Official Updating to iOS 4 from Jailbreak help thread

bruceg

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
Yes you can, just check on the baseband info but I beleive Redsnow is able to JB 4 and unlock on any baseband. I was on 3.1.2 JB I did a sync and a backup then clicked restore which did it all in one shot. In the end I was on iOS 4 did a restore from backup to put back all my settings etc. and half hour later the phone was ready. I suggest the same steps, be aware that 4 on a 3G you don't get custom wallpapers.

thanks ipheuria. so are you currently on ios4 not jailbroken? also i forgot to mention i am currently jailbroken, does that change anything? and as i mentioned before....

i have an iphone 3g running os 3.1 on baseband 04.26.08 and i am wondering if i can update and restore to ios 4 and stay unjailbroken for awhile and then jailbreak and unlock at a later date.

belumira

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I have an iPod Touch 3G 3.1.3 Jailbroken with Spirit, can I upgrade to iOS 4 with iTunes? I don't care about jailbreaking iOS now, I can wait.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
thanks ipheuria. so are you currently on ios4 not jailbroken? also i forgot to mention i am currently jailbroken, does that change anything? and as i mentioned before....

i have an iphone 3g running os 3.1 on baseband 04.26.08 and i am wondering if i can update and restore to ios 4 and stay unjailbroken for awhile and then jailbreak and unlock at a later date.

I was JB before iOS4 so shouldn't matter. I was on iOS4 for about half a day. You can stay on iOS4 for as long as you want before JBing. I would advise you to sync and backup your phone now. Then lookup the baseband question to see if you can unlock it after you update. You need to JB to unlock though so if you need to unlock you wont be able to run without JBing. Once you have your answer connect your phone and click restore it will wipe your phone and update you to iOS4.

elasticx

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Total new to the JB scene, but I have a 3.1.2 3GS (baseband 05.11.07) which I need to get unlocked I will be cancelling my phone contract. I also want to use ios4 unlocked.

Would it be better to JB/unlock on 3.1.2 first, and update to ios4 after that? or can I directly use the pwnage tool 4.1 to JB, and then blacksn0w or something else to unlock ios4?

Any ideas on a safe method would be appreciated.

Joshb14

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Jailbroken iOS4 help!!

I am running a jailbroken 3G and I just upgraded/jailbroke iOS4 via pwnage 4.01. Only problem is now I can't get cydia to add any new sources. I go to manage/add sources and type the ones I wish to add, it gets all the way to "downloading packages" on the blue status bar and then freezes there. I can touch the home button and get back to my home screen but when I log back into cydia it is still stuck "downloading packages" do the new packages really just take that long to download? I have re-jailbroke twice once restored from a back up and once set up as a new phone. still with the same issue. any suggestions???

jammert19

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm new here, virgin iPhone 3GS, never jailbroken. I updated to iOS4 GM seed about 2 weeks ago. I had this crazy idea, downgrade to 3.1.2 and then jailbreak there with redsn0w, afterwards continue on using Dev-Team's tool to jailbreak 4.0. I was wondering if this is even remotely possible, any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jamm

silkshocker#IM

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm new here, virgin iPhone 3GS, never jailbroken. I updated to iOS4 GM seed about 2 weeks ago. I had this crazy idea, downgrade to 3.1.2 and then jailbreak there with redsn0w, afterwards continue on using Dev-Team's tool to jailbreak 4.0. I was wondering if this is even remotely possible, any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jamm

what bootrom do you have?

rknowlt

Feb 27, 2009
Visit site
Upgraded my 3.1.2 JB 3GS to iOS 4.0 last night using a custom ipsw I made with the newest sn0wbreeze (v1.6). Worked like a charm with one bug. My phone keeps asking for my voicemail password in a pop up. Is there a way to make it stop or is this a known bug on JB iOS 4? Even putting in my correct code doesn't make it go away. It will pop back up within a few minutes or so.

Superuser

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Get what you need to jailbreak your phone

I found a website that had all of the latest software for jailbreaking and unlocking. The site is jailbreaksite.com. check it out.... it worked for me

r5murphy

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
JB 3.1.3 ->ios4 issue

Hey all,
Had a JB 3.1.3 sprint and yesterday went ahead and downloaded 9.2-> backed up my phone and installed ios 4. But now most of my apps don't work including the app store app. Has anyone had this issue and what is my next move to fix my problems. Also, some element(s) of the JB are still there because where the at&t logo usually is it's still showing "Rob" when I changed the name previously.
Has anyone had these issues and what can I do to fix the problems.

Thanks,
Rob

rknowlt

Feb 27, 2009
Visit site
if i update my jailbroken iphone 3gs 3.1.3, will it brick? i dont care about losing my jailbreak at all, just wondering if it will brick.

Step 1- sync to backup your data
Step 2- restore as new phone
Step 3- update to 4.0 with iTunes.
Step 4- resync your data

No more jailbreak but you will have a nice clean install of iOS 4.0.

fredflintstone#IM

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Can this one be broken in ios4?

Here is the details of my phone

My phone is a 3GS, 16Gb.
The version is 4.0 (8A293)
Model MC131B
Firmware 05.13.04

I have checked the boot rom and is 359.3 so I guess this id the old boot rom.

It was jailbroken in 3.1.3 but with what I don't know.

Cheers

deano110483

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
jailbreak?

hi, i have just jailbroken my 16g 3gs with spirit. i have downloaded some apps through installous and there is updates for some of these apps in the app store. is it ok to update apps through the original app store or not?? thanks.

southern_storm

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Quick Question

Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I am running 3.1.2 on my iPod 2G (Jailbroken). Is the correct method to update to 4.0, (regardless of whether I want to jailbreak again or not on 4.0) to just hit update and let it run. Or, should I restore and then update after a backup?

Thanks in advance for your help :).

r5murphy

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi Guy's?Gal's
I did the following to update to 4.0
Step 1- sync to backup your data
Step 2- restore as new phone
Step 3- update to 4.0 with iTunes.
Step 4- resync your data

No more jailbreak but you will have a nice clean install of iOS 4.0.

It worked fine but I lost all my pics. Is that normal or can I still get them
back from itunes.

Thanks,
Rob

silvrwoman

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Okay, so I'm hoping someone can explain this to me in layman's terms, because I don't understand any of this:

I have an iPhone 3GS, software version 3.1.3 that I jailbroke using Spirit. I use a Mac OSX 10.5.8. I was thinking about upgrading to Apple's new iPhone 4.0 software, but I haven't yet because I'm confused about whether or not I can jailbreak it again.

1) The Dev-team's site says that PwnageTool 4.01 "only works on previously jailbroken 3GS devices with the old bootrom."
-->What is "bootroom," and how do I know what kind I have?

2) The site also says if "...you DID NOT use Spirit to jailbreak then you can create the ipsw with PwnageTool 4.0 and restore with your jailbroken recovery mode. "
--> I used Spirit to jailbreak 3.1.3 - is it still possible for me to jailbreak 4.0? If so, how?
--> What is an ipsw? Would this allow me to keep the apps/etc I obtained using Cydia? Or will I lose all of my info once I upgrade/jailbreak again?

3) Should I upgrade to 4.0 through iTunes? If so, should I do this before I jailbreak to 4.0 (if possible), or do I upgrade to 4.0 through the jailbreaking process?

4) In your opinion: Should I upgrade to 4.0?

Thank you so much. I know for most of you these are stupid questions, and I appreciate any help/advice given.