Question about Jailbreaking my Iphone

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I'm with Alli. What do you want your iPhone to do? Personally, I only use my jailbreak for theming. The iTunes ecosystem is amazing imo.

intense666

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
I hope what I say doesn't violate the Terms of Use of these forums. I want to be able to drag and drop songs from limewire (or to sound legal, Barak Obama speech clips) like I can with my Sansa MP3 player. There are some youtube clips that I want to put onto my iPhone. I filmed a really great clip with my iPhone and I want to be able to put that on youtube but I can't transfer anything to or from my iPhone. Is Jailbreaking really that big of a deal?

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Um... iTunes (computer program) syncs ANY mp3 to your iPhone, regardless of where it came from.

When you connect your iPhone to the computer, windows reads the device as a digital camera. You literally go to "My Computer>My iPhone>DCIM Folder, and you CAN drag & drop your phone recorded movies on to your computer.

OR, if you have a YouTube account, you simply go into "Photos" on your iPhone, tap on "Share", then tap on "YouTube".

And the iPhone does this all without needing to be jailbroken.

Dude, have you even used your device in ANY way other that to hit the power button and turn it on?

Don't take this the wrong way, but seeing how you have no idea what your phone does, how to work the SIMPLE, computer version of iTunes, I'm telling you the following;

a) the iPhone does ALL OF WHAT YOU WANTED without the need to jailbreak.
B) if you, specifically, attempt to jailbreak your phone, with no technological savvy or know-how, you're going to destroy your device.

I just find it amazing how paranoid you are of iTunes, especially without even using it.

I mean honestly, you act as if tr program sends e-Mail reports directly to the FBI's cyber crime unit.

You do realize that people who own CD's rip the mp3s off and use them on their iPods and iPhones, right? How do you think someone will be able to tell the difference between a purchased mp3 and a 'downloaded' mp3?

And mods - this isn't a discussion about pirated music, just to be clear, I'm just trying to understand this posters paranoia, and to understand why he is so afraid of using iTunes.....

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
As far as taking clips from YouTube, that can be done, but only by jailbreaking an installing an app called "YourTube", for anyone else interested.

But you'd need ifile to view them on your device, and I think that may be beyond our poster here so I won't go any further on that one.

intense666

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Well guys, thanks for your help. I don't know what the big scary deal or the negative effects of jailbreaking that you guys feared was but a musical genius friend of mine explained nearly everything there is to know about iphone syncing, iTunes, and so on. I also realized that my iPhone is actually 3G S (Before someone asks why I purchased something not knowing what it was, it was a gift). My friend said the only things to be cautious of are: To not update the firmware and to never shut off the iPhone (standby is ok). Are "cracked" applications legal? Thanks for your help again.

intense666

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Ok, thanks for the advise. Are there multiple ways to jailbreak an iPhone? If there is, then this only applies to my friend's way but he said that I shouldn't ever turn off my iPhone otherwise it won't turn on (or I think he said that the jailbreak will be erased). The only solution to that would be connecting it to his laptop again to fix the problem, is this true? I don't want to take the risk of attempting, he lives far away.

bmts

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
yes im trying to just jailbreak my iphone my ver 3.1.3 and my firmware is 05.12.01 is there and easy way to this . i am ok with my carrier and jut want to jaialbreak

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Well for the newer versions of the iPhone, specifically all 3G models manufactured after October of 2009, if you jailbreak your iPhone using ANY method, it will be what's called a 'tethered jailbreak'. Here's a quick copy and paste to what that is:

TETHERED JAILBREAK!!!

Do a search for "tethered jailbreak"!

If this is a new 3G, then it can still be jailbroken or unlocked, but you just can't ever let the battery die, or reboot the iPhone when the iPhone is not near a computer.

Why?

The phone is new. Apple updated the hardware on newer models. Ultimately, when you get the "Connect to iTunes" message, DO NOT RESTORE.

Connect the iPhone to the computer, spend 30 seconds, run Blackra1n RC3/4, RE-jailbreak, and that's it.

It takes less than a minute.

ALSO, being that this is a new iPhone 3G, that requires a tethered jailbreak, I also suggest getting a battery case.

A good one is "Case-Mate Fuel" (google it) but it's ugly as sin. It will however, act as a case AND a charger. Or you could go to BestBuy an pick up a "InCase PowerSlider" case.

That, and a car charger. That way the iPhone never goes off. If you have a laptop, that's ideal/superb.

Let me know how that goes.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
ALSO, if you go into Cydia and install apps that require you to reboot your iPhone, the same thing will happen - you'll have to connect it to a PC and re-run blackra1n or redsn0w.

intense666

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks LVCIFER, that also answers my question. My friend jailbroke my iPhone on his laptop but if its as easy as you say to jailbreak, can I jailbreak it on my own computer using your advice rather than go all the way to his house again? Will I lose anything at all by jailbreaking on my own laptop after my iPhone reboots? How often do apps require a reboot? If I do download an app and the final step is to reboot, can I just never reboot (meaning that I won't be able to delete the app since its not fully installed)? Final question: Is there a downside (such as reduced lifespan) to not being able to shut off my iPhone?

mysterio

May 7, 2009
Visit site
See my responses in bold.
Thanks LVCIFER, that also answers my question. My friend jailbroke my iPhone on his laptop but if its as easy as you say to jailbreak, can I jailbreak it on my own computer using your advice rather than go all the way to his house again? YesWill I lose anything at all by jailbreaking on my own laptop after my iPhone reboots? NopeHow often do apps require a reboot? Depends on the appIf I do download an app and the final step is to reboot, can I just never reboot (meaning that I won't be able to delete the app since its not fully installed)? If you don't reboot, the app won't be installed properly in some cases. Final question: Is there a downside (such as reduced lifespan) to not being able to shut off my iPhone?I don't think there is. You normally charge the iPhone even if it's not fully drained so it's just making extra sure you don't reach low battery levels.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2