ATTN: Lvcifer & Alli

ElectricDoodie

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I've been lurking these boards for the past 4 months or so. When there was no JB, these boards were pretty dead, with the occasional person saying they "accidenty" updated their phone and what to do. You 2, plus someone else who's name I can't remember, would always have the right answers and help people out.

Now that Spirit is out, there seems to be a wave of people
coming back in asking questions. I also see a lot of people giving horrible or wrong advice, and the occasional right one.

Since I trust you 2 the most, I was wondering if you guys could answer my question:

I have a 3GS, 3.1, first generation, never JB before. What's the best thing I could do to JB? I do not need to unlock, as I use AT&T.

Should I just use Spirit? Is it as good as any other JB by Geohot? Will I be able to do the EXACT same things as the past JBs? Is the only difference it bein on the user end? Any repercussions? Should I wait for a JB that's not user-end? I heard Apple can brick user-end JBs, is this true? And if so, reversable through recovery mode?

CAN I use spirit? Do I need to upgrade to 3.3?

In the end, it just comes down to me not knowing if I should wait for a Geohot or Dev Team JB, or just go ahead and use Spirit. I'm just off put by Spirit, as I don't have as much knowledge about it as I do with regular JB.

Thank you guys for any response.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Bless your heart! If you don't need to unlock, then the Spirit jb is for you.

Go ahead and do a sync to iTunes to make sure everything's ... well, in sync. Next thing you'll need to do is update to 3.1.3.

Then go ahead and run the Spirit jb. It runs as fast, if not faster, than Geohot's Blackra1n. Very simple, totally painless experience. When it's done, Cydia will be installed on your iPhone and you're good to go.

If you ever need to unjailbreak, best bet is to sync, then restore as new, then backup from your last sync.

Good luck!

ElectricDoodie

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply! I appreciate it. That puts me at ease. I'll go ahead and do that. Thanks.

I guess I'll stick with Spirit, until Geohot releases the JB when 4.0 comes out.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
The only reason you might not use Spirit is if you ever want to unlock pre 4.0.

But, if you are planning on keeping your 3GS, just updated to 3.1.3, use spirit to jailbreak and welcome to the club :)

Jailbreaking opens up a LOT of options to functionality Apple otherwise doesn't let you have....yet. :)

Wiltron

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Personally, userland Jailbreaks such as Spirit can easily be patched, resulting in users flooding our inboxes with "ZOMG ACCIDENTALLY UPGRADED!!" messages..

Personally, since you're only on 3.1, upgrade to 3.1.2 and use Blackra1n. It is a tethered JB, so if your phone frequently dies from lack of battery or whatever, you'll need to plug it into a computer and run the JB tool again to get it back. If you're always near a computer like me, go with 3.1.2/Blackrain. If you're out and about more often, use Spirit and 3.1.3.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Personally, userland Jailbreaks such as Spirit can easily be patched, resulting in users flooding our inboxes with "ZOMG ACCIDENTALLY UPGRADED!!" messages..

Personally, since you're only on 3.1, upgrade to 3.1.2 and use Blackra1n. It is a tethered JB, so if your phone frequently dies from lack of battery or whatever, you'll need to plug it into a computer and run the JB tool again to get it back. If you're always near a computer like me, go with 3.1.2/Blackrain. If you're out and about more often, use Spirit and 3.1.3.

He's never jailbroken, and thus cannot upgrade to 3.1.2 with pwnage or snowbreeze as iTunes will reject the firmware as it's no longer signed and he doesn't have SHSH blobs saved in Cydia.

ElectricDoodie

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
He's never jailbroken, and thus cannot upgrade to 3.1.2 with pwnage or snowbreeze as iTunes will reject the firmware as it's no longer signed and he doesn't have SHSH blobs saved in Cydia.

Exactly. I've tried in the past. This is the reason I was asking for Lvcifer and Alli to answer; don't want a flood of incorrect and misleading advices. And I believe my 3GS wouldn't be tethered, as it's a first gen.

Thanks to everyone else, too. Alli has answered my question and I'll be Spiriting it up once I get home.

en0c

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
@Alli
If you restore as new and then back up from last sync then what's the point of setting the iPhone as new in the first place?
I would say best and "safest" way to do it, is to restore as new and never use a backup...

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
@Alli
If you restore as new and then back up from last sync then what's the point of setting the iPhone as new in the first place?
I would say best and "safest" way to do it, is to restore as new and never use a backup...

When she says "backup from your last sync" I think she means as a way to restore your contacts, apps, and such, not a "restore from backup".

A sync to bring over contacts, apps, etc, won't restore old jb data like a restore from backup can.

Wiltron

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
You guys do realize, that you don't really need to be signed to JB right?

I've jailbroken friends brand new phones with 3.1.3 from the factory.

Set your hosts file to read 127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com
Shift click to restore to 3.1.2
Upon first 1015 error, use iRecovery to get out of boot loop recovery screen

I did this not even 3 hours ago to a friend, who just bought it from Rogers in the Upper Canada Mall, brand new in a box. Worked flawlessly. Cydia reports that it has 3.1.3 hashes on file, and not 3.1.2, but its clearly working.

Unlocks don't work on 3.1.3/5.12.01, but JB's do..

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Exactly. Backup on the iPhone doesn't mean the same as it means on Palm, Windows Mobile, or even your desktop. It's almost a reverse of what we're used to.

You restore as new to clear everything. Then backup to your iPhone to restore contacts, settings, games, the important stuff. It won't bring back any j/b info at all.

When she says "backup from your last sync" I think she means as a way to restore your contacts, apps, and such, not a "restore from backup".

A sync to bring over contacts, apps, etc, won't restore old jb data like a restore from backup can.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
ALSO, and I apologize for being late to the game, Spirit, like blackra1n, does not add afc2 support.

What's that mean? Well, if you're like me and don't like to SSH, because you'd prefer USB access instead (also known as "USB-SSH", even though it's not a real SSH) then you'd have to go to Cydia and add "afc2add".

STAY AWAY FROM ROCK. It WILL f**k your phone up. Maybe not right away, but it will.

Spirit is a solid jailbreak. It's as good as blackra1n. As long as you don't need to unlock, you can't go wrong with Spirit. Like everyone else has said, create a backup in iTunes as a fallback, just in case.

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
What exactly does Apple do to patch something like spirit?

Come out with os 3.1.4, and tell us it fixes bugs, when in reality it just plugs the hole? I wasn't around at the time, but isn't that what happened going from 3.1.2 to 3.1.3?

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
No, they'll release a new version of iTunes.

That's another thing - to ALL SPIRIT JB'ERS - as of right now, if you want to keep your current jailbreak, DO NOT UPGRADE ITUNES. Just don't do it. There's no need.

It will patch what Spirit requires to effectively jailbreak you.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
what exactly is the issue with Rock and what is the best way to get completely away from it
apt backup, iTunes backup, re-jb & load cydia only?

also LVCIFER, i've sent you a couple of pm's and not sure if you are even receiving them...

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
No, they'll release a new version of iTunes.

That's another thing - to ALL SPIRIT JB'ERS - as of right now, if you want to keep your current jailbreak, DO NOT UPGRADE ITUNES. Just don't do it. There's no need.

It will patch what Spirit requires to effectively jailbreak you.

Gotcha, thanks.

mgregg99

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site

I sent you a PM, but never heard back from you.

Anyhow, I upgraded to 3.13 running the very latest iTunes software and then used Spirit to jailbreak. Other than having to reinstall my JB apps it was a quick and painless process. The phones been running fine ever since.

What is it about the latest iTunes software that is a problem with Spirit? I've synced several times and haven't noticed any issues, nor have I lost my jailbreak. Just curious.

Mike

en0c

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I sent you a PM, but never heard back from you.

Anyhow, I upgraded to 3.13 running the very latest iTunes software and then used Spirit to jailbreak. Other than having to reinstall my JB apps it was a quick and painless process. The phones been running fine ever since.

What is it about the latest iTunes software that is a problem with Spirit? I've synced several times and haven't noticed any issues, nor have I lost my jailbreak. Just curious.

Mike

The current iTunes version works fine with Spirit-jb. But if Apple releases an update for iTunes, say iTunes 9.1.2, this will close the exploit that Spirit uses to jailbreak your iPhone.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2