Official Updating to iOS 4 from Jailbreak help thread

TulioAdriano

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
On same situation as Survivor61, I did connect my iPhone to iTunes 9.2, and it says that a new version is available (3.1.3) anyone knows why? Is it required before going to iOS4?

Edit: Well by clicking Help/Check for Updates it now suggests 4.0.

Based on DEV-TEAM website we have nothing to do but wait.

Last edited:

TulioAdriano

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
That is correct. iTunes 9.2 is required to upgrade to iOS4

Thanks for the answer but my question was regarding iTunes 9.2 telling me to update to 3.1.3, but I guess that mystery was solved too, just had to click Help/Check for updates and iTunes found iOS 4.

So, nothing to do. Sit down and wait until DEV-TEAM releases the tools. I hope nobody goes crazy and update to 4.0. To kill my anxiety I'll just download the 4.0 SDK and have a play on it.

SorryOrange

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Help Please.

I was just wondering?

I have a Jailbroken 3.1.3 device, and I have iTunes 9.2 installed an running. I read on tipb that I had to restore to Regular 3.1.3 in order to successfully Update to iOS4, but when I tried to ?Shift+Click? Restore and select firmware in iTunes 9.2, it told me that it isn?t compatible.

Can someone tell me what I did wrong, or tell me what I need to do? Or even answer this one question ? If I click Restore in iTunes, will it restore to 3.1.3 automatically and Update to iOS4? Or will I have to actually manually restore to 3.1.3? I?ve been dying to know, but scared to try it out.

Thanks Guys.

Last edited:

Dementius

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
Future jailbreak

I've seen this question asked multiple times now but I don't think I've seen a clear answer to it yet. Does anyone know for sure if I update my iPhone 3GS from a jailbroken 3.1.2 to official iOS 4.0 willingly giving up my jailbreak if I will be able to jailbreak it again in the future once the DevTeam finalizes and releases their jailbreak software. I'm assuming yes since it should be the same as a never before jailbroken phone running iOS 4 being jailbroken, but am still worried about updating. I don't mind giving up jailbreak for a few days while I play with the new features but don't want to not be able to jailbreak it in the future.

park3r

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I've seen this question asked multiple times now but I don't think I've seen a clear answer to it yet. Does anyone know for sure if I update my iPhone 3GS from a jailbroken 3.1.2 to official iOS 4.0 willingly giving up my jailbreak if I will be able to jailbreak it again in the future once the DevTeam finalizes and releases their jailbreak software. I'm assuming yes since it should be the same as a never before jailbroken phone running iOS 4 being jailbroken, but am still worried about updating. I don't mind giving up jailbreak for a few days while I play with the new features but don't want to not be able to jailbreak it in the future.

There's obviously no way to know that right now. Though, from what I've been reading, the Dev-Team seems pretty confident jailbreaking/unlocking the 3GS is going to be possible at some point.

That said, I updated my 3G to iOS 4.0 and jailbroke it just fine. It adds all the missing functionality that Apple took away, like pseudo-multitasking, background images, etc. The only issue is that most jailbreak apps aren't compatible with the new OS. For instance, anything that uses the Mobile Substrate package (like Winterboard) will crash.

j1999t

May 17, 2010
Visit site
i am only going to ask this once, no reposts, nothing, and i would like a solid answer if that is possible

i have an ipod 64gb 3rd generation, with 3.1.3, and jailbroken...

does anyone have an idea of when a jailbreak will be available for iOS 4? i do not want to upgrade until a jailbreak is available...

and i am hoping it will be possible to upgrade using something like pwnage tool so it will remain jailbroken

and whats the app the backs up all the cydia apps that i have downloaded and would restore them afterwards

thanks!!!

fridayxiii

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
My 3GS was previously JB w/3.1.2. I upgraded to iOS4 today, and my baseband is 5.13.4.

The upgrade was very easy: hook up iPhone to MacBook, start iTunes. I was notified of the update to 3.1.3, which I accepted. iTunes downloaded iOS4, backed up my iPhone, installed the firmware & confirmed. Voila - done!

My money is that the Dev Team has a JB out for the full/official version of iOS4 for the 3GS in the near future, but hopefully by then I'll have a nice, new, white iPhone 4 in my hands, and I won't have to worry about it. ;)

sproctor61

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
My 3GS was previously JB w/3.1.2. I upgraded to iOS4 today, and my baseband is 5.13.4.

The upgrade was very easy: hook up iPhone to MacBook, start iTunes. I was notified of the update to 3.1.3, which I accepted. iTunes downloaded iOS4, backed up my iPhone, installed the firmware & confirmed. Voila - done!

My money is that the Dev Team has a JB out for the full/official version of iOS4 for the 3GS in the near future, but hopefully by then I'll have a nice, new, white iPhone 4 in my hands, and I won't have to worry about it. ;)

Yea same thing here. I want to update but don't want my JB to go bye bye lol.

TulioAdriano

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
PwnageTool 4.0 is out! Check it out

blog.iphone-dev.org

PwnageTool 4.0 only recognizes the official IPSWs that came out yesterday. If you had developer access to the ?4.0 GM? IPSWs, do not try to use those.

iPhone 3GS

Summary: Currently, PwnageTool only works on previously jailbroken 3GS devices with the old bootrom.

If you have a Jailbroken iPhone 3GS with the OLD BOOTROM and you DID NOT use Spirit to jailbreak then you can create the ipsw with PwnageTool 4.0 and restore with your jailbroken recovery mode.
If you have an iPhone 3GS with the NEW BOOTROM this is NOT supported by PwnageTool 4.0
iPhone 3G

If you have a Jailbroken iPhone 3G at 3.1.2 (but not jailbroken with Spirit) then you should create the ipsw with PwnageTool 4.0 and restore from recovery mode or DFU mode.
If you have an out of the box iPhone 3G you should restore using a PwnageTool 4.0 ipsw using DFU mode.
If you have a Jailbroken 3.1.3 iPhone 3G it is very possible that this can fail from recovery mode, if this failure happens you will need to restore using DFU mode.
As an alternative to PwnageTool, you can use redsn0w on iPhone 3G (on both Windows and Mac) as mentioned in our last post.
IMPORTANT! Whenever you need to enter DFU mode, you will need to do so using PwnageTool.

iPod touch 2G

If you have an iPod touch 2G (non-MC model) that is jailbroken (but not with Spirit) then you can restore using recovery mode.
As an alternative to PwnageTool, you can use redsn0w on non-MC iPod Touch 2G (on both Windows and Mac) as mentioned in our last post.
Baseband Unlock

As you probably know by now, ultrasn0w has been updated to cover all basebands from 04.26.08 onward. Many thanks to @sherif_hashim for finding the crashing command that the new ultrasn0w 0.93 uses! He worked hard at finding the crash, and he kept it confidential until the right time to use it.
iPhone 3G and 3GS baseband unlockers (those who rely on ultrasn0w to make phone calls) should always be very wary to update their firmware, however our Ultrasn0w application will unlock all recent (including the current) 3GS and 3G baseband firmware versions. Once you are jailbroken using PwnageTool 4.0, install ultrasn0w from Cydia and you?ll be unlocked.
Remember! This baseband unlock situation is rare, should you upgrade your iPhone blindly at the next iOS release please don?t expect an unlock - but for now you are OK (whatever state your baseband is in).
Please feel free to ask any questions in the comment section below. We?ve got a bunch of expert help there, including our friendly moderators confucious and angie!

bruceg

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
iphone 3g and ios4

hi,

i have an iphone 3g running os 3.1 on baseband 04.26.08 and i am wondering if i can update and restore to ios 4 and stay unjailbroken for awhile and then jailbreak and unlock at a later date.

thanks,

bruce

josh.nippon

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Upgrading Spirit JB 3Gs w/ 3.1.3 & 5.12.01 to iOS4

Hi JohnH59,

Please elaborate on your post. It appears several people don't understand your final result.

Your restore from backup returned you to Spirt JB state with a working upgrade to iOS4?

Last edited:

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
Hi JohnH59,

Please elaborate on your post. It appears several people don't understand your final result.

Your restore from backup returned you to Spirt JB state with a working upgrade to iOS4?

No, I did not have a working JB afterwards. I didn't have any JB apps remaining on the phone. The process simply restored my App Store apps back on the device. But, using the Restore button instead of the Check for Updates seemed to keep me from having problems like many have mentioned. So, the end result is a stock phone running iOS4.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
yes you can

hi,

i have an iphone 3g running os 3.1 on baseband 04.26.08 and i am wondering if i can update and restore to ios 4 and stay unjailbroken for awhile and then jailbreak and unlock at a later date.

thanks,

bruce

Yes you can, just check on the baseband info but I beleive Redsnow is able to JB 4 and unlock on any baseband. I was on 3.1.2 JB I did a sync and a backup then clicked restore which did it all in one shot. In the end I was on iOS 4 did a restore from backup to put back all my settings etc. and half hour later the phone was ready. I suggest the same steps, be aware that 4 on a 3G you don't get custom wallpapers.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
That said, I updated my 3G to iOS 4.0 and jailbroke it just fine. It adds all the missing functionality that Apple took away, like pseudo-multitasking, background images, etc. The only issue is that most jailbreak apps aren't compatible with the new OS. For instance, anything that uses the Mobile Substrate package (like Winterboard) will crash.

this is exactly what i am experiencing right now. anyone else?

sproctor61

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
PwnageTool 4.0 worked fine and only took me a few minutes on my 3.1.2 iPhone 3Gs. I am now running 4.0 Jailbroken and all works well. Just wanted to pass it on.