HOW TO: Custom SMS Tones for FREE!

tourstagefan

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Dumb question, but did you actually listen to the tones after you activated the UISounds theme? Because the names won't change, just the sounds. Bite won't matter, I've done this exact thing with Bite installed and it works fine.

One other thought--I don't use ToneFX; it is possible you need to reset it to use the new tones (either by reselecting them or rebooting maybe)? Just a thought.

I realize that the original labels for the 6 SMS tones will remain the same. Unfortunately, they still all generate the same single tone. :(

So, I removed the "Custom UI Sounds" folder from the "stash" folder and now the "Custom UI Sounds" theme no longer shows up on Winterboard.....

Should I try deleting both the "BiteSMS" and "ToneFXs" apps? Then, using CyberDuck, perhaps try overwriting the existing "sms-received1-6.caf" files with fresh ones?

Thanks again for everyone's input, it's really great to have such a helpful resource!:cool:

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Wait, you say you removed it from stash?did you ever put it in the Library>Themes folder and try to activate that one? If it's in that folder it should show in WB.

Reactions: tourstagefan

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Why don't you try this, get in there with cyberduck and grab one of the original .caf files that you will replace. This will be your backup of the original, once you have it downloaded to your computer upload your custom file with the same name to the location. Then respring your phone and choose that tone from sounds under settings. It should give you a sample when you click on it see if it plays your custom tone.

I have had a problem like this where my icons just don't change in my theme for camera and photos. It's like it's pulling it from somewhere other than the original location. So if that doesn't work I say do it through BiteSMS.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Yup, did that first. So strange that it is not working. :(

So strange. I'd probably just start fresh and do it step by step again very methodically. Check to make sure all your spelling/capitalization is correct as this stuff is case-sensitive. Make sure none of the tones are too long--I think there's a limit of 25-30 seconds. Maybe try adding .theme to the end of your Custom UISounds folder. (Shouldn't matter, but why not?) Make sure it's in the correct Library>Themes folder under Root. Maybe try rebooting instead of just respringing. We'll hit on it eventually.

I like Ipheuria's idea too about testing things that way!

tourstagefan

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Why don't you try this, get in there with cyberduck and grab one of the original .caf files that you will replace. This will be your backup of the original, once you have it downloaded to your computer upload your custom file with the same name to the location. Then respring your phone and choose that tone from sounds under settings. It should give you a sample when you click on it see if it plays your custom tone.

I have had a problem like this where my icons just don't change in my theme for camera and photos. It's like it's pulling it from somewhere other than the original location. So if that doesn't work I say do it through BiteSMS.

Thanks for the helpful advice. Will try it now!

tourstagefan

May 15, 2010
Visit site
So strange. I'd probably just start fresh and do it step by step again very methodically. Check to make sure all your spelling/capitalization is correct as this stuff is case-sensitive. Make sure none of the tones are too long--I think there's a limit of 25-30 seconds. Maybe try adding .theme to the end of your Custom UISounds folder. (Shouldn't matter, but why not?) Make sure it's in the correct Library>Themes folder under Root. Maybe try rebooting instead of just respringing. We'll hit on it eventually.

I like Ipheuria's idea too about testing things that way!

Will do. Thanks again!

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Yeah Massie gave you some sound advice there I think we'll be able to get it working for you. You could also as a test use a tone from Free Ringtones for mobile and iPhone - Audiko this is where I get all my SMS tones. At the top make sure the search bar says Audiko search and search for SMS Tones. Then when you find one download the mp3 version and turn it into a .caf file. This way you can be sure there are no timing issues etc. You could also change the name of the file in your UISounds folder to lock or unlock. This would set the tone as the lock or unlock sound. If it works for that then you know your file is good and your folder placement is right. If it doesn't work it gives us a little more info on what might be the problem.

tourstagefan

May 15, 2010
Visit site
SUCCESS!

On a hunch, I thought that "ToneFXs" may have been the cause of the problem.

I removed it, et voila! My 6 tones are in the original slots under the original SMS tone names.

Thanks so much to everyone who tried to help me resolve this, special thanks to "Massie" and "Ipheuria" for all the helpful suggestions!

It is support like this that makes this forum such a close-knit community! :cool::cool:

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Great! You could always try putting tonefxs back after the fact...I'd be curious to see if it then worked.

jaywiz

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I have tone affects as well,how do i add new tones?right now i downloaded the greenpoison(ios4.2.1)theme and can use all those but not sure how to add new ones.

Also back to the original poster..where do i find windows explorer.Sorry for the noob questions just new to the whole realm of things apple.

Crypton

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I jailbroke my 3GS on Friday using Sn0wbreeze (tethered).
The above mentioned hack to change the SMS ringtone did not work then!

Today I jailbroke using redsn0w. I was able to change my SMS ringtone again :)

So if this is not working for you, it might be the jailbrake you're using.

poda521

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm on 4.3.1 with Winterboard.

I tried everything the first post wanted me to do, down to the tee and I'm still not getting it to work. I tried renaming it to different caf files other than the 1st one. I'm not getting any luck whatsoever.
I tried using creating a new theme but I get this error message "No such file exists...Error Code 2...Error Code 14". My themes folder is for some reason labeled themes.myihjg.

What do I do?

I'm using WinSCP and OpenSSH.

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
While trying (and failing) to get this to work on my phone I came across this. Might be interesting to others.

Changing the SMS ringtone names in your iPhone

Now to figure out why the new tone doesn't play on the phone... It plays just fine on my PC.

Edit After a respring, it worked just great! Now my son can giggle at me whenever I get a text!

Last edited:

Freiteez

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
This is a million times easier on ios5 now :p same way as making a ringtone in iTunes but make it 2-5 secs instead of 30secs.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner