firmware installed I simply unplugged it, should I have done for whatever reason?

If anyone can help with that, much appreciated

Foo

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi
I am new here. I was searching online on how to get the latest OS4 on a jailbroken iphone and found a TON of info. I want to be safe so hopefully you guys can help me out.

Stats:
Iphone 3Gs
version 3.0.1 (7A400)
Itune version 8.1.2.6
Jailbroken with redsn0w a long time ago.

How do i go about updating to OS4? and jailbreak it?
will i lose my contacts/apps/photos if i update?
can someone guide me step by step? or at least point me to the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

Newbie#IM

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Spirit J/B 3.1.3 3GS upgrading to iOS 4.0

Hi Experts,

I see more than one person in the same situation I am and I have the same question plus one - I am hoping one of you expert guys can answer and help us all :)

1. Have an unlocked 3GS 3.1.3 (MB model) jailbroken with Spirit - SHSH not saved (learnt about it too late :()
2. Want to upgrade to iOS 4.0 - and save SHSH of 4.0.

Question 1: Is there a way to preserve Spirit j/b when upgrading to 4.0?

Question Plus 1:
My dilemma is - once Apple releases 4.01/4.1 it will stop signing 4.0 (am I wrong in this assumption?) - which means I will need 4.0 SHSH on the server. Which is why I want to upgrade to 4.0 and save the blobs now. This would obviously mean that I will lose my jailbreak and unlock - and I can live with it for a couple of months - hopefully Dev team or Comex will release a j/b and unlock for iOS 4.0 right after the release of 4.01 and I will be back in business. I need the phone unlocked in Oct - which is when I am travelling out of the country for a few months.

Can some one comment on whether my understand is right - that to ensure future unlock, I should upgrade to 4.0 now and temporarily lose j/b and u/l? Is that not the right path?

Thanks much,
~R

Last edited:

theringer

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi Experts,

I see more than one person in the same situation I am and I have the same question plus one - I am hoping one of you expert guys can answer and help us all :)

1. Have an unlocked 3GS 3.1.3 (MB model) jailbroken with Spirit - SHSH not saved (learnt about it too late :()
2. Want to upgrade to iOS 4.0 - and save SHSH of 4.0.

Question 1: Is there a way to preserve Spirit j/b when upgrading to 4.0?

Question Plus 1:
My dilemma is - once Apple releases 4.01/4.1 it will stop signing 4.0 (am I wrong in this assumption?) - which means I will need 4.0 SHSH on the server. Which is why I want to upgrade to 4.0 and save the blobs now. This would obviously mean that I will lose my jailbreak and unlock - and I can live with it for a couple of months - hopefully Dev team or Comex will release a j/b and unlock for iOS 4.0 right after the release of 4.01 and I will be back in business. I need the phone unlocked in Oct - which is when I am travelling out of the country for a few months.

Can some one comment on whether my understand is right - that to ensure future unlock, I should upgrade to 4.0 now and temporarily lose j/b and u/l? Is that not the right path?

Thanks much,
~R

Follow the steps in this post to go from 3.1.3 spirit jailbreak to 4.0 pwned

http://forum.tipb.com/iphone-jailbreak-unlock/192834-how-jb-unlock-3gs-new-old-boot-ios4.html

MacHarbin

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Unable to jailbreak after ISO4.0.1 install

New BootRom 3gs iphone>installed OS4.0.1>Attempted to jailbreak with redsn0w> got to the part where you hold down the home and power button in overlapping intervals>did not restart after 30 minute wait> bricked>restored>attempted to redo jailbreak>can't find ISPW not found (even though it was there)> installed pwnageTool> Jailbreak> can't find ISPW> updated itunes> attempted again with Redsn0w and pwnageTool> failed.

What should I do now???

theringer

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
New BootRom 3gs iphone>installed OS4.0.1>Attempted to jailbreak with redsn0w>
That wont work, redsnow and 3gs is old bootrom only. 4.x is only jailbreakable upgrading from previously jailbroken.

got to the part where you hold down the home and power button in overlapping intervals>did not restart after 30 minute wait> bricked>restored>
You are lucky it restored, count your blessings.

attempted to redo jailbreak>can't find ISPW not found (even though it was there)> installed pwnageTool> Jailbreak> can't find ISPW> updated itunes> attempted again with Redsn0w and pwnageTool> failed.

What should I do now???
See the part right after my 1st quote of your post. In case that is confusing as to where to look up there...

That wont work, redsnow and 3gs is old bootrom only. 4.x is only jailbreakable upgrading from previously jailbroken.

RiverSong

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Can't Find .IPSW file

Hello! I'm trying to jailbreak by iPhone 3G running iOS 4 with Redsn0w 0.9.5. It keeps asking for my current .ipsw file. I can't find it anywhere, it's not located in my Library or or my "iPhone Software Updates" folder.

About a week ago I updated to iOS 4 via iTunes.

Can anyone help?

kdarraz

Jan 25, 2009
Visit site
Help Hacktivate Iphone

Hi all,
I'm completly stuck and would love your help!!!
I (used to) have an Iphone 3GS, running 3.1.2, jailbrokenn and unlocked. I updated to the 4.0.1 (8A306) using the ISPW from iClarified, and using Shift restore in Itunes.
I got stuck when activating the Iphone, it does require an unlocked SIM Card.
Is there a way to hacktivate the Iphone?
I'm running Windows Vista and Itunes 9.2

Thanks for your help, I'm desperate!
K.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I believe that the firmware will only work if you have an old bootrom. Do you know which bootrom you have? You should be able to download sn0wbreeze to hactivate if that's the case ( and you're on a pc. If Mac use pwnage tool but it has the same requirement of old bootrom)

kdarraz

Jan 25, 2009
Visit site
I believe that the firmware will only work if you have an old bootrom. Do you know which bootrom you have? You should be able to download sn0wbreeze to hactivate if that's the case ( and you're on a pc. If Mac use pwnage tool but it has the same requirement of old bootrom)

Thank you Big9erfan. How can I know the bootrom version, while my iphone is locked? I tried Sn0wbreeze, and it does not recognize the 4.0.1 firmware.

WowIndescribable

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Factory unlocked

Here's my situation.

* 3Gs - FACTORY UNLOCKED BY APPLE
* I don't know if it is jailbroken or not
* Would like to upgrade to 4.x via iTunes as a normal user

Assuming the phone is jailbroken, is this safe or will it brick or cause other problems?

I don't care about having it jailbroken in 4.x but do care about my data and functionality!

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
i have a brand new iphone (3gs) running 3.1.3 software. i heard there pretty much wasnt any jailbreak for that version so i decided ill wait a few days until 4.0 software comes out (which i hear already has jailbreak for beta versions).
so i was wondering. when i jailbreak my phone does that delete all my ringtones,music,apps or what? also is there going to be a stable jailbreak available for the real 4.0 software coming out tomorrow?
Spirit is a untethered jailbreak option for 3.1.3.

Jaypeg

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Hello all, I hope this is the right place for this question Im rather confused at this point. I have a Jailbroken 3gs 3.1.3 via Spirit with the new bootrom... what Im hoping to do is upgrade to at least iOS4 for Id like to have the new features, Id also like to jailbreak it again. Currently my Itunes is telling me that the newer software that is available to me is ver 4.0.1, when I know Apple has already released iOS 4.1?. I have Itunes ver 9.0.3.15. Can someone give me advice to decide what the best route to take?

CarlMinez

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I FU*KED up bad.

But I think this could be solved with just a little help from you guys. I have a few important cracked apps. With notes and data. I downloaded AppSync and synced all my cracked apps with iTunes. Everything seemed fine so I updated to 4.1

But when I tried to sync the iPod Touch of mine with iTunes I get an error message at the end with iTunes telling me it couldnt transfer certain apps - namely all my cracked apps.

Why is this?

Is there anyway i can transfer my cracked apps to my iPod Touch without iTunes?

Is there anyway I can trick iTunes into thinking my apps are legit?

CarlMinez

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Hello all, I hope this is the right place for this question Im rather confused at this point. I have a Jailbroken 3gs 3.1.3 via Spirit with the new bootrom... what Im hoping to do is upgrade to at least iOS4 for Id like to have the new features, Id also like to jailbreak it again. Currently my Itunes is telling me that the newer software that is available to me is ver 4.0.1, when I know Apple has already released iOS 4.1?. I have Itunes ver 9.0.3.15. Can someone give me advice to decide what the best route to take?

Try to update your iTunes to the latest version. Perhaps this will solve the problem. If the problems remains then ask iTunes to do another update check.

dwg

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
@Jaypeg - maybe you are lucky? If iTunes only upgrades you to 4.01 it seems that you will be able to go straight to jailbreakme.com. If you get upgraded to 4.1 you will have to downgrade before jailbreaking.

This is what is holding _me_ back... If I have to downgrade, it means wiping my phone and I haven't had the time to set aside for rebuilding it. And so I sit happily at JB 3.1.2.

theringer

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys!

I know most of u aren't new to jb but, i'd like to tell u, i have a webapp for beginners. I hope it will be helpful for start jailbreak. Of course, all content is in english. It's called "I DO JB". I released it only 2 days ago. It tells u the most important thing what u have to know about jailbreak and cydia. This is my first webapp so pls feel free to let me know my mistakes. It doesn't require jb to install it. Thanks guys!

Talk about heavy spam, this is the 6th thread youve spammed this in

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox