Downgrading?

Bazerk83

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
Ok I am fully aware that 3.1.3 jailbreak is not possible (even though snowbreeze itself claims to be able to do so....go figure).

What if the phone is downgraded from 3.1.3 to 3.1.2.

My question is.... is this possible? I did try it once and it didn't seem to work so I wanted to ask, potentially, an expert on this or someone who may have tried it themselves (and hopefully succeded).

If it were possible to downgrade to 3.1.2 would it then be possible to jailbreak my iPhone 3GS.

Also. I'm trying to figure out if I have the old bootrom or not. I've been hunting around the internet for an answer but nobody seems to be stating a clear answer.

All I know is something to do with new vs old models and the 4th and 5th digits of the serial number.

Well My iPhone is only a couple of months old however the serial number starts 85002R....

Model: MC131B
Modem FW: 05.12.01

So does this have the old bootrom or am I totally screwed with it being a new phone + having 3.1.3 FW?

Some clear answers would be nice guys because I've found a ton of sites saying 3.1.3 is now jailbreakable with Snowbreeze and even youtube videos showing it to be possible.

(Yes, I've read the sticky)

Thanks guys.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
3.1.3 CAN be jailbroken on the 2G + unlocked. It can be jailbroken with redsn0w on the 3G, but not unlocked unless you use sn0wbreeze/PwnageTool. The 3G can be jailbroken only if it has the old bootrom, was previously jailbroken, and only through sn0wbreeze/PwnageTool. It can then be unlocked by ultrasn0w or blacksn0w.

Now, to obtain information about your bootrom, go to ih8sn0w.com and use their pogram - f0recast. It gives you all that info.

You're on 05.12 baseband. You cannot unlock.

Downgrading your OS ("operating system") is possible only if you hve 3.1.2 or lower SHSH hashes on file with Cydia.

Bazerk83

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply and ALL the answers I was looking for :)

So basically I'm screwed because of my baseband?

Well that sucks....

I'm pretty sure I don't have 3.1.2 or lower SHSH hashes on file with Cydia because I have no idea what SHSH hashes are lol.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Ok, if your baseband is only screwing you if you intend on unlocking and using your phone on a different carrier.

It may be your bootrom that's screwing you up. If you have the newer bootrom, you won't even be able to jailbreak yet. The good news is that soon enough, 3.2 is being released, and that jailbreak and unlock will be released shortly thereafter.

Bazerk83

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
and I've just read that to downgrade, you need to have had the phone previously jailbroken.... which is the most stupid logic I've ever read in my life.

Ah well.... no jailbreak for me then.

:(

Bazerk83

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
Ok, if your baseband is only screwing you if you intend on unlocking and using your phone on a different carrier.

It may be your bootrom that's screwing you up. If you have the newer bootrom, you won't even be able to jailbreak yet. The good news is that soon enough, 3.2 is being released, and that jailbreak and unlock will be released shortly thereafter.

That is good news.

No I just want to jailbreak it not unlock it. So baseband isn't an issue with jailbreaking?

I guess my next step is to download f0recast and see what bootrom I have.

Bazerk83

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
f0recast results

Bootloader: 6.4

Model: MC131

Jailbreakable?: Only if SHSH is saved.

Unlockable: NO

Tethered?: Maybe - Depends if Refurb

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Aha. It's saying that you can only jailbreak if you've previously been jailbroken, so you're probably sh*t out of luck man. In order to ave your SHSH hashes saved, you have to have previously been jailbroken. That's what they mean.

Bazerk83

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
ARGH! its like a vicious circle.

I'll take your advice mate and just wait for 3.2 lol.

I know I sound like a complete n00b. When I first got my iPhone my big mistake was updating the firmware without knowing that is EXACTLY what will stop me jailbreaking.

At the time though.... I hadn't even heard of jailbreaking.

So I'm an innocent and unknowing victim lol.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Honestly, 95% of the time, the hackers release a jailbreak for EVERY Firmware. The problem is that say that an upgrade firmware is released today, the jailbreak tools will be released within approx 2 weeks. So it's NEVER a good idea to upgrade as soon as the official Apple upgrade is release. It's always better to wait for a bit. :)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner